How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2016, 06:19 AM

Default PT 12.4: Session Opens with a Track Producing +700 Meter Clip

Hey all,
I have 12.4 running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I haven't had any problems in a long time and haven't installed anything new in awhile.

I opened up a session last night that I worked on last weekend. It was working fine last weekend. I opened up the latest save of the session and one of my guitar tracks produced a constant very loud clip... +700

Thankfully my monitors were not turned on and my headphones were at a pretty low volume so I hope they are ok.

Anyway, I closed the session and reopened it and it did it again. If I leave the session open long enough, it eventually quits. However, once I played the session and it go to a part where that track has audio, it shot back up to +700.

At this point, I thought, ok... it has to be a plugin causing it. However, I bypassed all plugins on the track and it was still doing it. I thought maybe it was Blue Cat's Patchwork (I know, not supported to run VSTs) that I use to run Lepou amp sims. However, once bypassing that and all other plugins, the problem remained.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 PM

Default Re: PT 12.4: Session Opens with a Track Producing +700 Meter Clip

Not quite sure how you arrive at +700 when the meters in PT go to zero and that's it, but it sounds to me like you have a feedback loop. Check your routing and sends to see if you are feeding signal back into itself

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-25-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not quite sure how you arrive at +700 when the meters in PT go to zero and that's it, but it sounds to me like you have a feedback loop. Check your routing and sends to see if you are feeding signal back into itself
Thanks for the response!

I know it is over 700 because if you look at the bottom of the track (below the meter) it will show you your peak level. So in other words, it is peaking +700. Outrageously loud! The meter will pegged at the very top and I see clipping... I looked at the bottom of the track to find it was over 700. If I let it sit for a couple minutes, it gets quieter and will go down to 500-650. And then it eventually fades out.

I thought about a feedback loop, but that isn't it. It doesn't do it every time either which makes this even more strange.

Doug
Old 02-29-2016, 07:15 AM

So I completely rebuilt my pc (Win 10 even though that isn't officially supported) and it is still doing it. I even didn't install the plugin I "thought" was causing it.

I've tried so many things, it is all starting to run together. I "think" if I recall correctly, it is just this one session where it happens. What makes it super frustrating is it doesn't do it every time.

I'm starting to wonder if the session itself is somehow corrupted. I think I'm going to start a new session from scratch and import only the audio and midi data and see what happens.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 AM

At this point, I would rebuild with windows 7. When something is not right, general troubleshooting requires you to remove as many "non-approved" things as possible. A non-approved OS is one such thing You might also have a read at this link(found near the top of this and every DUC page) Help Us Help You

and come back and post a Sandra report as maybe you have some hardware that is no approved also, is this the first build of Pro Tools for you, or did you have an older version working well on this same computer?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave