Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Unsupported audio buffer size in device control panel

So on my "Playback Engine" menu it says "Current Engine: US-800 ASIO Driver". I imagine that is correct...?

I tried setting different devices as defaults and opening PT. But I kept getting the same error message I stated in my first post. So should I assume that my Pro Tools drivers are not installed correctly? Because I ran an update from the Tascam's website for that driver and it was all good...

Would love to be able to make a record since I have the weekend off. Do ya'll think I should just reinstall my PT 9 Drivers or reinstall the PT 9 software?

Really do appreciate all the help gentlemen!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM

I would trash PT prefs first. There should be a utility for doing that installed along with Pro Tools.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you could try re-installing the drivers, or you could give asio4all a try.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM

So, I completely uninstalled PT drivers and software. Reinstalled the drivers and then the software. And I am still getting the same error message.

Basically ya'll are telling me that there is no way I can just change the audio buffer size to make it match or is it surely a driver issue?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVRsNo$ View Post
Ok, so now my choices w/ drop-down menus are:

- Host Processors
- CPU Usage Limits
- Delay Compensation Engine

(DAE playback buffer (disk buffer))
- Size

- Cache size
What is the buffer set at here? Is it something other than the supported options in the error message?
32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, or 2048
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 AM

I get the unsupported buffer size at any setting above 1024. I haven't tried but I would bet that using 64samples would yield the same result.

To change the buffer size go to your Tascam's control panel in Windows or OSX. Whichever the case may be. On a Mac it's in the audio settings. On Windows, go to the bottom right hand corner of the screen. There should be an icon there or it may be hidden. If it's there, right click or double click on it and you should be either given options to open it or it will open. From there you should be able to adjust the buffer size. If that doesn't work, go to your start menu and find the Tascam control panel.

Once you have adjusted the buffer size to say, 128samples. open ProTools. If you are loading an existing project, PT will ask you to save. Save your project and it will close. You then need to reboot PT and re open your project. The buffer should be correct now. Of course if you find the buffer is too low or too high, you will have to go through all this again. If you are starting a new project, just use a buffer setting that you know works well.

All this being said, I wish Avid would just stabilize PT9 or any future versions for that matter. I have a strong desire to go back to 7.3 if it were not for ADC. Thankfully, I have Sonar and Samplitude as well.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 AM

That's interesting. For most Windows users, PT9 has been far more stable than 7.x. That's certainly true for me. Fewer problems than any version since 5.3 (which was Mac TDM, so I guess that's apples and, um, windows?). Could be a hardware incompatibility, an overlooked system tweak, or a plug-in that needs updating. But that would be a question for a separate thread.

If the Tascam unit provides sample rates that PT9 doesn't, you do need to make sure it's set for a power-of-two between 64 and 1024 (at 44.1 or 48 kHz - twice those values for 88.2 or 96 kHz). 512 is a safe value all around. It might just be that Tascam interfaces aren't the best choice for PT, though. Some interfaces work better than others.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 AM

I think the most stable version I've run was PT6. 7 was ok. I have way too many DAE errors and all my plugins are up to date. It may be the UAD card that is causing issues. I'm tempted to sell it but I love the plugins.

I'm not using a Tascam BTW. I was just responding to a generic buffer issue.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
That's interesting. For most Windows users, PT9 has been far more stable than 7.x. That's certainly true for me. Fewer problems than any version since 5.3 (which was Mac TDM, so I guess that's apples and, um, windows?). Could be a hardware incompatibility, an overlooked system tweak, or a plug-in that needs updating. But that would be a question for a separate thread.

If the Tascam unit provides sample rates that PT9 doesn't, you do need to make sure it's set for a power-of-two between 64 and 1024 (at 44.1 or 48 kHz - twice those values for 88.2 or 96 kHz). 512 is a safe value all around. It might just be that Tascam interfaces aren't the best choice for PT, though. Some interfaces work better than others.
Yeah, and I'm no Pro when it comes to setting up computers so I just wanna be able to get PT open and start dickin around.

I was recommended the Tascam interface for use w/ PT by a gentleman at Guitar Center so unless he failed miserably at his job...
Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVRsNo$ View Post
I was recommended the Tascam interface for use w/ PT by a gentleman at Guitar Center so unless he failed miserably at his job...
Well It wouldn't be unusual to think he failed. It is GC after all. Most of them are just as newb as some of the people here.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
What is the buffer set at here? Is it something other than the supported options in the error message?
32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, or 2048
DAE Playback Buffer

- Size: 1500ms (my other options are 3000, 750, 400)

- Cache Size: Normal (minimum, normal large)

Then there is a "minimize system memory allocation" CHECKBOX that I have unchecked.