Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2019, 04:59 PM

Default Re: In what area is Pro Tools REALLY lacking??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
Reading the last few comments, I think you're all missing an important point here. Maybe you won't be recording 32 tracks at the same time, but the thing is you just won't get access to physical input number #33, and above, which you may need. There's no way. This is a very realistic situation, e.g with ADAT capable interfaces where the total number of inputs can easily exceed 32.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk
Begs the question why isn't 32 at a time enough? If you really need that capability, why not spring for the "pro" hdx version?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
And after reading Al Schmitt on the record i now know far fewer that 32 inputs are needed to record an 84 piece orchestra with choir! No one likes to have arbitrary limits handed to them, so even if they aren't needed, it's a very human knee jerk reaction to object to it. Reality is that with very little planning, limited inputs should not be a tragedy. My opinion on what is lacking: i would agree with the comment about the Midi+Audio workflow that Studio Vision Pro had created before they were shut down, and i'm actually kind of surprised that Gibson never sold the rights to the software/coding to someone, especially since they never used it for anything. I would like also to see AVID updating their hardware/interface paradigm to take advantage of modern data transfer codecs and lastly, i would like to see some sort of open dialog between Avid and both controller builders and Plugin dev's to allow for some sort of universal code to make using plugins less mousing and more control surface friendly.
My feeling is if you legitimately need 32+ inputs, you would never complain about the price of HDX anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:37 AM

I'll tell you where it's blooming well lacking...

ProTools 2018.12 is STILL forgetting MIDI ports!

This was working fine yesterday when I closed the session. And I go to check the mix this morning and think, "hmm, hang on, something's not right..."

I can't tell you how many times I've complained about this...I've tested, submitted bug reports, wasted hours of my life on it. I won't be the only one. AND YET IT STILL DOESN'T FRIGGING WORK properly. Jesus wept.

What's the point of "total recall" if things AREN'T RECALLING PROPERLY? WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE SORTED? WHEN? WHEN?

Makes me so angry.

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1549884935
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.35.07.png (13.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:05 AM

And another, on another session! I played this one with my own fair hand on a MIDI keyboard, there was no importing of MIDI or moving clips around from a plugin or anything like that.

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1549886734
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 12.03.25.png (12.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
My feeling is if you legitimately need 32+ inputs, you would never complain about the price of HDX anyway.
I do have HDX, but I'm on the road a lot recording and mixing conerts.
Recording a 64 channel setup, or at least more then 32 is what I do nearly on a daily basis. In reaper that means to plug in the network cable of dante, start the VSC and there you go.

In ProTools that means carry an HDX card in a sonnet chassis (which I own btw), connect an interface, plug power, 3 RU of harware etc etc etc...

Unnessecary...
Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 AM

Yes 32 inputs is just under a small band concert....48 most setups i handle it but 32 not enough....even very very small concerts
peace

https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat

MacBook Pro Late 2016
Intel I7 Quod Core 2.8 GHZ
16 GB Ram . 256 GB SSD
Catalina 10.15.2

Acer Nitro
Intel I7-6700-HQ
8 GB Ram 256 GB SSD x 2
Win 10 Home 64 bit
Motu 624 AVB , Komplete Audio 6
Pro Tools Native 2020.5 , Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Old 02-11-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Begs the question why isn't 32 at a time enough? If you really need that capability, why not spring for the "pro" hdx version?
I have (always had) a HD system for the gigs I need more than 64 i/o but usually HDN has been enough. And most of the time even 32 is just fine.

But I know it would be cool to have PT without such a marketing-dept limitation, Ultimate at least if not standard.

Oh well, pre-pt9 it was either MIX (48 i/o max), LE (18 i/o max), or HD (96/128/192 i/o max).

Oh, and the current HDX is also 192 i/o max so that didn't get an increase from the HD-to-HDX upgrade. Seems even the biggest boys are not needing more than 192 i/o
Old 02-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The amount of delay on the sidechain is almost never a problem. The attack time on compressors is usually much more of an issue. And when you actually run into an audible problem, create a key track and shift the audio earlier. How long does that take, 10 seconds? We've been doing this forever. And for the pumping effect in dance music, you want the key track earlier anyway. Non-issue in 99% of the cases. Stop stressing over technical blueprints and use your ears more.
The amount of delay is always a problem if you're using sidechain for rhythmic stuff. Makes it SO frustrating to get the right feel. It's much more fun in ableton and I end up being more creative.

A key track works until you change your plugins and ADC changes, then you gotta re-adjust.

I'm not stressing.. but this is more than a technical technical blueprint. It's an unnecessary limitation.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.10 - macOS Big Sur 11.6
10 Core iMac Pro
64GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB
UA Apollo x8
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
It's called vocalign, it works great in PT
And I've been using it for years.. but it's another area that OTHER daws have included as part of the software which allows deeper integration.

10 Core iMac Pro
UA Apollo x8
Old 02-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Ever thought that maybe it’s the HDX card that needs this feature? Personally I haven’t come acrosss this issue.
I'm not sure what you're saying. These features ARE available for HDX users. They work fine on our HDX rigs. Seems silly to cripple native in such an unnecessary way.

10 Core iMac Pro
UA Apollo x8