Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 02-13-2015, 01:27 PM

Default S3L and other AVB devices?

Hello,
has anybody tried connecting other AVB devices to the S3L network?

Especially things like the motu AVB switch or the xmos device?

I am thinking about custom made listener endpoint devices for in ear racks or amps

From how I understand the system a talker device would not be recognized?!
Old 02-14-2015, 05:29 AM

Default Re: S3L and other AVB devices?

Hello Karel. AVID has not officially qualified the use of third party AVB end point devices on S3L-X system at this time but Apple computers that are AVB ready. They have demonstrated in the past at trade shows interop with some products such as the Pivitec Personal mixing system. (The talkers and the channel count is key here). As to switches, I can only assume that they will officially qualify in a release soon. Same for the Extreme Networks Submit 440 series which in this case is AVB certified already anyway. So should work no problem with the correct configuration.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:47 AM

Thank you,
I know that no Switches or other devices are Supported, but sometimes things just work regardless of what is officially allowed
Old 02-14-2015, 01:46 PM

Default S3L and other AVB devices?

Yes. The E3 engine has 2 x 32 channels streams talker that are typically for the 64 channels to Pro Tools. Indeed you should be able to connect them to another 32 ch. listener
Old 02-15-2015, 03:51 AM

Not supported, but you can force two Pro Tools systems to listen to S3L, works with Maverics only as Yosemite supposedly fixed that "bug" :/
Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 AM

How do you connect the two protools systems?
Via switch?
Old 02-15-2015, 07:39 AM

I have just broken the redundancy and connected one system to E3 and the other one to S3 but I guess an AVB switch should work too. Only one PT system can talk back to E3, so the last one you connect will be the one that talks back. That means a "backup" system should be connected first and the main one second. The system is intended to work so that only one mac can be connected to a E3 engine and if you try to connect the second one you cannot select the E3 in the second systems Network Device Browser window in Audio Midi Setup, the tick box will just not stick. But the trick is that when you triple-click the tick box it will work :) You may call it Kristo's triple click trick After that both systems will get audio but only the second one will play back.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:18 AM

why shouldn't a talker device work? anyone tried it yet? I mean a MacBook is a talker device as well. and it works fine without pro tools...
Old 02-18-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplitude View Post
why shouldn't a talker device work? anyone tried it yet? I mean a MacBook is a talker device as well. and it works fine without pro tools...
I'm not sure if I follow you... S3L need to "know" the talker to be able to receive from it. S3L knows Stage 16 boxes and it knows Pro Tools. It will not receive signal blindly, devices need to be assigned. You can assign up to 4 Stage 16 boxes and one Pro Tools system to S3L thats it.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:45 AM

That's what I mean. it's not "pro tools only" I can easily send audio from iTunes, qLab or whatever from my MacBook. so I thought maybe every other stream than a Stage16 stream would show up in the "Pro Tools" Tab under patching. isn't that just van stream1 1-32 and avb stream2 1-32 ?