Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 01-04-2021, 10:49 PM

Default Sound Devices MixPre-3 II

Hey folks

Any reports on the Sound Devices MixPre-3 II used as a CoreAudio/Class compliant USB interface on macOS?

I need a small field recorder and want to be able to dock it at times as an interface for webinars/Zoom calls etc along with a mirrorless camera going into a ATEM mini video switcher. And will want to be able to do some occasional stuff with it with Pro Tools, even if a small part of it's use.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 II

I’ve got one. Works fine with Pro Tools. Will do what you need it to do easily.

Anything specific you want to know about the unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2021, 02:02 AM

Thanks! I also found some good videos on YouTube that answered some other questions. I think this is the box for me.

I’d also like to find a nice portable HDMI splitter to use to split timecode out of my Nikon Z7. ... any suggestions there would be great. I have a Ninja V but would love some tiny other device option for when I don’t want to use the Ninja. Too much stuff at times with a shotgun mic on the camera. Still that Ninja is some bloody beaut Aussie kit
Old 01-05-2021, 02:17 AM

I don’t know a great deal about video. It’s not really my field, so can’t really comment on HDMI splitters.

The biggest tip I can give you is either buy the L Sled adapter to mount a camera battery or use one of those USB power banks. You can find one similar sized to the MixPre and velcro them together. Make sure you get one that outputs the power via USB C. If it’s USB A, then the MixPre will run in lower power mode which disables phantom on the third channel, no HDMI and no USB A.

They’re quite flexible and the 32bit float is pretty amazing. The unit can work as a Core Audio device with PT recording 32bit float as well, but you need to be on a newer Mac OS. From memory it’s Mojave and higher. Could be Catalina. I’d have to double check.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:30 AM

Thanks I have already thought through the power options... I have a few quite large (20Ah each!) Anker Lithium power banks that output on USB-C. Just need to work out how to tie one to the tripod. Otherwise it was going to be a Sony L-Plate adapter... I have lots of those batteries as well. Not a fan of what SoundDevices charge for bits of plastic battery mounts.

I am on Big Sir on a MBP, so no issues recording 32-bit.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:18 AM

20,000 Ah should keep you rolling for a while. :)

Old 01-15-2021, 06:44 PM

So I got the MixPre-3 II and as expected it's really nice. Been recording some video audio though a Sennheiser MKE 600 shotgun. I like the small size but expect I I'll run out of inputs in future and will upgrade to a MixPre-10 later.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:49 PM

I have a MixPre-10 II, it's great. I have had a few glitches at medium buffers (512 samples at 96K) when using as an audio interface, but I had similar issues with my MOTU interfaces so it might be a laptop issue.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:50 PM

Yeah it’s a shame you can’t use the stereo aux input in conjunction with the three mic/line inputs. Even if you didn’t have control via a pot on the front, it would be handy to have the extra inputs being recorded discretely. With the option to record at 32bit float, you wouldn’t even need to worry about adjusting the gain.

But yes, great sounding flexible unit. Bit pricey when you compare it to something like the Zoom F6, but I guess you’re paying for a Sound Devices product so it’s to be expected.

Speaking of the F6, I’m waiting for one to arrive. Looking forward to put that through its paces.