Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-21-2015, 07:05 AM

Default Arturia Matrix 12

One of my favorite synths from the 80's was the famous Oberheim Matrix 12. It was a beast of an analog synth with rich, powerful sounds. I never owned one, but a good friend of mine did, and we spent hours playing around with it. I loved its sound.

Arturia, which is well known for making VI emulations of some of the popular early analog synths, has a VI version of the Matrix 12. So, I was wondering if anyone here has it, uses it, likes it, doesn't like it, etc?

Its $169 US at the Arturia website. I'm wondering if its worth it.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2015, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Arturia Matrix 12

Demo'd but does the pop music sound like this today? Not IMHO hence nothing we are intersted in. I would like to hear someone on the charts right now using these old presets,

We have a few oldies like the Prophet 5 V3 / Juno-106 / Oberheim OB-12 / Jupiter 8 / Siel Cruise / SE-1 and the ATC-1 with all 4 expansions / Juno 2 / and a Moog Voyager aswell as a Moog Mono/Poly.

We use them like once a month or less as it takes days to wrestle the sounds out of them All of those are MINT so maybe we can sell them off one day and get a lot of investment capital for VI hehe

All our more modern synths like JU-06, Jupiter 80, SH-201, Roland JDXi and JDXA, we have 3 of the Dave Smith synths aswell as we got a very nice deal on all three and a few Nordleads since we know those guys and a few others that are the sounds of today so those analog beauties we have are Studio Queens never used, i wanna keep them MINT since they really Look Great

I think the new modern equivalents like the Roland Boutique models and the so on are the ones to go for instead of old software VI. The Boutique range for example sound Great, we have the old analog units and the new units and side by side they sound great or better in some instances.

So .. Sorry for the long post but really think about what sounds are on todays records and go from there, i would never invest in software that doesn't sound like the modern music of today. It is a lot of money to buy the software just to sit on a harddrive for a rainy day. No real value for the future so I would invest in hardware i can touch and it has a value to me atleast.

Just sat thru this 30 min demo last night and my ears are still hirting from the sounds. Flat and uncreative..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jSVcvhDla6c Not to mention the guy talking ooohhh aaaahhh wooooow ... mmmhhhmmmh ... Off putting to say the least!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 AM

IIRC the Arturia Matrix is included in their Analog Classics bundle which was/is on sale for $199 at JRR.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 12-21-2015, 04:57 PM

My only real issue with Arturia is that their GUI's are not resizable - which renders things like the CS-80 pretty much unusable, unless you don't mind getting a headache.

I think if you're sitting any more than about 3 feet away from a screen, that is no smaller than about 50 inches, you either need to set the resolution to something that is not really practical for Pro Tools, or you just have to put up with suffering for your art.

I don't have the Matrix, because until they allow GUI resizing, I'm not upgrading my V-Collection, but they do sound damn fine, and are inspiring re-workings of some of my favourite synths (I'm still waiting for an Elka Synthex).

My other grumble is that Spark VDM does not (in spite of a manual, and videos that say the contrary) allow for multi-output in Pro Tools - it seems to be stereo out only, with multi-out reserved for the VDM set used in the full version of Spark.

Fortunately, the full version of Spark 2 is included with version 4 of the V-Collection, so you're covered there.

If you want the Matrix, I'd say spend a few dollars more, and get the entire V-Collection :

http://audiodeluxe.com/products/arturia-v-collection-4

or

http://plugindiscounts.com/home/6738...lection-4.html

I've seen it even cheaper in the past, so you may benefit from holding out for the January sales.

As for it not sounding "modern" - it's a vintage synth, what do you expect?

Even todays most cutting edge, pop-ready synths, are tomorrows overused embarrassment...

...until the are eventually considered vintage in their own right, and come back in to fashion (although that's the preserve of hardware - it's just not going to happen with VI's unless someone get's in to hoovering up IP, and perpetually porting - until they go out of fashion again, and the whole process repeats).

You can either use the synths you have, and innovate, or you can follow the herd, and imitate.

Of course, in that situation you're having to be realistic about art vs commerce...
Old 12-22-2015, 06:23 AM

Carl - I agree with you about the re-sizing thing. They're not the only ones with that problem. Some of us need the large print editions!

I can see Christopher's point about the type of sound IF you're working in today's pop/EDM genre. But, for other kinds of work, sound design, sound tracks, I can see a place for some of the vintage synth styles and sounds.

And, let's not forget that pianos, violins, flutes, cellos, bassoons, oboes, etc, have all been used and around for, oh centuries!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:31 AM

One thing to note is if you already have Arturia licenses then upgrading to V4 can be attractive.
Also worth noting is that all the V4 plugs are NI-Komplete Kontrol compatible.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
One thing to note is if you already have Arturia licenses then upgrading to V4 can be attractive.
Also worth noting is that all the V4 plugs are NI-Komplete Kontrol compatible.
Yes Good Point! Thanks for letting us into that

Donald, I agree it might be useful in post and film etc but modern pop i say no.

And just to be clear, we have not made an EDM track for 8 months as it is a dying breed here in Europe, it has transformed into much groovier music thank God as I can't take more Avicii tunes anymore. I puke all over when i hear it!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-22-2015, 04:04 PM

I've had the full monty Arturia analog classics collection for some time now and it's worth it. Before I had the individual Moog Modular, Moog Mini and CS80. I went from those singles to the package and have never regretted it.

The Matrix 12 tends to be a bit on the quieter side than the other synths. I find I have to run it at higher levels to complete with the rest of the package. The sound should be judged on it's own and not compared to other synths. For some of the stuff I do I find certain synths can give me the sound I want without a lot of fiddling about and some take a while to get into and the Matrix 12 is in the latter category. The programming on it isn't the most straightforward out there.

As to the resizing thing - the Matrix 12 is one of the larger Arturia synths out there gui wise, especially when you compare it to the CS80 which really needs to be resizable. Actually the Moog Modular for as crowded as it is is nowheres near as bad as the CS80. The controls on the Modular are very readable and usable via mouse; try that on the CS80 and you feel like you're working with microfiche images. Even if you can blow up the gui on the CS80 the lettering becomes pixelated to the extreme.

I love the Arturia stuff for the most part but sometimes it just drives me bonkers.

QAPLA!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:55 PM

Appreciate all the comments. Thanks guys.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Demo'd but does the pop music sound like this today? Not IMHO hence nothing we are intersted in. I would like to hear someone on the charts right now using these old presets,

We have a few oldies like the Prophet 5 V3 / Juno-106 / Oberheim OB-12 / Jupiter 8 / Siel Cruise / SE-1 and the ATC-1 with all 4 expansions / Juno 2 / and a Moog Voyager aswell as a Moog Mono/Poly.

We use them like once a month or less as it takes days to wrestle the sounds out of them All of those are MINT so maybe we can sell them off one day and get a lot of investment capital for VI hehe

All our more modern synths like JU-06, Jupiter 80, SH-201, Roland JDXi and JDXA, we have 3 of the Dave Smith synths aswell as we got a very nice deal on all three and a few Nordleads since we know those guys and a few others that are the sounds of today so those analog beauties we have are Studio Queens never used, i wanna keep them MINT since they really Look Great

I think the new modern equivalents like the Roland Boutique models and the so on are the ones to go for instead of old software VI. The Boutique range for example sound Great, we have the old analog units and the new units and side by side they sound great or better in some instances.

So .. Sorry for the long post but really think about what sounds are on todays records and go from there, i would never invest in software that doesn't sound like the modern music of today. It is a lot of money to buy the software just to sit on a harddrive for a rainy day. No real value for the future so I would invest in hardware i can touch and it has a value to me atleast.

Just sat thru this 30 min demo last night and my ears are still hirting from the sounds. Flat and uncreative..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jSVcvhDla6c Not to mention the guy talking ooohhh aaaahhh wooooow ... mmmhhhmmmh ... Off putting to say the least!
Hey, wasn't that Stockholm pub under your signature owned by Max Martin?
Re. Max and ex-Cheironers, I heard that they used Roland JV 2080 heavily, and not a single legend synth like Prophet 5 etc. One guy said that they never switched on those hardware ones and worked with VI only.

Maybe you would know what VI are used/heard on countles int'l chart hits created by Stockholm guys all those years. I'm always puzzled to decypher what synth those guys use for famous short licks/blips etc