Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 LE And OSX El Capitan (Won't install)

When I attempt to install Pro Tools 8 LE I am getting a notification that OSX 10.5.5 or higher is required to install 8 LE. Well, I have El Capitan 10.11.6. So what gives?

Old 10-03-2018, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 LE And OSX El Capitan (Won't install)

Discussed many times here before on DUC, it's a trivial bug in the version check code.

But Pro Tools 8 is not supported on El Capitan anyhow. Also discussed many times on DUC. You need to check what is supported before trying to upgrade or install stuff. (start under the "Help us help you" link on every DUC web page, or Google for Pro Tools release notes).

And El Capitan is a pretty crappy release for many DAWs. Was arguably the worst OS X release in a long time, and the last OS X release I'd waste time running with Pro Tools. Pro Tools 8 LE is also ancient, there are lots of great changes in Pro Tools since then. I'd be looking to purchase a current pro Tools license or Subscription or if you really had to look at pro Tools First (but I'd not recommended that). Your options are here, https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pr...-upgrade-chart, basically Pro Tools 8 LE does not get you any help with an upgrade.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-03-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:30 AM

In addition to what Darryl wrote you should know that all your old 32 bit RTAS plugins will no longer work in any current version of PT. RTAS was last used in PT10; it's all aax 64 format plugins.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:37 AM

I am positive the latest OS X version that supports Pro Tools 8LE is Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I am very confident in that since I stayed on that system (both PT and OSX version) for 8 years up until about 6 months ago.

That was one of the last paid for OS versions I believe too. So not knowing what Mac you're on and when it was purchased I hope you have another drive with Snow Leopard on it or backed up, or have a system restore disk to reinstall Snow Leopard.

Get yourself familiar with compatibility between OS, Pro Tools, interfaces, and plugins. Because if you do choose to upgrade, just as musicman said RTAS plugins will not work with PT 2018. I had to upgrade (purchase) new versions of all my RTAS plugins to be 64bit AAX plugins

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 10-04-2018, 06:48 PM

Default Pro Tools 8.05 and MAC OSX 10.6.8

So that's my software and OS on a Early 2008 Mac Pro Dual quad core 3GHz, 10 GB Ram. I just want to upgrade so I can get SoundsOnline Composer Cloud. It runs on OS 10.7. Can anyone help with how to upgrade a little? I dont need all the bells and whistles of the higher versions PT or MAC OS. Right now everything runs perfect .... Any info will be appreciated.
Steve
Old 10-07-2018, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.05 and MAC OSX 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmcomposer View Post
So that's my software and OS on a Early 2008 Mac Pro Dual quad core 3GHz, 10 GB Ram. I just want to upgrade so I can get SoundsOnline Composer Cloud. It runs on OS 10.7. Can anyone help with how to upgrade a little? I dont need all the bells and whistles of the higher versions PT or MAC OS. Right now everything runs perfect .... Any info will be appreciated.
Steve
First off you may want to reconcile the system you have in your profile and what you're posting about here - they don't agree. Second - that 10 GB ram is an odd setup - how is the ram configured? Ideally you want to have identical modules in each slot. What exact OSX version and PT version are you running now?

Third it doesn't matter whether you want all the bells & whistles of later versions of PT and OSX. What matters is what plays well with each other. You really need to pay attention to compatibility between every piece of the system. You can't just upgrade one piece without having to upgrade something (or everything) else. Trust those of us who have been through the upgrade dance - it ain't easy and ain't cheap.

Whether you use all the 'bells & whistles" of a newer PT or OSX doesn't matter.

QAPLA!