Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2003, 02:38 AM

Default Discrete Drums?

I've been contemplating on how to get drum tracks onto my projects without having to employ a studio musician. I have to say, I can't really make up my mind between these 2 options:

1) getting discrete drums series 2

or

2) getting the dr-008 software with a midi trigger and drumkit From Hell.

I've drummed in the past but I'm not quite good enough to track myself live. A buddy of mine really swears by discrete drums, but I think that option 2 would allow me a little more flexibility than option 1 though. I think I am leaning more toward the 2nd option. Any opinions?
Old 03-16-2003, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Discrete Drums?

Nick- Two words....discrete drums, and Acid. Can't go wrong...trust me. Yes you may lose a bit of flexibility in terms of the part, but what you lose in flexibility, you more than make up for in sound quality and realism. Something that is priceless in a pro drum track. Try them once and you'll swear by its concept forever! Matt
Old 03-16-2003, 08:31 AM

i agree. except programming loops in PT is almost as easy as acid, and you get the added benefit of keeping all your stuff inside a single session.

also, get dr-008 for sure. most loop cds come with a matching midi drum kit that you can use to fill in the gaps of your loop arrangements.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:43 AM

discrete drums all the way.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:48 AM

Wow. I guess that discrete drums appears to be the crowd favorite so far.

originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!
Quote:
also, get dr-008 for sure. most loop cds come with a matching midi drum kit that you can use to fill in the gaps of your loop arrangements.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That makes a lot of sense. It's kind of a compromise between the two choices. I like that idea.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:14 AM

Hi,

I bought discrete drums and was somewhat disappointed. The sounds and performances were great, don't get me wrong. The problem was that we attempted to introduce the beats a long time after the songs were essentially done, and we had already put alot of effort into programming the drums. Since we were so used to hearing the songs in that state, I could never find loops on the discrete drums that came close enough to about 90% of our stuff. And even the 10% took a long time to find.

Our solution was to use a drum brain for kick/snare/toms and perform the cymbals + hats live. It worked out great. We would do a select all on the midi track, then random quantize / velocity / duration to taste.

John.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:01 AM

Yeah - that's what I meant by flexibility. The songs I am looking to record are already written (and have been for a long time now). And I already have drum parts written for them. I don't usually write my songs to a beat. But rather, I write the song & then write a beat to follow it. Not the other way around.

I'm not sure how much flexibility I could get from discrete drums. I think, in the end, what I would end up with was a really "frankensteined" drum track resulting in my own rearrangement of the provided default Discrete tracks. If that would be the case, wouldn't I be better off just buying good drum sample libraries like Drumkit From Hell?