Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2015, 03:21 AM

Default MacBook Pro MGXA2LL/A

I'm a PC user but am looking for a new laptop and am considering a Mac just to round out my compatibility in the studio as well as giving me access to Pro Tools whilst travelling.

I have quite a few air miles to cash in before they expire and can get a MacBook Pro MGXA2LL/A.

It comes running Mavericks, is an i7 2.2 with 16Gb but as far as I'm aware isn't Thunderbolt so am guessing is an older model. Screen is Retina 15.4 on Intel Iris Pro.

I run PT11HD on an RME UFX but would primarily use the laptop stand alone (if possible) while on the road for editing/MIDI.

Anyone provide any thoughts on compatibility (it's not on the list) or general views? Cheers!

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-26-2015, 06:04 AM

Default Re: MacBook Pro MGXA2LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
I'm a PC user but am looking for a new laptop and am considering a Mac just to round out my compatibility in the studio as well as giving me access to Pro Tools whilst travelling.

I have quite a few air miles to cash in before they expire and can get a MacBook Pro MGXA2LL/A.

It comes running Mavericks, is an i7 2.2 with 16Gb but as far as I'm aware isn't Thunderbolt so am guessing is an older model. Screen is Retina 15.4 on Intel Iris Pro.

I run PT11HD on an RME UFX but would primarily use the laptop stand alone (if possible) while on the road for editing/MIDI.

Anyone provide any thoughts on compatibility (it's not on the list) or general views? Cheers!
If that model you gave is correct it's the latest 15 inch MBPr (2014) and it has 2 Thunderbolt ports. The cpu speed is a bit slow but should work. What size flash storage does it have? I believe the base is 256 gig; if it has the 1 terabyte flash storage and you're taking it on the road then you won't really need an external hard drive.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:38 AM

Thx for the feedback. It's got 256Gb.

The only spec on ports is 2xUSB3.0.

Here's the 'full' (cough) spec as provided:

Apple 15.4-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display 256GB (MGXA2)
Screen Size: 15.4 in
Screen Resolution: 2880 × 1800 pixels
Max Screen Resolution: 2880 × 1800 pixels
Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB DDR3L
Memory Speed: 1600 MHz
Hard Drive: 256 GB
Graphics Coprocessor: Intel Iris Pro Graphics
Number of USB 3.0 Ports: 2
Model number MGXA2LL/A
Hardware Platform: Mac
Operating System: OS X Mavericks
Weight: 2 kg (4.5 lbs)
Dimensions (L×W×H): 24.7 × 35.9 × 1.8 cm (9.73 × 14.13 × 0.71 in)
Color: Silver
Computer Memory Type: SDRAM
Hard Drive: Interface Solid State
Optical Drive: No
Audio-out Ports: 1
Battery Type: Lithium Polymer

Shifting Sands Audio

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-26-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Thx for the feedback. It's got 256Gb.

The only spec on ports is 2xUSB3.0.

Here's the 'full' (cough) spec as provided:

Apple 15.4-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display 256GB (MGXA2)
Screen Size: 15.4 in
Screen Resolution: 2880 × 1800 pixels
Max Screen Resolution: 2880 × 1800 pixels
Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB DDR3L
Memory Speed: 1600 MHz
Hard Drive: 256 GB
Graphics Coprocessor: Intel Iris Pro Graphics
Number of USB 3.0 Ports: 2
Model number MGXA2LL/A
Hardware Platform: Mac
Operating System: OS X Mavericks
Weight: 2 kg (4.5 lbs)
Dimensions (L×W×H): 24.7 × 35.9 × 1.8 cm (9.73 × 14.13 × 0.71 in)
Color: Silver
Computer Memory Type: SDRAM
Hard Drive: Interface Solid State
Optical Drive: No
Audio-out Ports: 1
Battery Type: Lithium Polymer
Not quite the full set of specs. Take a look at this page: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro
and you'll see it has two Thunderbolt 2 ports to go along with the two USB3 ports. And current Macs are shipping with Yosemite on them.

With that small 256 gig PCIe flash-based storage (it's not a hard drive and not an ssd technically either) you're going to have to factor in a separate drive for PT to use. Don't forget to also factor in a powered USB hub as the iLok2 has been known to have issues with direct connection to USB3 ports.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 AM

Yeah, that's the only info available I'm afraid. I would suspect that they have older stock on hand rather than getting brand new direct from Apple, but being a PC guy I'm not up to speed on Apples recent laptop progression or identification so can't say for definite on the age of the one they're offering.

As I say, I'm not going to be trying to record a philharmonic orchestra or anything, I'd just be looking for a generic laptop for travel but able to run PT for editing & MIDI programming - one or two channel recording at the most.

The added bonus being I'd be able to give Logic a try. I'm already evaluating Studio One 2 & Cubase on the studio PC in preparation for possible bad news on the HD re-subscription front...

Shifting Sands Audio

Old 04-26-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's the only info available I'm afraid. I would suspect that they have older stock on hand rather than getting brand new direct from Apple, but being a PC guy I'm not up to speed on Apples recent laptop progression or identification so can't say for definite on the age of the one they're offering.

As I say, I'm not going to be trying to record a philharmonic orchestra or anything, I'd just be looking for a generic laptop for travel but able to run PT for editing & MIDI programming - one or two channel recording at the most.

The added bonus being I'd be able to give Logic a try. I'm already evaluating Studio One 2 & Cubase on the studio PC in preparation for possible bad news on the HD re-subscription front...
Where is this laptop coming from? The one you mentioned is the latest one from Apple in the MBPr line and Yosemite went public October 16, 2014. If it's old stock (NOS) then it might come with Mavericks but don't bet on it. But like I said given the fact of a small amount of system drive space (256 gig) you won't have nowheres near enough room for programs and audio so you will definitely need a separate hard drive to work with. Session size doesn't enter into it.

I doubt wherever you're getting it from has an old stock of these machines as it would tie up space and money for storage. Not to mention them being out the bucks from having to front the money for the computers to buy them from Apple. I'd make sure of exactly what you're getting and it's age. A little something else that works against these machines being NOS is warranty. For some companies the warranty period starts when a reseller buys the object and not when an end user like you or I buys it. Especially if that reseller is not an authorized reseller. I don't know if Apple is like this but it's worth it to look into.

Speaking of warranty don't forget to factor in AppleCare for at least a year; being this will be a mobile machine it's worth it.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2015, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the info Jack.

I'd be getting it through Etihad's reward program. I sent them an email for more info weeks ago with no response so can only go from the info provided. TBH, if I weren't getting it 'free' I wouldn't even be thinking about it but my air miles start expiring in a few months and their reward flights only work out of Abu Dhabi so I've got to spend them on something!

Shifting Sands Audio

Old 04-26-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Jack.

I'd be getting it through Etihad's reward program. I sent them an email for more info weeks ago with no response so can only go from the info provided. TBH, if I weren't getting it 'free' I wouldn't even be thinking about it but my air miles start expiring in a few months and their reward flights only work out of Abu Dhabi so I've got to spend them on something!
Yeah - can't afford to lose your miles; too many airlines are mucking about with them and making them worth less than they used to. Reading what you said I'm going to infer you're probably getting a new machine from Apple.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Hope so! Thanks again for the info.

Shifting Sands Audio

Old 04-26-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Where is this laptop coming from? The one you mentioned is the latest one from Apple in the MBPr line and Yosemite went public October 16, 2014. If it's old stock (NOS) then it might come with Mavericks but don't bet on it. But like I said given the fact of a small amount of system drive space (256 gig) you won't have nowheres near enough room for programs and audio so you will definitely need a separate hard drive to work with. Session size doesn't enter into it.

I doubt wherever you're getting it from has an old stock of these machines as it would tie up space and money for storage. Not to mention them being out the bucks from having to front the money for the computers to buy them from Apple. I'd make sure of exactly what you're getting and it's age. A little something else that works against these machines being NOS is warranty. For some companies the warranty period starts when a reseller buys the object and not when an end user like you or I buys it. Especially if that reseller is not an authorized reseller. I don't know if Apple is like this but it's worth it to look into.

Speaking of warranty don't forget to factor in AppleCare for at least a year; being this will be a mobile machine it's worth it.
Forget about external hard drives, you have better options like an SSD in a USB 3 case or some have even used an fast SD card.
I say go for it, the MBPs released in the last couple years are very fast, you can easily run large sessions with just the internal drive!