Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 AM

Default One Mbox, 2 computers: Trying to do the right thing.

Hi Everyone,

After an exhaustive (and remarkably frustrating) search of the forum with every possible way to phrase my question, I decided to just register just ask myself. (Hopefully I will improve my currently feeble skills here and be able to give back as well.)

I have an iMac (Circa late 2010) where I do ALL of my recording at present. I use an Mbox 2 Pro with Pro Tools LE 8.05. I also have a 13" MacBook Pro (Circa Early 2011) that I use for live performances (Soft Synths).

Lately I've had the need to take some of my Pro Tools projects out to live gigs to supplement the live performance with some Percussion tracks from the original recording (Percussion players are expensive ). Depending on the gig, I may need to make some edits on the fly to make the song longer/shorter, or possibly add or subtract other parts of the recording depending on what musicians we are able to secure that night. Otherwise I would just take a stereo WAV file and play it back in Quicktime. It also alows me a way to provide a Cick for the drummer from the original project if I take my Mbox. (among other benefits).

So the question: Is there a legit way to install my copy of Pro Tools on my laptop as well and use my existing Mbox 2 Pro at the live show? I'll only ever need to use them with one computer at a time.

I obviously don't want to try to haul around the iMac when I have a perfectly good laptop that I usually take anyway.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone on this. I really want to do the right thing, but don't want to buy another interface if I don't absolutely have to do so.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Default Re: One Mbox, 2 computers: Trying to do the right thing.

First, I applaud you for trying to stay within the law. Seriously, bravo.

This is very simply answered. Your MBox is your license dongle, much the same as an iLok. You can only use the software on one computer at a time, which is what the MBox is for. However, you're still allowed to move from computer to computer with your software and interface. That's the purpose of the hardware lock / dongle.

Basically, you're in the clear.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Re: One Mbox, 2 computers: Trying to do the right thing.

Awesome! I appreciate the concise and prompt response. Seems like such an easy explanation for something that took forever to find out.

Thanks again,

Aaron