Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 PM

Default Stompbox delay with midi controller

Hi, I have the 11 rack with expansion pack and I just got a Behringer fcb 1010 with 11prom to go with it.
The setup works mostly as advertised except that there is a delay of about a quarter to half a second between when i hit a pedal to turn on a stompbox effect and when the effect actually engages. It's pretty noticeable and distracts from musical timing of adding effects for me (and, I would imagine, most folks).
I can remember having a pod long ago that had this problem, making it unusable live--is this delay inherent to the 11 rack, the behringer fcb 1010, or midi itself? or a problem with my setup?
To be clear, this delay occurs when engaging any 11 rack stompbox effect from within a given rig. I realize there is also a short delay when switching rigs, but that is a different issue, I think.
Thanks for any feedback on this.
Paul
Old 03-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Stompbox delay with midi controller

Ive had the Uno and the 11prom. I never noticed any delay in the actual stomp part of the 11prom, but the preset changes were a little slower in the 11prom compared to the Uno chip. (at least for me) I would contact Dave at Eureka Sound. He is just the best at problem solving. Ive since gone back to the Uno, but not because of the delay in switching.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Avid

There should be almost zero delay when switching off/on effects. It sounds like the MIDI controller may be sending extra data or have another issue. This is not an Eleven Rack problem, most likely.

Definitely contact Dave at Eureka and let him know about this one...I know he's continuing to work on improving the 11R PROM...
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks, I will contact Eureka sound on this issue and report back.
Paul
Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 AM

Dave here from EurekaSound.

Yes, there is a very small delay from pressing the pedal to sending the MIDI CC command, which is inherent in the way that the FCB1010 works. Essentially there is a microprocessor in the FCB1010 that is "watching" the pedals & expression pedals. When the microprocessor sees that the pedal changed, it then sends out the appropriate MIDI command. But this whole process is measured in milliseconds.

But we'll take a look at the code and scope the delay out to see if there is anything we can squeeze in the process.