Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 06-19-2010, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Which drum program to buy?

I use Addictive Drums. The interface is great. It can remap to any major brand (or however you say it). Very real for me. And REALLY bug free. It doesn't take a big RTAS hit.

I like the interface because it is simple. You CAN dive deeper into the sounds if you like, but you do not have to. It might not be as deep as some others, but for writing, I find it totally indispensable.

And their add on kits (esp the Vistalite) are amazing. There are TONS of beats out there already for it, even though its one of the newer modules.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
No way. Next to sound quality, the number one feature of Superior 1 was a feature that no one talks about but it's HUGELY important. On the original S1 keyboard mapping, most of the 88 keys have different types of hits on them (see chaotic copy/paste at bottom from Superior 1.5 manual pdf.) There are so many more different types of hits in the original superior mapping (which everyone should use…or at least one of equal power.) This allows you the freedom to really express yourself.
Nothing there you can't do with BFD2. The key-mapping is insanely easy, and many kit pieces like hi-hats have 12+ different articulations, with up to 127 velocity layers. My guess is you really didn't spend much time with BFD2, because it's just as powerful, if not moreso than SD2. The only real difference is that you have to do a lot more of the mixing yourself (which I prefer).

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-21-2010, 11:51 AM

I've been using Addictive Drums for two years. Recently they did an update to the "Adrenaline Pack 1.5.1" and this was free. The interface is great. You can use the program two ways: plug and play, drop and drag; or you can delve into the depths and find out exactly how much went into this thing. It is as in depth a program as is out there. You can do pretty much anything with it. The kits sound realistic. You can easily adjust the volume of each piece in the kit. You can tune each piece of the kit. You can move mics on most pieces of the kit. And you can do this without getting into the tedious midi velocity editing.

The software does a sort of randomization of velocities so playing the midi track back and you get that one you really like it won't do it again exactly the same -- just like a real drummer. But what I usually do is lay out a scratch drum track, record the rest my bass and rhythm, then tweak the drum track to where I want it for the near final. Then I bus the midi and record a stereo audio track from it. Then I make the Addictive Drums track inactive. This way if I want to do any last minute changes i can go back to the AD track and do it and re-record the drum track.

I'd highly recommend the Retro Pak, and they've got $12 midi paks for various styles, including a "sloppy pak". I also recently picked up the Jazz Sticks Pak. The Jazz Brush Pak is also something I want in the future.

I give the program a 9.5/10. The .5 is that they don't have a Latin Pak ... yet, but I hear they're working on one. It's kind of moot for me now since I'm using Reason with Redrum for that at the moment. Redrum cannot compare on the drum kits though.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 PM

Ive used ezdrummer quite a bit and bfd, but i bought strike recently, and it unbelievable..i'd seriously recommend it for anyone using pt..it really has to be considered..