Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 PM

Default Can't open session - "Assertion...line 110"

I recently began working again on a session I'd begun 2 years ago. At the time I was running PT LE 7.0.4 on a Powerbook G4. I'm now using MBP, core i7 and PT LE 8.0.4, Mac OS 10.6.4. PT 8.0.4 has been working smoothly for me - I've worked on 2 new sessions since upgrading - several days ago I opened up an older session and began working on it.

First time I opened the older session file I got the "some fade files are missing" window and opted to have PT re-link to the files. By session's end PT still hadn't found the missing fade files so I opted to ignore and quit.

2nd time I opened the file, since the missing files hadn't affected my work I opted to skip the "re-linking" and searching process. Session opened, I worked, saved, quit and backed up. 3rd time I try to open the session I get a dialog that says:

"Could not complete the Open Session command because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/vb_devbranch_boondock/AlturaPorts/PT4_App/MacBuild/../../NewFileLibs/Time/Time_TypedBase.h", line 110."

Damn, wish I hadn't had to type that! (I made a screen shot, couldn't find a way to upload pic to the DUC...)

Anyway, after rebooting everything and running a permissions repair on the Mac, I went systematically through the process of trying to open up all my automatic backup files of that session - none of the recent session files will open, only the files from 2 years ago will open.

So I created a new session and used Import Session Data to bring in everything from the most recent version of the session. All good, session rebuilt, case closed I thought. However, after saving and closing, when I tried to re-open the newly re-built session file it also gave me the same "Could not complete Open Session..." window.

I've repeated the process a couple of times, each time it's the same. I also notice that each time PT imports the old session data to a new session, in addition to creating a new Session folder on my Audio Drive (in which are the usual Audio, Fade folders, etc) it also creates another Fade Files folder on my SYSTEM DRIVE! After rebuilding the session a third time I opened up the Workspace window, navigated to the Fade File folder on my system drive, moved those fade files back to the Fade folder on my Audio Drive (where they belong), but PT won't allow me to delete the folder on my system drive as the files are "in use". I can only delete the file in my Finder after PT is closed.

1 - So, has anyone else encountered this particular "Can't open session...line 110" warning?

2 - How can I stop PT from erroneously creating a Fade Files folder for a particular session on my system drive instead of on my audio drive?

Worst case scenario I'll have to export the audio and midi files and create a new session from scratch with just the raw tracks - but it'd be nice not to have to do that.

Kind of a long post, I know - thanks for taking time to read and consider...
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4

Last edited by Ticker; 08-14-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: info update
Old 08-15-2010, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Can't open session - "Assertion...line 110"

BTW - I've also tried trashing my prefs... problems still persist...
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
Old 08-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Still hoping for some sage advice (or even an educated guess!). Thanks...
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Avid

You say you trashed preferences, but you didn't indicate if you trashed databases as well. Have you? If not, please do so along with trashing preferences at the same time.

It also looks like you may have incompatible plug-ins installed - UVI workstation being one, Analog factory being another (update it to 2.5 or higher). The General Troubleshooting thread has links to the plug-in compatibility grid - compare your installed versions to the ones on the grid and remove or update any incompatible ones, then trash preferences so all plug-in data can be recached.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 AM

DigiTechSuppt - Thanks for the reply. I just went through the following steps, as per your recommendation:

I deleted the "Volumes" folder (HD>Library>Application Suppt>Databases>Unicode>"Volumes".

In User>Library>Preferences I deleted the following prefs:
DAE Prefs folder
Setup.OSX
ProToolsLE Prefs
DigidesignProTools.plist

I then removed (for the time being) the following Plug-Ins to the "Un-used PlugIns" Folder:
UVI Workstation
Arturia Analog Factory
BIAS Sound Soap
SFX Machine
Waves

At this point the ONLY Plug-Ins remaining in the Plug-Ins folder are the ones that came with the latest PT LE upgrade and the Factory Bundle plugs.

I emptied the trash, restarted the computer, opened PT, tried to open the session. It went through the loading process, then gave me the "Could not complete the Open session command.......line 110" dialog.

So I repeated the process of trashing prefs and databases, restarted, opened a new session, used "Import Session Data" to bring in everything from the problematic session. It worked fine, I saved and quit. Then immediately tried to re-open the same session I had just quit - no luck. "Could not complete the Open session command.......line 110"

Also, during the process of importing session data PT created an additional folder on my System drive, in which is a Fade Files folder containing maybe a dozen fade files. (These are files I would gladly be rid of!).

Questions:

You mentioned trashing database files in addition to pref files. I did that by trashing the "Volumes" folder, yes? Am I overlooking something in that dept?

I don't have any Digidesign Databases folder on either of my Glyph drives - should I?

Anything else you can think of?

Thanks very much.
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM

It sounds like you have a problem mixing samples and ticks. This is the type of error dialog that happens when you do that.

Check out your tracks and regions and see if they are all in ticks or all in samples. You might try deleting the tracks one by one until you find the offending track.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:38 AM

Bob - Thanks for that suggestion. I'll try it out later this afternoon and post as to how it works out. Much appreciated!
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Old 08-16-2010, 11:46 AM

I'd try this... make a new session and import tracks one at a time to narrow down which tracks are corrupt.

good luck.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:07 PM

Well it's been a long afternoon... Bob, you were onto something. As before, I created another new session and imported the data from the problematic session and, just like before, it played back and seemed stable. However, as per your suggestion, before saving and quitting I took a look at the individual tracks - 7 of them were set to tick based, all the rest were sample based. As it turns out the tick based tracks were all midi excepting one Instrument track. All of the sample based tracks in session were audio.

But in theory this shouldn't be an issue, right? Because when you create a new track in PT the defaults are tick based for Midi and Instrument tracks, sample based for audio. Hmmm - Anyway I changed all of the tick based tracks to sample based, saved and closed the session.

And this time it opened up again. Definite progress! However during the import session data process PT still created a second Fade Files folder on my system drive - but I now realized that that was apparently a separate issue and so I put aside for the time being.

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I repeated my steps from yesterday, all with the same results. The only way to import the session data from this particular session, save and be able to re-open the session was to first change the the tick based tracks to sample based.

Taking a cue from Brad's post, I thought that perhaps one of these individual midi/instrument tracks might be the root of it all, so I did "Save As" to make 7 different copies of the session, then systematically went through setting all the midi/Instrument tracks back to their Tick Based defaults, saving and closing after each. I was expecting that at some point I would encounter the "Cannot open session...Assertion" problem. But it didn't happen.

I've now rebuilt the session, restored midi/Instrument tracks to tick based, (left and audio tracks as sample based) and, one by one, moved all suspect Plug-Ins back into the Plug-Ins folder. All is working fine.

So I have no idea what the heck happened in the first place...

As to the fade files folder being created on my system drive, once I was sure that the session had been rebuilt successfully, I deleted the extra Fade Files folder from the system drive, selected "Skip All" when prompted to find the missing files on re-opening the session, then deleted them in the project browser so PT wouldn't go looking for them the next time I opened the session. Didn't need em anyway...

So it would seem that this problem has been resolved and I can get back to making music. Sincere thanks to Bob, Brad and DigiTechSuppt!
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2