Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Howardk Howardk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Canada, just past the line!
Posts: 1,933
Default Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

Hi

Not enough DSP, so I am looking for a used PCIe Expansion Chassis so I can get more HD PCIe Accel cards. I have a 12 Core MacPro (2010). It looks like the Magma Expressbox 7 is the way to go. I see there are 2 different generations of the EB7, Gen I and Gen II.

All I am seeing for sale in the used market is the Gen I, is there any real need or upside to the Gen II version?

The Gen II is double the throughput, but does an HD5 PCIe card system need that, or when would it be needed?

Also, I can't find any compatibility information on Expansions Chassis and ProTools 10 in Avid support. . . does anyone know the link to that info?

Avid article on the EB7: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-II&popup=true

I would have gone HDX a long time ago, but Avid did not bother to support the blue faced 192s and WAVES has not done AAX DSP either, so it seems me, and everyone else I know that already had HD3, is sticking to ProTools 10 with the old cards. I bet if all the math was revealed, AVID is actually loosing business revenue by their planned obsolescence strategy, but that is another topic all together.

Please advise is anyone knows more about which Magma EB7 I can/should use, and any other associated caveats related to moving the cards out of the MacPro and into an expansion chassis.

Thanks!
__________________
See my Public Profile for System Configuration Information
(Click on member name)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-17-2015, 03:10 PM
Craig F Craig F is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,591
Default Re: Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

I think both are approved, Video & GCI both need higher bandwidth than Audio
the other related links seem MC related

To your other point, there were functions that were not doable in the old architecture and the old chips were End of Life/no further development
Parts manufactures discontinue parts lines regularly, I will not bore you with the hell I went through looking for an old Dolby PL Decoder chip for a system that needed it (it was cheaper than redoing the whole room but but it was a major PITA)
__________________
...

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements


Thank you,

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2015, 05:00 PM
fm_xtk fm_xtk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London, U.K.
Posts: 170
Default Re: Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

The EB-7 is indeed the way to go. I got one about 9 months ago and am running it in my MacPro 1,1 with 7 cards. It is awesome.

I seem to remember reading something about the Gen II not being qualified for HDX but since you will be sticking with TDM I dont think it will matter.

There is absolutely no reason to wait around for a Gen II box as the Gen I is much, much more common and also fully supported by AVID.

There are two potential caveats I should make you aware of:
  1. If you are planning to run more than 5 cards you will have to budget for a new PSU for the chassis.
  2. You should also replace the front fan for a silent one. The stock one is incredibly noisy.
Regarding the PSU: Make sure you get a juicy one. Most EB7's are 6+ years old which is absolutely no problem as far as the components are concerned (it's just a rack with a couple of PCB's). But the PSU's will be knackered and not able to adequately power more than 5 cards under load.

I used to have a ton of unexplainable, intermittent Kernel Panics when running HD7. The crux was that all cards alwyas passed DigiTest which only tests the funcionality of all the chips. However, problems started arising when the chips were under load as they draw considerably more power then.

Because of the way each mix is evolving different chips on different cards will be allocated even if you are failry consitent as far as track count/voice allocation and plug-in usage is concerned. That means erratic behaviour is very difficult to pinpoint. A bad PSU can screw things up in more ways than one so if you buy a chassis and start having issues this should be your fisrt port of call.

I recently spent some long and very painful hours troubleshooting my system until a member on this forum pointed me towards the PSU as a possible cause (I should use this opportunity to thank Bob Nagy again for doing so).

Once I swapped out the PSU all of these problems went away. It is very easy to do only takes about half an hour.

Regarding the fan: I bought this one which is absolutely brilliant and not very expensive at all.

I would definitely get an EB7. It works very well and prices for Accel cards are very low right now. I am surprised there aren't more people buying them at this point.
__________________
2x Hackintosh X79

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 PM
M2E M2E is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Kakalaka
Posts: 955
Default Re: Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_xtk View Post
The EB-7 is indeed the way to go. I got one about 9 months ago and am running it in my MacPro 1,1 with 7 cards. It is awesome.

I seem to remember reading something about the Gen II not being qualified for HDX but since you will be sticking with TDM I dont think it will matter.

There is absolutely no reason to wait around for a Gen II box as the Gen I is much, much more common and also fully supported by AVID.

There are two potential caveats I should make you aware of:
  1. If you are planning to run more than 5 cards you will have to budget for a new PSU for the chassis.
  2. You should also replace the front fan for a silent one. The stock one is incredibly noisy.
Regarding the PSU: Make sure you get a juicy one. Most EB7's are 6+ years old which is absolutely no problem as far as the components are concerned (it's just a rack with a couple of PCB's). But the PSU's will be knackered and not able to adequately power more than 5 cards under load.

I used to have a ton of unexplainable, intermittent Kernel Panics when running HD7. The crux was that all cards alwyas passed DigiTest which only tests the funcionality of all the chips. However, problems started arising when the chips were under load as they draw considerably more power then.

Because of the way each mix is evolving different chips on different cards will be allocated even if you are failry consitent as far as track count/voice allocation and plug-in usage is concerned. That means erratic behaviour is very difficult to pinpoint. A bad PSU can screw things up in more ways than one so if you buy a chassis and start having issues this should be your fisrt port of call.

I recently spent some long and very painful hours troubleshooting my system until a member on this forum pointed me towards the PSU as a possible cause (I should use this opportunity to thank Bob Nagy again for doing so).

Once I swapped out the PSU all of these problems went away. It is very easy to do only takes about half an hour.

Regarding the fan: I bought this one which is absolutely brilliant and not very expensive at all.

I would definitely get an EB7. It works very well and prices for Accel cards are very low right now. I am surprised there aren't more people buying them at this point.
Since you have 7 cards, does it see all 7 card chips?
Thinking about going this route when going to PT10HD.

Thanks,

Marc
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66ghz/PTHD3-10.3.10/OS 10.9.5/192 /16 Gigs Of RAM

New YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Raoul23 Raoul23 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,011
Default Re: Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_xtk View Post
The EB-7 is indeed the way to go. I got one about 9 months ago and am running it in my MacPro 1,1 with 7 cards. It is awesome.

I seem to remember reading something about the Gen II not being qualified for HDX but since you will be sticking with TDM I dont think it will matter.

There is absolutely no reason to wait around for a Gen II box as the Gen I is much, much more common and also fully supported by AVID.

There are two potential caveats I should make you aware of:
  1. If you are planning to run more than 5 cards you will have to budget for a new PSU for the chassis.
  2. You should also replace the front fan for a silent one. The stock one is incredibly noisy.
Regarding the PSU: Make sure you get a juicy one. Most EB7's are 6+ years old which is absolutely no problem as far as the components are concerned (it's just a rack with a couple of PCB's). But the PSU's will be knackered and not able to adequately power more than 5 cards under load.

I used to have a ton of unexplainable, intermittent Kernel Panics when running HD7. The crux was that all cards alwyas passed DigiTest which only tests the funcionality of all the chips. However, problems started arising when the chips were under load as they draw considerably more power then.

Because of the way each mix is evolving different chips on different cards will be allocated even if you are failry consitent as far as track count/voice allocation and plug-in usage is concerned. That means erratic behaviour is very difficult to pinpoint. A bad PSU can screw things up in more ways than one so if you buy a chassis and start having issues this should be your fisrt port of call.

I recently spent some long and very painful hours troubleshooting my system until a member on this forum pointed me towards the PSU as a possible cause (I should use this opportunity to thank Bob Nagy again for doing so).

Once I swapped out the PSU all of these problems went away. It is very easy to do only takes about half an hour.

Regarding the fan: I bought this one which is absolutely brilliant and not very expensive at all.

I would definitely get an EB7. It works very well and prices for Accel cards are very low right now. I am surprised there aren't more people buying them at this point.
Sorry to hijack this thread. I have a Magma P7R464 and have 7 cards fitted you mentioned you changed the power supply in your EB-7 because of kernel panics. im just wondering if this is related to my issue sometimes I suffer waves plugins not passing audio sometimes and I have to reload the sessions. Im wondering if its because the chips are drawing lots of power. My magma has the factory power supply in. Once again sorry to hi jack this thread
__________________
Raoul Crane
www.blaze-studios.co.uk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2015, 02:34 PM
fm_xtk fm_xtk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London, U.K.
Posts: 170
Default Re: Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Since you have 7 cards, does it see all 7 card chips?
Thinking about going this route when going to PT10HD.

Thanks,

Marc
Yes it does. It is fully supported / qualified by Avid.
__________________
2x Hackintosh X79

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 PM
fm_xtk fm_xtk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London, U.K.
Posts: 170
Default Re: Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread. I have a Magma P7R464 and have 7 cards fitted you mentioned you changed the power supply in your EB-7 because of kernel panics. im just wondering if this is related to my issue sometimes I suffer waves plugins not passing audio sometimes and I have to reload the sessions. Im wondering if its because the chips are drawing lots of power. My magma has the factory power supply in. Once again sorry to hi jack this thread
Really not sure as I have stopped using Waves plug-ins. I seem to remember vaguely having this issue years ago but cannot be certain now.

I suppose the thing to check is whether this is a common problem or whether it is unique to you. Also, is this something that's a recent development on a system that was fine before? I wouldn't have thought that certain plug-ins cause the chips to have more of a power draw than others (when taking the same amount of DSP).

Maybe try running a test session without using TDM and see if it happens on purely native sessions as well.
__________________
2x Hackintosh X79

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2015, 04:39 PM
M2E M2E is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Kakalaka
Posts: 955
Default Re: Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_xtk View Post
Yes it does. It is fully supported / qualified by Avid.
Wow, that's great news. So your able to use all those chips.
9x7=63 total chips for 7 cards? right?

Or does it let you just use 6 cards with chips and the 7th card for inputs?

Thanks,

Marc
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66ghz/PTHD3-10.3.10/OS 10.9.5/192 /16 Gigs Of RAM

New YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 AM
fm_xtk fm_xtk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London, U.K.
Posts: 170
Default Re: Magma Expressbox7 EB7 Which one? Gen I or II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Wow, that's great news. So your able to use all those chips.
9x7=63 total chips for 7 cards? right?

Or does it let you just use 6 cards with chips and the 7th card for inputs?

Thanks,

Marc
Yes, you have 63 chips available and how you use them is up to you.

However, some plug-ins take more DSP depending on which chip they are instanciated on. That is the same for all TDM rigs though, regardless of the number of cards you have.
__________________
2x Hackintosh X79

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2015, 07:03 PM
M2E M2E is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Kakalaka
Posts: 955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_xtk View Post
Yes, you have 63 chips available and how you use them is up to you.

However, some plug-ins take more DSP depending on which chip they are instanciated on. That is the same for all TDM rigs though, regardless of the number of cards you have.
Thx again for this info.
I think I'm going this route for my mix setup.
I use Logic Pro for music anyway but, having more cards would make the mixing process easier/quicker.

I really appreciate this info,

Marc
__________________
Mac Pro 2.66ghz/PTHD3-10.3.10/OS 10.9.5/192 /16 Gigs Of RAM

New YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro Tools 9.0, ExpressBox7 and MacPro 10.6.5 xpansionx Pro Tools 9 3 12-27-2010 11:35 AM
ExpressBox7 running 7 Pro Tools HD PCie card xpansionx Pro Tools 9 1 12-15-2010 02:36 PM
Anybody have Expressbox7 or Digidesign PCIe-PCIe chassis? derF Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 3 11-11-2008 05:08 AM
Magma Expressbox7 PCIe expansion Pete Gates Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 1 09-07-2008 02:08 PM
Magma ExpressBox7 PCI-E to PCI-E Expansion Chassis Armando Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 1 10-25-2007 05:11 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com