Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-10-2004, 09:41 PM

Default How to combine 2 mono wav files into 1 mono file

There are many occasions where I have 2 mono wav files (2 hours in duration) that are need to quickly be combined/mixed together into a single mono wav file. Is there a faster way than "Bounce To Disk" to do this? I can't seem to find one in my 6.2.3 on OsX.

If not, do you know of an inexpensive stand-alone app that will do the same thing @ 24 bit 48k?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:34 AM

Default Re: How to combine 2 mono wav files into 1 mono fi

You can do this much more quickly than using bounce to disk. Just edit the two files together on the timeline and then rather than using the bounce to disk command, select the two adjacent regions and choose 'consolidate selection' from the edit menu (or press Shift+Option+3). This will then make a new single audio file from the original two and will appear on the timeline and in the audio regions list. Next go to the audio regions list, select the new full length audio file by clicking it and then choose 'Export selected as files' from the regions list menu at the top. You can then save this to disk in whatever format you choose. Alternatively, you could just use the newly consolidated file straight from your sessions audio files folder if it's already at the sample rate/bit depth you need it to be.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:43 AM

I think he wants em summed.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:21 AM

Thank you for your help but I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to do. I may not have explained it well enough. I don't need to take two 2 hour files and join them end to end to create a single 4 hour file. I need to mix them together in place as if routing the two to the same mono output and create one 2 hour file. I've asked quite a few people and there doesn't seem to be a way. Maybe there's a plug-in? Quicktime will do it but only at 16 bit.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:41 PM

Sorry for misunderstanding your question. There is a way to do this, but it's a little bit fiddly:
First import the two mono audio files into your session.
Put them onto two mono audio tracks on the timeline, with both regions starting at the same location.
Ensure that the two mono tracks are centrally panned so you can audition what they'll sound like when combined together.
Next, use the trimmer if necessary to make the two files exactly the same length.
Rename one of them 'something.L' and the other one 'something.R'. This will make protools see them as a single stereo file rather than 2 mono ones.
Now select this 'stereo' file from the regions list and select 'export selected as files'.
By choosing to export it as mono, you'll combine the two, and much more quickly than bouncing to disk.
The only drawback of this is that you can't put in any automation data, and the relative level of the two files is fixed to whatever level they were recorded at. You could potentially change the level of one using the normalize plug-in to balance it out as needed before exporting. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:01 PM

You're trying to be so helpful that I hate to disagree but what you suggested doesn't work - at least in my version. I had tried that before but only had the option of Stereo and (multiple) Mono which saves 2 mono files which is what I started out with.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:35 PM

how about this
pan them both to hard left and choose multiple mono on the export
then you will still get two files but one of them will be the sum and one will be nothing
Old 11-12-2004, 12:34 AM

Panning them both hard left and then exporting to multiple mono won't work either as automation data is ignored when exporting. I've worked out how you can do it though! My previous instructions were correct up to the point where you actually export the files. Since there's no summed mono option, export them as a stereo file instead and then take them into itunes. By changing the import preferences in itunes to mono WAV, you can convert your stereo file to a summed mono one by selecting 'convert selection to WAV' from the 'Advanced menu'. I've tried this and it works!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:37 AM

Then again, itunes doesn't do 24 bit! Looks like there's no way to do it at 24 bit/48khz.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:29 PM

how about quicktime pro?
i'm not on a system right now so i can't check it