Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-09-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Hurricane Katrina

Hey Folks...

As New Orleans begins to pump out the toxic waste that is in much of the city and is still in my studio, I'm beginning to pick up the pieces and start anew. I believe all my gear is underwater, and a total loss. That's the bad news. All audio was backed up to tape and is in a box with me, so none of it was lost. I even remembered to bring my i-Lock with me, so once I get up and running, that won't be an issue. And I count myself so very blessed, lucky, fortunate.. whatever you want to call it, that my house seems to be intact(although I'll be weeks before I know for sure)

I did have insurance, but doubt it'll cover 8 years of accumulated gear, toys, wires, and boxes, although FEMA seems ready to 'loan' me money(even tho I'm sure their willing to GIVE it to larger corporations).

Several years ago, there was a discussion on Studio Talk Back Systems here, and I ended up buying one. It was GREAT! it had 3 pairs of ins and outs, and the push to talk buttons were on basically an ethernet cable. For the life of me, I can't remember who made it, so if anyone out there uses such a system, please point me to the web address so I can work on a replacement.

New Orleans will spring up again, but I doubt she'll be the old whore she once was. Life was easy here... people were friendly, the town was big enough to be lost in, yet small enough to always be near friends. The food better than just about any place on earth. Bars open 24/7, and more culture than most large cities could even imagine. For those of you who never made it, I'm sorry you missed it... for those of you who did visit... I'm glad you got a chance to see her in her glory.

Thanks for your help.

Jeffrey
Audio Works.. NO
Aqua Works.. NO
Auqa Audio... kind of has a nice ring to it, don't you think?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Hurricane Katrina

Jeffery...I don't know if you ended up in Houston....but if you did please call me at Soundworks and maybe we can help while your in town.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:09 PM

I just wanted to say... good luck and I hope everything works out for you.
I know this doesn't even come close by comparison but I got hit by a tornado in 98. We were very lucky... no injuries and only minor damage to the studio, but the house took a pretty big hit. It's kinda gloomy at first, but you just gotta hang in there and make the best of it for a while. I love your city and I really think it will come back way stronger and more vibrant than ever.
You may already know this if you've had many dealings with insurance companies but I wanted to tell you... don't be afraid to fight your insurance company if they low ball you. In my case, I loved my agent. She showed up at my door with some food, a six pack, and a check for $2500. The one you have to watch out for is the claims adjuster. He is the one that holds your fate in his hands and he may not be nearly the friend that your agent appears to be. Get your own estimates.
Anyway, from the hint of humor in your post... I gather that you'll come thru this in fine shape.
Again..I wish you the best.
BT
MacPro 8 core
www.btruitt.com
Old 09-10-2005, 10:15 AM

Is this the one?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TalkBackMV/

All the best,
filmixer
Old 09-10-2005, 01:23 PM

AHHH YES!

this is the missing unit!

Thanks for all your kind words and support.