Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-30-2016, 02:00 AM

Default Could use a shortcut for soloing the track while in a playlist lane

When I go through takes in playlists view, I often want to switch back n forth between hearing them in the mix and hearing them solo. I feel there should be a [something]-S for toggling the track's solo button while the cursor is in a playlist lane. Is there a way to do this currently? If not, I'll add it to ideascale and propose option-S (on Mac), since that seems to do nothing right now.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Could use a shortcut for soloing the track while in a playlist lane

Shift S does not work for you ?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 12-30-2016, 06:34 AM

Shift S will solo the playlist, not the track.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Shift S will solo the playlist, not the track.
Or the opposite
Old 12-30-2016, 07:05 AM

Make sure Link Track and Edit selection are activated, select an edit selection on desired track in playlist view, use : and P buttons to move up and down selected playlist then use Shift+s to solo selected playlist... Voila!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:15 AM

The OP wants to be able to solo the playlist and then audition the take in context and soloed. Shift S only solos where the cursor is, so it's either the playlist or the track.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 AM

Clumsy workaround:
object-select the clip on the main playlist , shift-object-select the clip in an additional playlist : shift s will solo the playlist and the track (solo without context),
move edit selection down, move edit selection up (now only main playlist is selected) : shift s will unsolo the track (solo with context).
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 12-30-2016, 10:41 PM

on a related subject, I would really like a mode where moving up and down the playlists would have the solo follow the selection. So you wouldn't have to move the selection, then set the solo to follow (shift S).

If this was the case, shift S could be bound to solo just the track as OP is looking for.

Anyone else wish for this?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:17 PM

Hi All,

I'm behind this all the way.

I'm on the verge of finally moving over from my trusty TDM HD3 systems, and I've been experimenting with Playlist comp'ing for a while now. I'm historically a "Mute Frees Assigned Voice" workflow kinda guy, which I have not been able to replicate with Playlists (apologies to all those who've seen me banging on about this elsewhere around here).

If anyone would like to get a gist of what this "voice stealing" (manual voice assignment) workflow means, below is a thread discussing it (from Post #3) when HDX first came on the scene and it was realised that manual voice assignment had been removed. Paul V from Avid engineering came on the thread to say that they recognised that the voice stealing workflow is important to some people and that there were plans to emulate it.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316448

My assumption was that Playlists would be where this would happen, so any improvements to the functionality of PL's is very welcome from my point of view.

Regards.

Steve Bush

PS: JSComposer, I feel the same frustration as yourself over how the PL's solo (there's a lot that's a bit clumsy about PL's IMHO). Just so you didn't think I did a drive-by moan about Playlists in general, and hijacked your thread.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1daly View Post
on a related subject, I would really like a mode where moving up and down the playlists would have the solo follow the selection. So you wouldn't have to move the selection, then set the solo to follow (shift S).

If this was the case, shift S could be bound to solo just the track as OP is looking for.

Anyone else wish for this?
^ THIS!

Please.