Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 01-26-2015, 07:25 PM

Default plugin mapping / plot displays

Was reading up on McDSP v6:

The new Avid S3 and S6 control surfaces offer unique and exciting workflow advances for Pro Tools users. The McDSP v6 release carefully maps out every single control in our plug-ins intuitively for each control surface, creating a better workflow. Additional control surface features like plot displays on the S6 control surface are also included.

God bless McDSP for being one of the very few to support the AAX DSP community but with FabFilter and so many other amazing Native options, I am reluctant to go back to FilterBank, etc. even with some improvements. However, seamless console integration could push me over the edge.

When I bought my S6, an Avid rep told me that part of the intended benefit of AAX (aside from 64bit) was better control surface implementation. I was told that the S6 would eventually have the capability to not only intelligently map parameters to the knobs but display the plugin's actual GUI. Maybe I misunderstood. Wondering if anyone has heard anything to that effect? I'd love more visual detail than what is currently provided. Is that what McDSP is referring to when they say "plot displays"? Curious if anyone knows who is responsible for increasing that functionality - plugin developers or the S6 software team?

Last edited by loud neighbor; 01-26-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:07 AM

Default Re: plugin mapping / plot displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud neighbor View Post
I was told that the S6 would eventually have the capability to not only intelligently map parameters to the knobs but display the plugin's actual GUI. Maybe I misunderstood. Wondering if anyone has heard anything to that effect?
Your rep was correct in that the AAX format has separated the GUI from the DSP code so that they can be treated as individual identities, for lack of a better term. I certainly hope to see this one day but my best guess is that it's at least a year away considering they still have a lot to do with the basic functionality. And I think you'll see the improvements with mapping first and the GUI stuff later (if at all)

Just my 2 cents based on what I was told at the various S6 demos I've received over the past year and a half.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Your rep was correct in that the AAX format has separated the GUI from the DSP code so that they can be treated as individual identities, for lack of a better term. I certainly hope to see this one day but my best guess is that it's at least a year away considering they still have a lot to do with the basic functionality. And I think you'll see the improvements with mapping first and the GUI stuff later (if at all)

Just my 2 cents based on what I was told at the various S6 demos I've received over the past year and a half.
Even scales on the axes of the three "plots" it does support would be nice in the mean time.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:18 PM

Right now the whole plugin mapping is very inconsistent and bad at many places, even with their own Avid plugins. I truly hope they're going to do something in the next release.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Right now the whole plugin mapping is very inconsistent and bad at many places, even with their own Avid plugins. I truly hope they're going to do something in the next release.
Agreed. I think that Avid needs to do a really good job of convincing 3rd party plugin developers to implement the Eucon protocols properly so that they work well with control surfaces.

Also I think Avid needs to enable more customisation on how plugin parameters are laid out on the surface, as I'm sure most plugin devs don't have access to an S6 to test it!

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 01-29-2015, 05:03 AM

Yes, we all are very early adopters. I always say, the S6 has the potential to become the best, it's up to Avid what they're going to do with it.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:52 AM

Been advocating for this in many years now... Unfortunately Avid has proven to show very little care for there customers. Well done Avid!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
Been advocating for this in many years now... Unfortunately Avid has proven to show very little care for there customers. Well done Avid!
I can assure you this is way off the mark. When did you install your S6 ?
Old 03-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Avid

There are a few different parts to plugin support on the S6.
  • The dedicated EQ and DYN buttons will always map the same controls to the same knobs regardless of plug manufacture. This is for obvious reasons of predictability.
  • Avid provide a great piece of graphical software to AAX plugin developers to aid in them building their knob maps. We also provide guidelines, although they don't have to follow them. If a particular plugin does not have good maps then please contact the manufacture, the more that ask the more likely they will make them.
  • Avid does make the maps for our own plugins so if you have suggestions on how to improve them please let us know. Just saying they are bad doesn't help anyone.
  • AAX plugins support the EUCON graphs (EQ and DYN) but again unless the plugin manufacture implements them they won't display. Please ask them to add this.
  • S6 Custom knob maps (and faders) have always been on the cards, there's just been a lot of other features we needed to do first.
  • Plugin GUIs on the surface has always been a dream since the early design days and again once we get through other things we can look at this.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
There are a few different parts to plugin support on the S6.
  • The dedicated EQ and DYN buttons will always map the same controls to the same knobs regardless of plug manufacture. This is for obvious reasons of predictability.
  • Avid provide a great piece of graphical software to AAX plugin developers to aid in them building their knob maps. We also provide guidelines, although they don't have to follow them. If a particular plugin does not have good maps then please contact the manufacture, the more that ask the more likely they will make them.
  • Avid does make the maps for our own plugins so if you have suggestions on how to improve them please let us know. Just saying they are bad doesn't help anyone.
  • AAX plugins support the EUCON graphs (EQ and DYN) but again unless the plugin manufacture implements them they won't display. Please ask them to add this.
  • S6 Custom knob maps (and faders) have always been on the cards, there's just been a lot of other features we needed to do first.
  • Plugin GUIs on the surface has always been a dream since the early design days and again once we get through other things we can look at this.
My comment was aimed at 3rd party manufacturers. Avid plugins maps very well.
Had many bad or inconsistent mapping with Fabfilter for example. Slate plugins are among the worst, but it seems they don't really care about this. :) Plugin Alliance is pretty good, and they also very responsive if someone has any issue.