Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Midi Notes not alligning to grid right

hey everyone....
Mbox on a nice enough Laptop that had no trouble on XP Sp2 ...
once i tweaked it right there was hardly any drop outs, hardly any problems with Recording audio , actually non that I've seen so far "touch wood/metal" ...
anyhow ... I've not been a midi person for a very long time "cause i was in a band with a drummer"
the thing is , i was recording an audio with a tempo of 120bps ... all was well .
i wanted to make my drums "using sample tank plugging" to do triple kicks and whatnot , but i wanted it to be on a grid that i could control and pencil in the notes in a good time on a grid .
when i do it , the notes come out REALLY slow , i figured out a way to make them fast changing the notation into a whole note from the transport bar , but that sped up the temp of the click track really bad , the timing only became fast enough to do something basic , but still i can not do anything that sound like a natural drum sound , and when i zoom onto the notes , they are really off grid ..
am i doing something wrong "duh" , is there a way to do this ?? in Sonar4 the midi track "piano role" is separate and has it's own grid when changing the timing to 16th note , but i don't know how to do this here ... the quality of the recording is beyond good , and when i get a mac i know I'll have more advantage with a dedicated recording PC .
i really can't be bothered fixing the drumming in slip mode anymore , it took me 3 hours to fix a track that was 2 min in length , because i had to change note timing over and over between hearing the audio and going back to edit more ... PLEASE HELP ...
thanks heaps in advance ...

Nawar ...

Old 01-14-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Midi Notes not alligning to grid right

put pro tools in grid mode, then pick 1/16 notes from the drop down. It's kind of hard to find look in the reference manual for a better description. I'll see if i can find the page.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:09 AM

chapter 23 setting grid value hope this helps
Old 01-16-2005, 11:29 AM

press alt+0 (the zero on the number pad) then go to enable input quantizing, and quantize to the nearest 16th or 32nd (I would go 16th unless you mare a good keyboard player) Dont forget to select quantize releases as well (for drums I always do this as it makes it easier to see the mistakes... after I record the midi I change all notes to 16ths and then I can see exactly where they are in relation to the bar/beat)