Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Dissapearing 1394 (possible resolution?)

Quote:
Quote:
Hello. I've just built my quad, but I'm not sure if Windows uses both cpus (Opteron 270). How can I check this? I can't see the cpus in the task manager. Is it possible to check up in PT how much cpus are in use?
And another question: Does somebody of you use a boot manager?

with pro tools launched, go to edit > playback engine. under here you can select your cpu's. you should be able to select 4. also under windos there is a cpu meter to see how hard they are working
Thank you for the fast answer. I've a big problem: There is only one cpu running. I don't knon why the others aren't functioning. I don't know what to do, can you help me?

My specs:
Tyan S2877ANRF-RS
2x Opteron 270
2x 1Gb Ram (the same like shane)
Windows XP Pro OEM
Old 11-07-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Allenstein OctaPC and Quadzilla Machine

Am I being a doughnut? I have all the components for a Shan-based quad in my hands but can't wake the beast.

What's confusing me is that the (Tyan 2877) motherboard powers-up when all I have attached is the (OCZ Powerstream 520w) power supply - any MB I've used before needs the power button jumpers on the front panel header connected before this occurs. Is this a jumper problem?

Ruudus
Old 11-07-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the fast answer. I've a big problem: There is only one cpu running. I don't knon why the others aren't functioning. I don't know what to do, can you help me?

when you say one cpu, you mean pro tools will let you select 2?? the first thing i would check is the ram and it is in the right dimm slots. shan should have it on the first page. after that i would check and make sure the cpu is mounted correctly.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-07-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Am I being a doughnut? I have all the components for a Shan-based quad in my hands but can't wake the beast.

What's confusing me is that the (Tyan 2877) motherboard powers-up when all I have attached is the (OCZ Powerstream 520w) power supply - any MB I've used before needs the power button jumpers on the front panel header connected before this occurs. Is this a jumper problem?

Ruudus
Much, much earlier in the thread, we had some confusion on the jumpers. There was some confusion on which way the diagram was draw in respect to the actual direction while looking at the motherboard. It's been too long for me to remeber off the top of my head. But I believe your jumpers should be placed side by side; in other words, there are 2 rows of pins and no jumpers go across the rows. The stay side by side, next to each other withing each row.

Don't quote me on that........try to search earlier in the thread and double check that you're looking at the diagram correctly.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:

when you say one cpu, you mean pro tools will let you select 2?? the first thing i would check is the ram and it is in the right dimm slots. shan should have it on the first page. after that i would check and make sure the cpu is mounted correctly.
No, I mean that there is only one core, 2 Ghz . The Bios (v.1.05) and Windows too show 2Gb of ram. The ram is in slot CPU1dimm0 and CPU2dimm0. I double checked the mounting of the cpus. I wanted to do a dverb test, but I wasn't even able to run 32 Dverbs on my system . Is it a problem of Windows XP Pro OEM?

I thank everybody for a reply.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi!

Does anybody know the accuracy of AMDs list of supported Opteron 265 motherboards - from a Quadzilla point of view?

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/ResultsHandler/1,,30_182_869_8819^8821~68707,00.html

not sure, link was wrong, but the tyan on the first page and the asus k8n-dl are the ONLY tested ones.
Ok - thanks, I didn't see the Tyan model on their list though. But it is evident that it works after all

The old link seemed to require previous input, here's another one.

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors...tml?1155587435

Cheers,
-J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 11-08-2006, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Ruudus
Much, much earlier in the thread, we had some confusion on the jumpers. There was some confusion on which way the diagram was draw in respect to the actual direction while looking at the motherboard. It's been too long for me to remeber off the top of my head. But I believe your jumpers should be placed side by side; in other words, there are 2 rows of pins and no jumpers go across the rows. The stay side by side, next to each other withing each row.

Don't quote me on that........try to search earlier in the thread and double check that you're looking at the diagram correctly.
It is a mite confusing: the header pin colours on the tyan website do not even match the ones on the board! Am curious to know why the MB powered-up without a power switch though!? Anyone?

Ruudus
Old 11-08-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
It is a mite confusing: the header pin colours on the tyan website do not even match the ones on the board! Am curious to know why the MB powered-up without a power switch though!? Anyone?
The Tyan quad fires up as soon as the power supply is turned on. Apparently it doesn't matter if your front panel power switch is hooked up or not. Does anyone have a Tyan quad that doesn't start up that way?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:

The Tyan quad fires up as soon as the power supply is turned on. Apparently it doesn't matter if your front panel power switch is hooked up or not. Does anyone have a Tyan quad that doesn't start up that way?

That's how it works here. Even though there's a front case power switch, any time I switch the power supply off......as soon as I turn the power supply back on, the quad fires up. After that, I can use the front switch.

And the pins for the front panel connectors confused me also.......
Old 11-09-2006, 03:54 AM

Great *update* on the 1st post Shan and Matt P !

The saga continues.

Cheers,
- J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3