Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2009, 06:47 AM

Default Anyone using Vienna Ensemble PRO with PT?

I can't even try the demo as you need Vienna Keys to do that and I am really interested in this product.

If you're using it with PT, can you please elaborate on your experience with it and your setup and how it's going. etc?

Also.... can this be used to stream audio from Logic into PT?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Anyone using Vienna Ensemble PRO with PT?

There is a massive thread about it on the EW forums:

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/s...ad.php?t=23845

I have not used it yet. From what I've read, it does not work with EW PLAY.

I have been using Audioport universal, jbridge, bidule and ipmidi with PT for a few months now. With Audioport your slaves need to be PCs, and your DAW that recieves the audio must accept VSTs. I use bidule as a workaround for this, just use bidule to recieve the VST, and rewire it into PT.

Jbridge allows 64 bit plugins to run in audioport even though it's a 32 bit program. Since I run it in a 64 bit OS, I can access all the RAM I want.

The main advantages VE pro has over my setup are that all of the midi, audio, and bridging of 64/32 bit plugins/hosts is all part of the same program. And of course it can use macs as slaves, it has an RTAS reciever, and you can run it on the same machine as your main daw as a separate program and stream audio into the daw.

Quote:

Also.... can this be used to stream audio from Logic into PT?
Not directly from Logic. It is a host for VI's that streams audio one way from the VE pro host to a VST or RTAS plugin. What you could do, is send midi to VE pro from logic, load your VI's in VE pro, and then have PT receieve the audio from it.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 AM

I have been using it on PT8.01 - works absolutely great. I have two PC slaves and also run it as a native slave running into a large PT session. One PC is running several instances of Kontakt (5gigs of samples) The other PC is running 6 instances Kontakt (4 gigs) plus one of PLAY, and various plugs.
On the Native, I have RMX, Omni, Kontakt and tons of plugs, buses, multi outs etc all feeding back to PT.

It doesn't work with Play in Mac, but most of us have gotten it to work with Play when it's on a PC slave. But, Play is the ONLY thing that doesn't work (that figures) Everything else does.

I think VE Pro is one of the most brilliant apps to come out in a long time.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 AM

PLAY does work great with audioport, but there again that's PC only. I'm using Jbridge to allow 64 bit PLAY to be hosted in Audioport(32bit). I have no problems using all 6GB of my RAM.

I may still get VE pro eventually.

tripit - how do you like the "Epic orchestra Pack" sounds that come with VE pro? That might be enough for me to justify buying it.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
.....What you could do, is send midi to VE pro from logic, load your VI's in VE pro, and then have PT receieve the audio from it.
Hi, I like this idea. Could you please explain this routing in more detail. How would you receive the audio in Pro Tools when the instance is in a Logic channel strip?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bag View Post
Hi, I like this idea. Could you please explain this routing in more detail. How would you receive the audio in Pro Tools when the instance is in a Logic channel strip?

Thanks
The VI is not instantiated in a Logic Channel strip. You basically create an external midi track in Logic, and send it to one of the midi ports that VE pro is listening for. VE pro is then open as a separate program, hosting the VI. VE pro's audio output is recieved in Pro Tools as an RTAS insert.

This gives you a huge advantage in that your template can remain loaded in VE pro, and when you change sessions in Logic you don't have to purge/reload all of your VI's.

The only disadvantage is that you don't have access to audio routing inside of Logic, but you should be able to load other Logic plugins (assuming VE pro hosts AU) and/or route audio in VE pro or Pro Tools. IMO Logic's main strength is as a sequencer, I'd rather leave mixing tasks to Pro Tools.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM

After trying this, the only caveat is you have to use outside midi (hardware/ipmidi or mol). VEP's midi is exclusive to VEP, meaning it does not appear as a port in Logic or PT. VEP is a godsend for hosting instruments outside of your main app.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bag View Post
After trying this, the only caveat is you have to use outside midi (hardware/ipmidi or mol). VEP's midi is exclusive to VEP, meaning it does not appear as a port in Logic or PT. VEP is a godsend for hosting instruments outside of your main app.
Interesting. I know when I started using ipmidi, I seem to remember that I had to configure it in the audio midi setup to get Logic to see that the ports were there. If this isn't possible with VE pro, I guess ipmidi is free to use on a mac anyways, so hosting an outside instance of VE pro won't cost you anything extra...
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
PLAY does work great with audioport, but there again that's PC only. I'm using Jbridge to allow 64 bit PLAY to be hosted in Audioport(32bit). I have no problems using all 6GB of my RAM.

I may still get VE pro eventually.

tripit - how do you like the "Epic orchestra Pack" sounds that come with VE pro? That might be enough for me to justify buying it.
I didn't get the Epic Orch pack because I already own their stuff. But, it certainly worth it, the VSL stuff is excellent.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripit View Post
I have been using it on PT8.01 - works absolutely great.

I think VE Pro is one of the most brilliant apps to come out in a long time.
+12

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)