Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Waves License Centre = Kafkaesque Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Cool I love happy endings.

Celemony used to to do the same thing back when they had challange and response auth.

I'm a self admitted wifi junkie. Always swapping adapters and tweaking the network.

I thought I read some place that Waves phones home every ninety days. I have't Wupped up and won't until they ship AAX and as such haven't read much about the WLC plan. I know they were offering a choice of WLC or iLok at one point. I'm hoping that still the case when I upgrade.

Thanks again!

Never had that problem with Melodyne, though my computer rarely touches the internet, so that may have been why - moved the license to iLok as soon as they went that route.

I remember a few vendors (possibly including Waves) discussing the idea of the 90 day re-synch, but I don't think it ever got put in to practise.

I'm afraid you're SOL re. moving your post v9 Waves licenses to iLok. They only offer the cloud based authorisations now, and it has to be either to the computer itself, or a USB device (drive or stick).

I've had way too many USB sticks crap out on me to risk going that route, and the last thing I want is another "dongle" alongside the iLok (which I happen to like), and taking up yet another USB slot.

Authorising to the computer made most sense for me under the circumstances - hopefully now that's solved, I wont need to reconsider that choice later.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Waves License Centre = Kafkaesque Nightmare = FIXED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
What they did, and still do offer, is the choice of putting the license on a USB stick. For all practical purposes, this would work like an Ilok, and would avoid all the issues discussed here.

That option might have avoided this specific issue, but I chose purposely not to go that route for a number of reasons :

1. I've had way too many USB sticks crap out on me to risk going that route. They're just too flakey in terms of reliability / manufacturer quality control / filesystem integrity / and not robust enough in terms of the OS (and the user) potentially corrupting data, to risk housing authorisations.

2. The last thing I want is another "dongle" to have to carry around, or to have hanging off the computer alongside the iLok (which I happen to like).

3. I don't want to have yet another USB device permanently taking up yet another USB slot, or to have to have a USB hub hanging off my Laptop, with the iLok and a USB stick poking out in all directions, and generally getting in the way.

Authorising to the computer made most sense for me under the circumstances.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
except it looks like any other USB drive to the OS and is accessible as such
we have had a licence go missing because of this hored system

Exactly.

Dumb system - so far I have not been sufficiently tempted by Don't Crack's partners that use this method.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Waves License Centre = Kafkaesque Nightmare = FIXED

Quote:
Celemony used to to do the same thing back when they had challange and response auth.
And Bias Peak would scan the local network looking for other copies of itself authorized with the same license.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
And Bias Peak would scan the local network looking for other copies of itself authorized with the same license.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk
Really. That's pretty clever and draconian at the same time. BIAS went under and their website expired on 3/16/2013. Previously it was working and folks could get authed up. Not confidence inspiring.

I haven't had any thumb drives die. Nearly all of mine were Sandisk Cruisers. It funny because I just came across them in a drawer. I think I have 40GB of thumb drive space left over from the sneaker net days. The one advantage I can see is that you could take your installers with you on the drive with the auth.

I suppose the WLC makes the most sense. And at least we now know its MAC based as far as generating a system ID. I would still rather have iLok. Which I have actually never had fail me.

I'll worry about Waves after they release AAX. I kinda wonder if a FB campaign or something might change their mind on iLok. They did on WUP. Its not like the new systems been more secure. Waves seems to have taken a liking to swimming upstream lately.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM

I'm also not fond of the Waves new method. 99% of us already have iLoks and I personally have never had an issue with iLok that wasn't my own fault. With authorization codes, every time I reload or restore from a drive image, I have to do a little dance with IK and ToonTrack plugins, so there's another vote for iLok(for me anyway). Not that I "love" iLok....just that it seems to work better than other methods(and I do buy the ZDT coverage for my main iLok2 with all the important stuff).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I haven't had any thumb drives die. Nearly all of mine were Sandisk Cruisers.

I actually found Sandisk Cruisers to be one of the worst culprits, having two die within less than a year.

Samsung was another unreliable one for me, and a couple of others, the manufacturers of which I can't remember right now, but I'm sure I've still got them in a drawer somewhere.

I'm a stickler for not hot-swapping these things, though on the occasions that it's unavoidable, they are always properly unmounted / ejected, so that wasn't a factor. Neither was a possible faulty USB slot, as these USB stick failures happened over a number of systems, both Mac & PC.

Quote:

And at least we now know its MAC based as far as generating a system ID.

I'm assuming that means that regardless of who's WiFi router I use to connect to the internet in the future, my Laptop's unique system ID will remain the same, as it's linked to my Laptop's WiFi radio.

If that's not the case, this system of theirs is screwed, and they are effectively forcing us to use a USB stick as an iLok alternative.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 PM

I use one of the tiny HP thumb drives. The part that sticks out is smaller than the part that goes in(insert joke here)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I use one of the tiny HP thumb drives. The part that sticks out is smaller than the part that goes in(insert joke here)

I'd be afraid of loosing something that small. My iLoks connected to a cinderblock with a tow chain (Hey its Cleveland ya know I'd probably want my Waves auths connected to a piece of guard rail or something.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-21-2013, 02:31 PM

Josef K time again...

Problem started again yesterday - though the licenses are present and correct according to WLC.

Moved the licenses back to the cloud, rebooted computer, and moved the licenses back from the cloud to the Laptop.

The only way to get Waves licenses to happily pass Pro Tools boot-up plugin scan, is to have the computer permanently connected to the internet.

That aint gonna happen!

Unless I'm forgetting a final step to authorise the licenses, after having associated them with this particular computer on WLC, I can't think what else is causing the problem.

Waves goodbye to Waves...