Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Default TDM: 2nd machine for processing?

Ok, so with the lack of DSP support for AAX and halt of some manufacturers to even update old plugins, i'm thinking I might keep my HD3 system on a windows machine and use it purely as an external fx unit of sorts. Eventide reverb, TC reverbs etc.
Can anyone advise me as to why this might not work?
After all, coupled with say a MADI box, TDM should process the I/O pretty fast to another machine with a MADI and either HD Native or HDX no?
My TC System 6000 is basically a DSP card with Win XP running it after all..
My thoughts are that an HD3 can still run some very nice reverb algos as if it were multiple fx units..so say 8 Eventides and 8 TC VS3's etc..
If halted at PT10 this machine could function like this for YEARS in theory.
Any thoughts?
(Im pissed Eventide have not planned to update their Anthology bundle, and only offered an "upgrade" to 1 poor plugin so far..)
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM

Default Re: TDM: 2nd machine for processing?

That's an expensive multi-fx unit!

Kidding aside, I see no reason this couldn't be worked out with a bit of trial and error.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 PM

If you use Satellite Link to do this, I'm not sure if it even matters if you keep the TDM system on HD10, and keep the other system on whatever the current version is, whether 11, 12, etc. I think you may be able to have both systems integrated, at least for a while.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 AM

I'm doing something similar, sometimes I'm using my old PT 24 MIX 4 as a giant FX processor next to my PT HD 6 Accel with PT HD10. Both systems are interconnected by 8 stereo AES/EBU streams (from a HD 192D to 2 x 888/24 and back). It is important to sync both systems to the same Master Clock, in my case an Apogee Big Ben, but it can be one of the 2 clocks of the systems you are interconnecting. The best way is to make one system master (clock= Internal), the FX system slaves to this system by syncing to the imbedded Word Clock in the AES/EBU streams (clock = Digital AES/EBU).

There is no need for Sattelite Link because my PT 24 MIX is never actually playing, it just has a session opened with Aux Channels with FX plug-ins inserted on them. In PT HD I simply use hardware send/returns to PT 24 MIX and back. It all remains in the digital domain and it works without any latency.

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
I'm doing something similar, sometimes I'm using my old PT 24 MIX 4 as a giant FX processor next to my PT HD 6 Accel with PT HD10. Both systems are interconnected by 8 stereo AES/EBU streams (from a HD 192D to 2 x 888/24 and back). It is important to sync both systems to the same Master Clock, in my case an Apogee Big Ben, but it can be one of the 2 clocks of the systems you are interconnecting. The best way is to make one system master (clock= Internal), the FX system slaves to this system by syncing to the imbedded Word Clock in the AES/EBU streams (clock = Digital AES/EBU).

There is no need for Sattelite Link because my PT 24 MIX is never actually playing, it just has a session opened with Aux Channels with FX plug-ins inserted on them. In PT HD I simply use hardware send/returns to PT 24 MIX and back. It all remains in the digital domain and it works without any latency.
Yeah thanks..thats pretty much what i was thinking of doing! I'll probably never need the old HD system to "play" anything..it will just receive audio in and out and be a large Reverb/Delay station for Eventide, TC and other TDM only plugins! :)
Since HD cards are going for as low as £150 now on ebay i might grab a couple more.. i'm surprised more people aren't doing this.
Means i dont really need to go up to HDX and can probably just use a Native card to keep the latency low on the (eventual) 64 bit Pro Tools 11 Uber Mac.
Cheers for the reply.
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
Yeah thanks..thats pretty much what i was thinking of doing! I'll probably never need the old HD system to "play" anything..it will just receive audio in and out and be a large Reverb/Delay station for Eventide, TC and other TDM only plugins! :)
Since HD cards are going for as low as £150 now on ebay i might grab a couple more.. i'm surprised more people aren't doing this.
Means i dont really need to go up to HDX and can probably just use a Native card to keep the latency low on the (eventual) 64 bit Pro Tools 11 Uber Mac.
Cheers for the reply.
I did this with my old mix system for a while after I upgraded to PT9... I kind of regret selling the mix rig but just didn't have the space for all the extra gear at the time.

Another trick that makes this kind of setup really slick is get a dedicated monitor for you older FX rig, and then use the free app "synergy"... it makes the second computer behave as an extended desktop for your main rig. When you move your mouse to the edge of either screen, your keyboard and mouse automatically take control of the other computer.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
I did this with my old mix system for a while after I upgraded to PT9... I kind of regret selling the mix rig but just didn't have the space for all the extra gear at the time.

Another trick that makes this kind of setup really slick is get a dedicated monitor for you older FX rig, and then use the free app "synergy"... it makes the second computer behave as an extended desktop for your main rig. When you move your mouse to the edge of either screen, your keyboard and mouse automatically take control of the other computer.
Brilliant! Totally forgot about that software..just went and donated!
Thanks
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram