Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2003, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Mac g5 Buyer beware

A friend of mine, who has virtually unlimited resources, ordered a G5 when they were first announced, well before the product was actually being delivered. His dealer, who values his business, decided to initially hold off on his order. A short time after G5s started showing up my friend called his dealer and said, "Hey! Where's my G5?" His dealer begged him not to take delivery because the return rate was running at 30%.

How does that help you? Well, it doesn’t. Just know you are not alone. There are plenty of other folks with G5s that do not work. Sorry to hear about your problems, what a pain!

It is mho that regardless of the fact that Apple makes products that are so appealing to look at, (when I take one out of the box, I almost want to start licking it), they should have stopped making hardware a LONG time ago. If they had opened up their hardware and stuck to what they are REALLY good at, who knows how much elegance and pure beauty their software would be offering today.
Yes, I know. They did that and it did not work, but it was a halfhearted effort at best. Yes, I know. They HAVE to make the hardware to guarantee the performance of their software, but they SUCK at making hardware. Yes, I know. As of today, not much of the hardware inside that shiny case is really "APPLE". Nevertheless, they are configuring it, writing the specifications, and designing the core system, but they STILL suck at making hardware. Sheez... I keep thinking a company with so much vision and talent will figure this out. I don't get it. Just my view.

Some folks around here have wished for Apple to buy Digidesign. Oh PLEASE great father of all possible parallel universes, DO NOT let that happen. If any fantasy could come true, let Digi become big enough to BUY Apple. Then Digi could build the hardware for Apple's totally cewl software. That would work in my dream world.

I have prepared myself for a complete onslaught of hate messages. Just know before you string me up, I did not mean to hurt anyone.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:23 AM

Hey mixer,
Thought I would chime in on this one since I just recently left Apple (on the phones for about 2 years as Tech Support). The situation your in sucks, and I'm really sorry your having to deal with this... Unfortunately, this is the way Apple has things setup - if you're an EDU buyer, you have 30 days out of the box for a DOA replacement - that does not hold true for the non EDU, end user. Apple feels this kind of problem should be handled by the store from where the unit was purchased - what I would do, is take it into a local authorized Apple Service Provider and get the repair needed to get this machine working like it should be. Out of all the Mac's I've owned, I've only had one that was bad "out of the box" - took it in to a local Service Provider, and I was back up and running within a week (this may vary depending on parts, etc..). I know this is extremely frustrating and it SHOULD be working right out of the box, but sometimes, these kind of problems can happen - at least this way, it's being worked on by someone thats Apple Certified, and they can get you up and running so you can finally enjoy your new machine. Hope this helps.
Pro Tools 6.4
Digi 001
Old 11-05-2003, 12:56 AM

Now THAT is constructive.

GOOD post.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:43 AM

When I went to the Apple Store, they showed me a brochure that stated all G5s have a 30-money back guarantee. You should be able to return it within 30-days.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:26 AM

------------
Some folks around here have wished for Apple to buy Digidesign. Oh PLEASE great father of all possible parallel universes, DO NOT let that happen. If any fantasy could come true, let Digi become big enough to BUY Apple.
------------

Hey
As far as I know, Digi is a division from Avid...and one of the major owner of Avid is Microsoft.
Very disappointed with Macs since 1 ghz models and surprised with Dell Precision.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem... It used to be, we bought a computer for what we "knew" it could do... now we buy one, and "hope" it will do what we want it to do.

After spending 3 grand or more, the thing should be perfect... no excuses! For that kind of money, Apple should provide better quality control!

After all, with the success of the iTunes store, we'll all be calling Jobs, "boss" soon!
Old 11-05-2003, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Hey mixer,
Thought I would chime in on this one since I just recently left Apple (on the phones for about 2 years as Tech Support). The situation your in sucks, and I'm really sorry your having to deal with this... Unfortunately, this is the way Apple has things setup - if you're an EDU buyer, you have 30 days out of the box for a DOA replacement - that does not hold true for the non EDU, end user. Apple feels this kind of problem should be handled by the store from where the unit was purchased - what I would do, is take it into a local authorized Apple Service Provider and get the repair needed to get this machine working like it should be. Out of all the Mac's I've owned, I've only had one that was bad "out of the box" - took it in to a local Service Provider, and I was back up and running within a week (this may vary depending on parts, etc..). I know this is extremely frustrating and it SHOULD be working right out of the box, but sometimes, these kind of problems can happen - at least this way, it's being worked on by someone thats Apple Certified, and they can get you up and running so you can finally enjoy your new machine. Hope this helps.
it has been in an authorized service center since i purchased it. have now gotten the atorney generals office of the state of florida involved..they called the store..and apple. apple's policy is that the machine must be deemed unrepairable..no matter where it is purchased even if it is doa. in my case since it was repaired and defective parts were replaced even before i accepted delivery there may be some question that it might be considered refurbished under florida law. anyway the store says they have recieved a new logic board and it is being tested now..apple as assured me that if this repair doesn't work out i will be qualified for a new machine..and the atorney generals office is looking into the whole deal. meanwhile i have been without a computer for a week and unable to work and try to earn back the 3200 us i paid for the g5. GARY M.VANDY AUDIO PRODUCTIONS
Old 11-07-2003, 07:44 AM

finally got a new G5 ..but only after calling the attorney generals office of florida and the threat to stop payment on amex. i also hear from steve jobs office and they said they will look into the rude customer service agents that i talked to...if you but an apple from an authorized reseller make sure you get your return and replacement rights in print and signed..don't just believe them...also get a written statement that the computer you are buying has not had any replacement parts installed before you take delivery.and don't count on help from apple...for all use long time apple customers it ain't like it used to be...quite a learnig experience.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:30 PM

Hi Mixer.
I had problems with my first G5 as well, fortunately I got a new G5 ,the store, after a couple of days and some long phone calls to Apple Customer Service gave me a brand new machine. They've determined that the PCI bus was not working properly.
I think you should post the steps you took to get your matter solved, to help other PT users avoid the pain you have endured.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know. As of today, not much of the hardware inside that shiny case is really "APPLE". Nevertheless, they are configuring it, writing the specifications, and designing the core system, but they STILL suck at making hardware.

What are you smokin dude I mean have you ever opened a Mac? I know everyone has ideas how Apple
should do business, but then there is the the Big Dog MS and its dirty tricks, and all of that goes out the window. So dell should make apples hardware, gateway sheez
daniel