Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 12-02-2016, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3 not working with MacOS Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexparr View Post
Mbox pro 3 not working. If i switch it on the computer shuts down immediately. If i try to startup with Mbox on the computer displays lines of code and then freezes. What's going on?

I've spent the whole day backing up my files and reinstalling El Capitan.

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Mac OS SSD
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
Same thing is happening to me. Just upgraded to Sierra and PT 12.6.1. As soon as I connected my MBox pro 3 it crashed and kept restarting in panic mode or something with code all over the screen. I downloaded the new drivers too and still same result. I just opened a case with AVID. Hopefully will have some resolution I can share....
Old 12-12-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
This has actually been the fastest they have responded...in recent memory (ie the last 5-7yrs)
I have no idea what their excuse could possibly be...Apple tells developers everything they are doing with the OS, provides them with beta code almost a year in advance, and they have a decent support platforms & forums through their dev portal website if there are any problems.

OFC don't expect to get a RADAR looked at soon, but that's a horse of a different color, and those are Apple's internal issues...These are also downright trivial updates that shouldn't really require too much dev work. A lot of it is just removing deprecated APIs...Which if AVID were on top of things in the first place, they wouldn't even be using them to begin with.

Other audio interface manufacturers do not have these problems, especially with incremental OS updates.

<end rant>

I have the USB Mbox, it works for a bit, but it will always stop working, for whatever reason. Reboot fixes it every time. Cable pull / re-insert does not.
The blue light flashes on the front of the stupid thing when it goes into this "state" -- I don't have an official AVID support plan...and I'm not paying for one. I dumped ProTools a long time ago, but I still use the MBox. Is there any way I can get in touch with someone from AVID without having to pay for support?

Or am I better off throwing this hunk of junk in the garbage and getting something else from a company that will actually stay on top and support their products?
Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 PM

I have the same problem. I have a crash report that shows the kernel panic with all the newest drivers from Avid. I have rolled back to El Capitan which works fine, but I would like to find out if anyone else has successfully fixed their boot problem.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:24 PM

Does anyone know how I can get my mbox 3 to work with Logic Pro x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 AM

I'm having the same issue. Plug in the MBox Pro and the computer crashes and reboots with the kernel error message, which basically causes an infinite reboot loop. I can't downgrade because of some other software I use more frequently, so I guess I'm stuck.

I can't believe there isn't a fix for this yet!

Btw, I'm using the firewire version.

Last edited by dkeeling; 01-24-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 01-24-2017, 05:45 PM

There's got to be something else going on. I never went through El Cap, but went straight from 10.10.x to 10.12.x and have never had an issue.

Are you able to do a CLEAN OS install? Even to a different drive or partition?
Old 01-26-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
There's got to be something else going on. I never went through El Cap, but went straight from 10.10.x to 10.12.x and have never had an issue.

Are you able to do a CLEAN OS install? Even to a different drive or partition?
That's a good idea, although I've gone through all the other iterations of OS X and 10.12 is the first one I've had a problem with. I'll try your idea when I get some time and an extra drive to play around with.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:28 AM

Is anyone else still struggling with this? MBox pro 3 crashes Macbook Pro immediately when turned on. Firewire and High Sierra, new drivers don't seem to help. Any help appreciated!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:58 AM

Hey guys,

I'm having a similar problem, and I wanted to get your input if anyone's found a solution. When plugging my MBox Pro (3rd Gen) into my MacBook Pro mid-2014 running macOS Sierra, the computer does a forced reboot and goes into a perpetual reboot loop until I either turn off the MBox or unplug it. I have now paid 300.- to reinstate my support and upgrade to the current ProTools, I've then upgraded to macOS 10.13.2 which is the last supported version and I still cannot use my MBox without a new perpetual reboot loop starting.I am now $300 poorer and still can't use my MBox. What should I do to be able to use my MBox Pro? The MBox works standalone to play music and instruments through my soundsystem without being plugged in to my MacBook Pro and ProTools works standalone as well so there is a problem between the MBox and my MacBook Pro apparently.

Before upgrading to High Sierra (I was in Sierra 10.12.6 running ProTools 12.3) I would get an all black code screen talking about kernels before it would fully reboot and then go black again. Now, after upgrading ProTools and macOS, I don't get the code screen but I still get the perpetual reboot sequence...
Old 04-04-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipcom View Post
Is anyone else still struggling with this? MBox pro 3 crashes Macbook Pro immediately when turned on. Firewire and High Sierra, new drivers don't seem to help. Any help appreciated!
What 'new' drivers. 3.1.5 has been up there since 2016. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SH-04H using Tapatalk