Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Default import OMF & maintain original timecode

Over the years, I've read and reread up on Time Code... I understand some things about it, but it's taking a while to understand it's implications fully

I'll try to keep my question short though

My friend is editing a video in final cut pro at 23.98 fps

She then outputs an OMF

I import the OMF, and I think I'm keeping it at 23.98 fps... In the import window ("Import Session Data") under source properties, it says the Time Code Format is 23.98

I import it, but when I go to Session Setup, it says Time Code 30 fps

What's going on? Did I convert it to 30 fps? How did I do that? How do I keep it at 23.98 fps?

Or is 30 fps just PT's internal handling of the Time Code? But I need to give it back to her at 23.98... how do I do that?

I guess part of my question is, what happens if I now change it to 23.98fps (from the 30 fps it says it is in the session setup)?

Please enlighten

Thank you for your time

Sincerely,
Pietro
Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Re: import OMF & maintain original timecode

I just remembered, Time Code is just naming scheme, right? It doesn't change the length of anything... so in the digital realm, going between programs, there shouldn't be any problems, right? I mean, if my friend gives me 23.98 fps, and I'm reading it as 30 fps, work on it and give it back, and she imports it back to Final Cut Pro, and reads it at 23.98... will there be any time distortion? If we're both using internal clocks?

Maybe I'm way off...
Old 01-09-2010, 07:59 PM

The session timecode rate is not set based on your importing of any OMF/AAF with certain timecode rate. Digitranslator is seeing the timecode rate as you would like at 23.976 (23.98), but that doesn't mean it will automatically set the session timecode. Go into your session setup window, change it to the desired rate, and then import you OMF. Pro Tools seems to default to the previously used timecode rate when creating a new session.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 PM

pietro,

are you starting from a new PT session and then importing? If so, then I suspect your session is set to 30 before import.

Try just double-clicking on the OMF, or "Open Session" from with PT. The OMF will set the session rate for you.

By the way, what version of PT?
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro79 View Post
I just remembered, Time Code is just naming scheme, right? It doesn't change the length of anything... so in the digital realm, going between programs, there shouldn't be any problems, right? I mean, if my friend gives me 23.98 fps, and I'm reading it as 30 fps, work on it and give it back, and she imports it back to Final Cut Pro, and reads it at 23.98... will there be any time distortion? If we're both using internal clocks?

Maybe I'm way off...
True in PT. Not true anymore in FCP.

Philip Perkins
Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vision View Post
The session timecode rate is not set based on your importing of any OMF/AAF with certain timecode rate. Digitranslator is seeing the timecode rate as you would like at 23.976 (23.98), but that doesn't mean it will automatically set the session timecode. Go into your session setup window, change it to the desired rate, and then import you OMF. Pro Tools seems to default to the previously used timecode rate when creating a new session.
So are you saying that when I bounce or export regions, the audio files will somehow be printed with the timecode that I have specified in the sessions setup?

So I import the OMF, and then go change the time code to whatever I want in session setup, and when I output the audio (either bouncing or the exporting through regions list) the audio file will keep that timecode?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:56 AM

try not to import it, simply open it ( click the omf file) ..frame rate settings should be the same as the omf video
Less is More
Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
So I import the OMF, and then go change the time code to whatever I want in session setup, and when I output the audio (either bouncing or the exporting through regions list) the audio file will keep that timecode?
True.

When you import audio regions via omfi, regardless of what timecode rate your PT session is set at, the relative placement of audio regions will be maintained. The audio length will match the picture length. That is good, but where exactly the whole sequence falls on the timecode timeline may not be right. Philper hints at potential problems with 23.976 frame rate between FCP and PT. (What I'm about to explain does not happen with other frame rates.) When exporting audio out of a 23.976 FCP project, the omf is always read by PT as 24. I don't know exactly why. So, regardless of whether you set PT session before importing for 23.976 or 24, the timecode position that the audio gets imported to will be wrong. (As I said, running time will be correct but the timecode numbers will be wrong.) The workaround for this is easy. Before the audio is exported, insist that the video editor put a "2-pop" at the head and tail of the program, a visual flash with matching audio beep or clap on all tracks. (The terminology police who lurk here will complain that a 2-pop is only at the head, but you know what I mean.) Also find out what timecode number the head pop falls on. Set your session to 23.976, import all audio, then manually move all audio (all as one group to preserve relative placements) to the correct timecode location. Next, match the picture placement to your audio using the 2-pop. There should be no drift between audio and video for the show's length and both head and tail pops should line up exactly. Your audio and picture are now placed at the proper timecode locations and whatever you export will have correct timestamps. You and the editor can exchange notes with exact timecode reference, too.

When it is time to import your work into FCP, there is another potential trap. Those correct timestamps are not a guarantee the audio will come into FCP right. FCP loves to samplerate convert audio when it sees fit. Others can chime in as to why and where, because I don't have FCP, but it is possible that your mix will be imported and converted to a new (and incorrect) length. I've never had this happen to me, probably because I've worked with people who know how to set up FCP defaults before starting a project. Some FCP newbies do not. There are a couple of other threads about this problem which I hope someone will link here for you. The workarounds are in those threads.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:26 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll take another step and see if it works

Sincerely
p