Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-03-2003, 12:34 PM

Default Re: How do you use PT??

Howdy,

Great thread.

I started off as a musician in Hollywood / LA, playing clubs with a few bands, which introduced me to the world of ProTools back in '95. After copious amounts of drugs, rehearsals, infighting, making up, more shows, splitting up, etc. I had enough and realized my dream to get the heck outta LA for San Francisco.

My day job as an art director took me to a lot of post houses & studios, producing tv / radio spots. So I got to see another side of the ProTools world - this time engineers using Avid, Discreet, etc. I entertained thoughts of going back to school, become an engineer, working in radio, or a studio, but I decided against that for a myriad of reasons. These days I run my own little design firm so I can more or less set my own hours and focus on music.

I use ProTools as songwriter / musician. It's my glorified 8-track / sequencing station. What started out as a way to edit drum sequences in StudioVision became quite a bizarre obsession or journey perhaps. Like a previous post I'm more focused on creating my own music as art rather than commerce. I'm working with a female singer/songwriter right now... we've written 10+ songs, now we're in the process of tracking the first 5 as a demo to see if it can get play in some clubs, maybe get some shows. We make music of the dark, ethereal, non-commercial variety.

Anyway, that's the sanitized version.

Henry Lee
Old 07-03-2003, 04:33 PM

It is primarily for recording my own stuff, my band's stuff, and as a secondary income (I don't make very much money from editing, but it enables me to purchase a few things here and there for the studio - I almost always put back the money made from recording into the equipment). And sometimes, I'll take the money and go on vacation, too...I try and keep my recording equipment stuff to a minimum, and try and purchase things if I really need it. Otherwise, I'm inclined to continue using the old stuff if it's working well.

I am still recording analog, and started using Pro Tools mostly for editing stereo tracks. I'd mix down onto Digi001, usually performing several different mixes, and edit the pieces together, if it were even necessary (not looping things, but editing the better-mixed chorus, etc.).

Lately, though, I've been using it more and more for multi-tracking if people don't want to use tape, or if I want to do something fairly quickly but don't want to spend money on tape. Also, even with the stereo mixes, sometimes I'll add a few little things here and there for ear candy (extra sounds, a small guitar part, some background vocals, little percussion things, backwards cymbals, and that kind of thing).
Old 07-03-2003, 05:53 PM

Hi everyone,

My day job is related to electrical engineering/computers, music is more of a "personal project" (i.e. a little bit more than a hobby but I could not live from it). I do some recording of artists, from all genres (classical to metal). Sometimes I also compose some music for others, especially soundtracks for small animation movies. Sometimes I just rent my equipment [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

I also play and compose for many personal projects (alone and with other people), covering a wide range of genres, but mostly metal/rock or acoustic or classical (most often all mixed together with a progressive touch [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). I try to learn also about electronic music and so on, but right now I can't seem to get it right!

I don't think I could really live from music because what I really like is arranging my own ideas, and sometimes I can go for a few weeks/months without ideas. I need to get frequent rests to keep a fresh perspective on it. Music is part of a lot of other things (stories, drawings, etc.) but the main one in this "whole". However I get a little income from it and have some people around the world who are interested in what I do and enjoy when I have a new demo out! That's the best "prize" for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J
Old 07-04-2003, 01:05 AM

What's all this about music? Has everyone forgotten about us lowly sound - dialog - Snd FX editors for post production TV and Feature films... I use Protools (TDM 24 mix) everyday for 9.97 hours( excluding my 1 hour luch break)Then I go home and work my 002 for fun. I can't wait for DV toolkit. Gonna cut some sound FX for film at the house. Free coffee and Oprah on the TV at 3pm.... Woo-Hoo! is life getting sweet or what?
Peace! D- [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Control 24 - (2)192's
Old 07-04-2003, 01:16 AM

I turn 19 next week, and I use PT and a Digi 002 to run a professional mid-fi recording studio that I started up with two friends. www.blueroom.ca

We are just starting out, but have already recorded some pretty awesome stuff and everyone that has come to record has been over impressed with what we can do with such a simple amount of equipment.

For now, it is not my main source of income, as we are just starting out like I said, but I hope that it will become my full time job in the near future.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:27 AM

Well, at the moment Pro Tools is only a hobby for me (and a fairly expensive one, at that!). I just got my setup back in January '03, so I'm still fairly new at all this Pro Tools stuff. I use it primarily to capture any moments of inspiration that may come along.

I've been messing around with playing music for about 14 yrs. and I started playing with my first band about 7yrs. ago. I got to record with my current band in a real Pro Tools (TDM) studio back in June last year, and after that, I was hooked! I had to get a setup of my own. Me and one of my buddies did. So now we get to collaborate on new ideas when we get the chance, and have alot of fun doing so.

With my current 9 to 5 (a regular ol' office job), sometimes I long for a chance to make music for a living, but that's a hard road to go down. I also think sometimes it would be cool to work in a studio running Pro Tools. But I guess once you get used to things, a job is a job.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:07 AM

I use PT to earn my living as a sound designer producing sound tracks primarily for documentaries and occasional mow. I switched from tdm to le a year and a half ago once I thought I could give up my old nubus tdm (cost me big bucks so I milked that system as long as I could!). LE has been working great, and the addition of the DVtoolkit will help eliminate the nuisance of no timecode ruler. Good move digi. Next we need to add 5.1 mixing to LE.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:40 AM

It's cool to hear the diversity we have here.. And it sounds like most people are using PT to do something they love to do.. I, for one, have no problem depending on music for my money.. It's just fun stuff, I almost get consumed by it, and forget that 5 hours has gone by.. Now, I'm not sure if I could play guitar in a band, and try to do that to meet my needs.. But, anyway, keep them coming in..

eric
Old 07-04-2003, 12:09 PM

You're right - great diversity!

i would fall into the hobby-grade musician - I definitely won't be quitting my day job anytime soon. But I use PT to record my own songs, as well as to work on live recordings my band has done in the past to make CD's to send to the bandmembers and friends. i grew up on Studio Vision Pro with an Audio Media II and then an AudioMedia III, so a Digi 001 is a natural progression...
2013 15" MBP, 16GB, 512GB SSD; 10.15.2; 1.5TB FW800 External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2019.12
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 07-05-2003, 08:35 AM

I work as an IS Manager at a restaurant company by day, manage some websites on the side and try to get a tennis game in every now and then. Music is a hobby I was just born to do in whatever time is left over.

I like writing different styles but they are usually country, blues, newage or neo-classical. For all the nice gear I have, I don't get much done. I'm still spending much time learning about my gear rather than playing, but only got this stuff recently and am breaking down the barriers. I submit various works to TAXI because it gives me an outlet. I've had a few forwards, but no published deals yet. Anybody else out there using TAXI?
OSX 10.3.2