Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 01-20-2020, 01:54 PM

Default Re: All lights flashing on my D-Command

Hi,

Just a bit of extra info re the power supplies that might help. part numbers...

Faders board SNP-Z107
Led Board SNP-Z10B
Logic board SNP-9544

In the UK you can usually but these from Lee engineering, search google or ebay. or repaired by, Avanti power repairs.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Skoglund View Post
Anyways, with the new caps the PSU worked fine and I'm back in biz now, to the cost of about $10, a few 220V shocks in my arm and a lot of cussing :) Thought I share the experience if anyone wanna try it. Here is a pict with the values etc.

Nice job
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:59 PM

Hi all

Just got an “as-is” D-Command and it’s flashing “D-Command” across the scribble strips of faders 1&2 upon powering up. Could this be an LED power supply issue, or maybe something else? I haven’t yet tried to connect it to see if the faders still function. I’ll do that in the morning. Thanks in advance!

Ryan

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-29-2020, 11:57 AM

Here's an interesting thing. I haven't swapped out the power supply yet, but I was plugging in my D-Command to see if it functions even without the LED displaying correctly. It thinks it's a fader pack. Could this be because it's not registering the main unit portions since they're not powered up? Could This be a "hack" to get 8 extra faders with my other main unit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.49.07 AM.jpg (30.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.49.15 AM.jpg (22.8 KB, 0 views)

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 12-04-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Skoglund View Post
...Here is a pict with the values etc.
[EDIT - Ken, Sorry for not thoroughly reading your post before replying. You made it clear that you removed the heat sink.]

Can anyone who has replaced the capacitors on this PSU comment on how hard it was to replace the capacitor under the heat sink?
It looks like there might be two options for accessing it:

1) Remove the entire heat sink with the two TO-220 devices still attached (it looks difficult to access the TO-220 mounting screws because of the transformer clearance).

2) Remove the inductor L5 first [next to the output connectors] and slide the cap out from under the heat sink.

Any comments of success with either of these methods?

Last edited by Matthew Steel; 12-04-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:16 PM

Has anybody had the issue with their D-Command where it just suddenly goes haywire? All the faders and lights go nuts and the buttons stop working properly in all sections.

For example, if I press mute, it actually toggles the main monitor button. It's totally nuts. It has been doing this more and more. It will suddenly work again for some weeks and then out of the blue for almost no reason the ghosts are back in the machine. The worst part is that it messes with a bunch of stuff in pro tools if a session is open.. so I've had to stop using my D-Command.

Is this a known issue with a particular fix? The D-Command acts totally fine and as if there aren't any issues when its working properly.... When it is...

thanks!
Neil

30" Cinema Display | Adam S3a and Dali MS-4 with Krell KAV-400xi amplifier | Lynx Aurora HD interface w/ Cranesong Spider via AES
Old 01-20-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvg View Post
Has anybody had the issue with their D-Command where it just suddenly goes haywire? All the faders and lights go nuts and the buttons stop working properly in all sections.

For example, if I press mute, it actually toggles the main monitor button. It's totally nuts. It has been doing this more and more. It will suddenly work again for some weeks and then out of the blue for almost no reason the ghosts are back in the machine. The worst part is that it messes with a bunch of stuff in pro tools if a session is open.. so I've had to stop using my D-Command.

Is this a known issue with a particular fix? The D-Command acts totally fine and as if there aren't any issues when its working properly.... When it is...

thanks!
Neil

Hi,

I would start with cleaning and re-seating all the connecting cables inside, as could just be a bad connection which will always be effected by temperature changes.

second, get the power supplies checked or re-built. there are places in the UK that offer this service so there must be some where you are.

After that it could be a component on one of the boards. this is difficult as tracing the fault can be hard and timely and would need an export in this field.

Have you tried resetting the unit when the fault happens?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:36 AM

I've tried just about everything, including opening the power supply panel under the monitor section and reseating cables there... its just the weirdest thing.. and suddenly it will be OK for a few weeks and then back to haywire. It seems so odd that even the buttons become mapped incorrectly. I haven't tried cleaning the cable connections though. Is there a particular product you recommend to do this?

I don't know what else to reseat - I haven't tried opening the entire board. I did buy a new PSU board a few years ago... 5 years ago maybe?

I do know the guys over at Avid here locally in Berkeley, CA. I should reach out to my personal contacts and see what they can do... I just feel that the issue may indeed take some specific troubleshooting onsite...

I've moved my DCommand off to another room for now.. its a shame its beautiful in all other regards beyond that.

30" Cinema Display | Adam S3a and Dali MS-4 with Krell KAV-400xi amplifier | Lynx Aurora HD interface w/ Cranesong Spider via AES
Old 01-20-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvg View Post
I've tried just about everything, including opening the power supply panel under the monitor section and reseating cables there... its just the weirdest thing.. and suddenly it will be OK for a few weeks and then back to haywire. It seems so odd that even the buttons become mapped incorrectly. I haven't tried cleaning the cable connections though. Is there a particular product you recommend to do this?

I don't know what else to reseat - I haven't tried opening the entire board. I did buy a new PSU board a few years ago... 5 years ago maybe?

I do know the guys over at Avid here locally in Berkeley, CA. I should reach out to my personal contacts and see what they can do... I just feel that the issue may indeed take some specific troubleshooting onsite...

I've moved my DCommand off to another room for now.. its a shame its beautiful in all other regards beyond that.

Hi,

The best stuff to use is deoxit caig to clean and maintain good contact.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 03-30-2021, 12:47 PM

Facing same problem. Does anyone know where can I find this PS (besides Avid)?