Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Default Can we get track icons to help colorblind users like me?

The track color-coding is great, but a lot of the colors are too similar for many colorblind engineers to correctly distinguish between when productions get complex and have a wide variety of instruments. One of my favorite boards is actually the SSL Duality for the simple reason that I can label my channels with instrument icons, which is very helpful for me to be able to tell where things are at a glance since using colors isn't really a viable option.

I know Reaper and Logic have implemented this feature very well, and I much prefer Pro Tools workflow, but when sessions get complex it makes me consider switching to a DAW that can provide this feature for me. I don't think this would be too difficult to implement, and could easily be a hideable option much like I/O, Inserts, Sends, etc.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Can we get track icons to help colorblind users like me?

Just realized you're new to this forum, your first post. Quickly got in to edit my post to add:

Hi and welcome to this forum!
By my post below, I really didn't mean to try and scare you off. My bad!
Got a tip for you: There's a site where you can add ideas and vote for yours and others. Its called 'ideascale'. Google it and add your ideas by all means.
Again, sorry for being quite hard on you and your first post.

Original post:
As much as I like for Pro Tools being available to as many people as possible, with disabilities or not, my main hope is for Avid to work on fixing bugs, speeding things up and make existing workflows become more efficient - before working on implementing even more features. That would make me really _want_ to renew my plan.

Perhaps using a single or double capital letter as a lone initial to the track name would suffice?

1 "DR Bass drum 1m"
2 "DR Snare 1m"
3 "DR Snare 2m"
4 "DR OH 1s"
5 "DR HH 1m"
6 "BA Bass line 1m"
7 "BA Bass mic 1m"

?

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free
Old 11-01-2016, 01:43 PM

That is an interesting feature request; but sadly, as I have learnt to understand everything must be first feasible on a control surface I don't see that Avid implements this in the foreseeable future. You will have to find workarounds for now...
Old 11-01-2016, 03:46 PM

Adding Emojis?... Oh NO!
Old 11-02-2016, 02:23 AM

Krmsound, Cubase 8 also has this hideable feature.

Avid won't add this feature and some will find a thousand and one reasons why a very useful feature is actually a dumb idea and should not be implemented.

Welcome to Pro Tools.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmsound View Post
The track color-coding is great, but a lot of the colors are too similar for many colorblind engineers to correctly distinguish between when productions get complex and have a wide variety of instruments. One of my favorite boards is actually the SSL Duality for the simple reason that I can label my channels with instrument icons, which is very helpful for me to be able to tell where things are at a glance since using colors isn't really a viable option.

I know Reaper and Logic have implemented this feature very well, and I much prefer Pro Tools workflow, but when sessions get complex it makes me consider switching to a DAW that can provide this feature for me. I don't think this would be too difficult to implement, and could easily be a hideable option much like I/O, Inserts, Sends, etc.

Hi krmsound,

I've forwarded your concern to the AVID Director of Partnering Programs and he replied with the following:

"As both an Avid employee and a blind Pro Tools user, I want to thank you for bringing this up and will raise this with our team of developers and beta testers. Though I know that a desire for track icons and requests for accessibility features are not one and the same, I encourage you to consider working with VoiceOver on Pro Tools (it is fully supported) and checking out Flow Tools here: https://flotools.github.io// If you have any questions about accessibility and Pro Tools, please contact me directly at [email protected]. - Ed Gray"

Best regards,
Tope