Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Mix VS Nuendo Mix: MP3s Posted

I think this proves that you don't need a $15,000 protools rig to mix music.

But it does help to have the Neves an APIs along with nice converters in front of any DAW!!!!

What did you use for the Vocal chain if you don't mindd me asking?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:37 PM

Quote:

What did you use for the Vocal chain if you don't mindd me asking?
The vocals are the only thing that are differently recorded on each song. For Run, I used an SM57 into a Neve 1272 with no compression on the way in. All the vocals on RUN were intended to be scratch tracks. I tried to do them over with a U47 but everyone liked the scratch tracks better. During the mix I chained two UAD LA-2s back to back on it and eq'd it with a Midas channel EQ which got recorded back to the project.

For KNEES, I ended using a Marshall V77 tube mic with a few mods done to it. I've used a lot of mics on my voice including vintage 47 and C12s, but this mic through a Trident S20 right to the Lynx A/D is my favorite vocal chain. I think that chain really captures me well and I plan on using it for the rest of the album. Again during the mix I would chain the LA-2s together and the track needed no eq at all, not even a hi pass at 80.
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 11-26-2003, 06:37 PM

Both sound really good, but to me "Knees" sounds better, more open, the vocals sound much better than in "Run" (what FX did you use on both?).
And the biggest difference to me was that "Run" sounds A LOT more squashed to me (may partly be because of the thicker low mids).
What I donīt like is the Acoustic Guitar on "Knees", because itīs much to much on top timingwise.

Rock on,
Peter
Old 11-26-2003, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Both sound really good, but to me "Knees" sounds better, more open, the vocals sound much better than in "Run" (what FX did you use on both?).
And the biggest difference to me was that "Run" sounds A LOT more squashed to me (may partly be because of the thicker low mids).
What I donīt like is the Acoustic Guitar on "Knees", because itīs much to much on top timingwise.

Rock on,
Peter

Damn. And I thought it would get past people. Yup, after I mastered it and put it up on the site, I realized the acoustic guitar audio file was shifted. I must have done it by accident. It kills me every time I listen to it. I'll remix it on Friday. Vox fx are just a bunch of delays and a tiny bit of medium room from a lexi box. The vox on RUN were done with a 57 vs KNEES being done with a nicer mic, hence the better clarity. Do you think I should redo the RUN vox with the KNEES vox chain before we shop the EP to labels?
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 11-27-2003, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Damn. And I thought it would get past people. Yup, after I mastered it and put it up on the site, I realized the acoustic guitar audio file was shifted. I must have done it by accident. It kills me every time I listen to it. I'll remix it on Friday.
What strikes me is that no one else has mentioned this (even at Gearslutz where I found this thread a few minutes ago).
Donīt you guys listen to the music, too?
Sound is definitely NOT everything!

[/QUOTE]
Vox fx are just a bunch of delays and a tiny bit of medium room from a lexi box. The vox on RUN were done with a 57 vs KNEES being done with a nicer mic, hence the better clarity. Do you think I should redo the RUN vox with the KNEES vox chain before we shop the EP to labels?

[/QUOTE]

Well thatīs up to your taste. Just try whether you like it better.
How did you use the delays?

Rock on,
Peter
Old 11-27-2003, 07:34 PM

I usually start with a quick slap, under 50 to give it immediate bigness, and then a 1/2 note or 1/4 note slap for some depth.
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 12-01-2003, 02:57 PM

Looking back at the mix Knees, I pitch shifted the close delay about 10 cents up on one side and 10 cents down on the other.
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 12-03-2003, 11:26 PM

[/QUOTE]

What monitors did you listen to the mixes with? On my Truth Audio, on both tunes, I'm getting a sufficient amount of bass. I don't like things overly bass heavy because it takes away from the guitar tone. Also, with the way the "kids today" put their bass knobs on 11, I figure it will translate better. I put the mixes in my drummer's car (Bose) and he of course had his bass jacked up and the low end sounded good. But I appreciate your comments.

[/QUOTE]

First of all, the Truth speakers by Behringer are naturally bass heavy. You are most likely overcompensating. Also, you should get a well balanced sound from every instrument. If someone is in there car or at their home and they want to hear some bass, let THEM turn up the bass/sub. Naturally, certain musicial genres will require more bass.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:02 PM

I don't have Behringer Truth monitors. Behringer is [bleep]. I have TRUTH AUDIO Monitors and they are flatter then a ruler and sound amazing. Its a high end company, check them out at www.truthaudio.com. Second, my mixes have a sufficient amount of bass and translate well to other systems. Subjectively someone could want more bass, but you can turn the bass knob up in your stereo. I haven't had the need to do that on any system yet. Did you listen to the mixes?
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com