Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Default Internal SATA for storage?

Hello there,

I've got an xw4600 with the approved PCI-e SIIG card.

The good news.. it works for the digi003.

The bad news.. it won't see my digi003 and harddrive at the same time.

Digi/Avid has been notorious for squelching most of the throughput on the 1394 ports since day one, so I'm probably going to convert my LaCie drive into an archive.

This means, I need to get some storage. Given the basic math (and the warnings from Avid/Digi regarding 1394 performance).. I'm looking to work with internal storage.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with the latest SATA models?

Seagate Barracudas were always pretty strong performers, but Seagate drives took a dive the last time I was looking for internal storage (mid 2000's). The literature on the web doesn't make it seem like they've had much success in turning that around. Oddly enough, based on what I've been reading.. they are my front runner. (7200.12 or later to be specific. The XT's are also nice but pricey...).

I was always a HUGE fan of WD, but I've seen a lot of bad reviews of their latest models. The "intellipower" features seem great for the environment, however the thought of the variable RPMs makes me wonder what the consequences are when trying to start writing while the disk is idle. Applications like ProTools ask for disk resources quickly and hungrily.... I imagine the idling disk at low RPMs will cause all sorts of underruns when trying to write to disk. I've actually got a mirrored set of WD Raptors from back in the day used at my house for work, and the darn things are loud as hell when mirrored. (I suppose it's the aggregate of the two spindles writing at the same time.)

Hitachi has always seemed "late to the party" to me. Last to market, poor performance, etc.

The Samsung F3R looks pretty hot to trot to me right now. They are also the only drive I can find under 100 bucks(or right at in this case) that offers a 5 year warranty. That's either very impressive confidence in their craftsmanship.. or a really bad business decision.

Naturally I'm looking for a minimum of 7200 RPMs to meet the Avid specifications, however I'd also like something that's fairly quiet.

(Great link btw....http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...est-hard-drive)

and for fun....

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/08...bolted-rather/

I'd love to hear from others regarding their experiences? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Internal SATA for storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWolf76 View Post

I was always a HUGE fan of WD, but I've seen a lot of bad reviews of their latest models. The "intellipower" features seem great for the environment, however the thought of the variable RPMs makes me wonder what the consequences are when trying to start writing while the disk is idle.
I think this is so of only thr 'Green' range of WD.

Alot of guys here are using WD caviar black's with great success.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 04-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Alot of guys here are using WD caviar black's with great success.
I know I am. SATA II 32MB cache and SATA III 64 MB cache Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives run great for me.

Also I have a WD Scorpio Black 16MB cache drive for my Laptop's OS drive.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 AM

I like internals, they simply seem to cause the least amount of problems. I leave the FW stuff for notebooks and if Apple had the sense to add eSATA i would toss my FW drive under a bus.

WD Black are the current PT top choice. I also have a bunch of Seagates running without issue.

Last I knew Samsung and Hitachi where built in the same facilities. Popular consumer drive. People I know have had some issue with them recently involving slow sustained writes. There was a issue with the intel P35-P45 back in the day. I'm not going to say their junk but I would stick with the WD or Seagates. they are nice quiet drives for regular desktops and HTPC's.

The only thing louder than 2 Rapters in RAID 0 is 3 Raptors in RAID5 with a hotswap spare In a Lain Li V1000 (aluminum mesh G5 style) case. Sounded like a popcorn popper. And in RAID5 somethings always getting written somewhere. 4 Raptors in RAID.... what was I thinking.....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM

I run both Seagate Barracuda and WD Caviar without issues. The Black version is built like a tank. There is also an "AV" version of the BLUE that is 32 meg cache and built like a tank(if you can find them). Of course, backing up everything is ALWAYS a good practice. I run 4 internal drives on my setup and only use externals for archive/backup and transfers.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM

Thanks folks.. now if I can get my 003 running for longer than 45 minutes.. we should be in business.

Damn digi003 might have cost me a client tonight. I'm fuming over this upgrade.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:54 PM

I'm probably going with the Black Series.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 AM

I really like the WD caviar blacks. I noticed before this build that they where used by a lot of guys,, so thats all I've used since. WD also has great service. I had a drive quit on me, (but I'm sure it was an OS screw up), tried a few things, and then gave up. RMA'd it to WD and had a replacement drive back to me in a couple days,,, no questions asked! To me, that is quick and just good buisiness!! I have 9 WD drives, 2 machines. (Make sure you get the 32 MB cache, I believe thats all the black comes in,, but be sure). Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |