Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 AM

Default Re: HD Native now on Digi website

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
This is more accurate. From the Airusers blog.

Here's a quick chart to show street prices and what the street price for an Avid system could end up at:

Apple Logic - $500
Apogee Symphony 64 - $995
Apogee Symphony IO - $1700
16 input card - $2000
16 output card - $2000

TOTAL - $7200

Avid Pro Tools HD FREE
Avid PT HD Native - $3000
Avid HD I/O 16in/out - $3650

TOTAL - $6650

What if I don't need so many IOs? I can use whatever a sound card that is compatible with Mac OS. This will only cost me 1500 bucks to get start with Logic. But I can't get started with Protools HD Native at this price. It's funny!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghand View Post
What if I don't need so many IOs? I can use whatever a sound card that is compatible with Mac OS. This will only cost me 1500 bucks to get start with Logic. But I can't get started with Protools HD Native at this price. It's funny!
A Mac is not the only thing you need if you want to get serious with recording with Logic.

This is the biggest issue I have with people comparing prices. Yes... all by itself, Logic is much cheaper. But a Mac does not have decent I/O. Sure, you have some digital I/O and a tiny 1/8" line in... but if that satisfies your needs, you don't need HD.

It seems a lot of people want HD to say they have it, and wish they could get it for the price of Logic. That's never going to happen. If all you need a 2 I/O... get an MBox. If you need ADC... get Mellowmuse ATA. It's $50. If all you want out of Pro Tools is a few arbitrary features... you are using it for the wrong reasons, afaic. There are indeed other more affordable systems out there. Those of us who are willing to pay the premium, are those of us who use Pro Tools for more than the features it doesn't have.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
This is more accurate. From the Airusers blog.

Here's a quick chart to show street prices and what the street price for an Avid system could end up at:

Apple Logic - $500
Apogee Symphony 64 - $995
Apogee Symphony IO - $1700
16 input card - $2000
16 output card - $2000

TOTAL - $7200

Avid Pro Tools HD FREE
Avid PT HD Native - $3000
Avid HD I/O 16in/out - $3650

TOTAL - $6650
Those are list prices on the Apogee I/O and street prices on the Avid I/O. Are the Apogee prices non-negotiable? I certainly haven't seen the Avid I/O advertised below list (even at Alto Music) so I wouldn't be so sure that you couldn't come in a little closer than that using street prices for Apogee. If you were to compare them straight up at list, the Avid setup would be 800 bucks more than the Logic/Apogee rig ($3000 HD Native + $5000 Avid IO 16x16). Am I confused?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM

You get what you pay for.

Compare prices all you want. I wouldn't care if Logic were free.. IT BLOWS.

Apologies.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Absolutely not. Logic is not Logic LE. Logic includes everything in the software version for $500. Pro Tools LE is missing many many many software features beyond just ADC.

My point is that if somebody wants to work in Pro Tools HD, you have to pay $6.5k. If somebody wants to work on Logic, they can pay as little as $750.
I know plenty of people who do great work on 002's and 003's as well. I think the thing to wrap our heads around is the target audience for HD systems is not songwriters, composers, or anyone who might use Logic, DP, Cuebase, nuendo etc. The target audience is Audio Post production, film dubbing stages, live music venues. While I dont think this is a watershed moment it is a move toward the disappearance of TDM and process cards. the key for that IMO will be the revamp or replacement of RTAS, which is hopefully down the line. Not to start a Logic bashing thread but I use both and LP9 has put that program in a downward spiral IMO. Buggy and no bug fixes in about six months.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxicjoy View Post
I know plenty of people who do great work on 002's and 003's as well. I think the thing to wrap our heads around is the target audience for HD systems is not songwriters, composers, or anyone who might use Logic, DP, Cuebase, nuendo etc. The target audience is Audio Post production, film dubbing stages, live music venues. While I dont think this is a watershed moment it is a move toward the disappearance of TDM and process cards. the key for that IMO will be the revamp or replacement of RTAS, which is hopefully down the line. Not to start a Logic bashing thread but I use both and LP9 has put that program in a downward spiral IMO. Buggy and no bug fixes in about six months.
As was said before... TDM ain't going anywhere.

Native was never meant as a replacement, only as a step between LE and HD.

Dedicated processing will always have its place in audio. Avid is going to refresh their TDM cards, for sure.

Personally, I see great potential for Native in both music and post. But you're right... plenty of great work comes from 002/003s. Can't say my 003 has ever done me wrong.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-07-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxicjoy View Post
Not to start a Logic bashing thread but I use both and LP9 has put that program in a downward spiral IMO. Buggy and no bug fixes in about six months.
Although I have owned L8 since it first came out but I actually only started using recently. I like it alot for certain things. FWIW I still prefer to mix in PT. I was considering upgrading to L9 but I may want to rethink that if there problems with it. . . . Anyway I am glad to see that there is movement from Avid regarding PT. And I think that the Native systems are a step in the right direction for future development. However I don't plan on updating anything any time soon and I am very happy with my PT HD2 system!
Joe
Old 10-07-2010, 01:46 PM

please guys, keep talking. you're keeping the value of my HD3 Accel rig up long enough for me to sell it to buy this thing.

so please - keep saying what a waste this is, how it'll never replace TDM, etc etc.

let me know if anyone wants my HD3 Accel cards and 192 interface please via private mail.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
A Mac is not the only thing you need if you want to get serious with recording with Logic.

This is the biggest issue I have with people comparing prices. Yes... all by itself, Logic is much cheaper. But a Mac does not have decent I/O. Sure, you have some digital I/O and a tiny 1/8" line in... but if that satisfies your needs, you don't need HD.

It seems a lot of people want HD to say they have it, and wish they could get it for the price of Logic. That's never going to happen. If all you need a 2 I/O... get an MBox. If you need ADC... get Mellowmuse ATA. It's $50. If all you want out of Pro Tools is a few arbitrary features... you are using it for the wrong reasons, afaic. There are indeed other more affordable systems out there. Those of us who are willing to pay the premium, are those of us who use Pro Tools for more than the features it doesn't have.
+1
---
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 8 GB RAM | 192 I/O | HD2 Accel | UAD2 Duo | Mac OS 10.6.4 | Pro Tools HD 9.02 | HEAT | UAD Plugins 5.4.1 | Novation Automap 3.0
NI Komplete 6 with Kontakt 4.0 + libraries: | L.A. Scoring Strings | Symphobia | True Strike 1 + 2 | Galaxy II | Scarbee K.G.B.
SoundToys Native 3.1.1 | Waves Ren. Maxx TDM 7.1 | Melodyne Plugin 1.0.4 | Superior Drummer 2.2.1 | Addictive Drums 1.5.1 | Ampeg SVX 1.1.3

Old 10-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Thanks Tony.. Will there be a bone thrown in for the CPTK finally? I'd hate to think it was a dead-end.
No details to share at the moment but CPTK will not be dead ended. There will be bones to throw.