Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2008, 08:20 AM

Angry Pro Tools Not Installing!!!

I recently bought the new pro tools 8 and it is constantly hanging at "Installing Digidesign Hardware Drivers" Im wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I am running it on windows vista. I had no problem with pro tools 7.4 but i cant seem to install version 8 to save my life. If anyone can help I would very much appreciate it...
Old 12-25-2008, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Not Installing!!!

This happened during my install too. For some reason, installing the PACE drivers (which I think is what's happening at that point of the install) on my machine will hang forever if I'm connected to the internet. Same thing if I try the standalone PACE install from their website. Unplug your network cable and try the install again.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:33 PM

i tried disabling my network card and i pulled out my wireless usb internet card 2...and it still hangs
Old 12-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Avid

Did you do all the other optimizations from the General Troubleshooting thread?

If not, I'd start there, then post the necessary information, per the info in that thread, for us to help you further.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:45 PM

Unhappy Re: Pro Tools Not Installing!!!

I'm having the same problem.

I just completed a fresh install of Vista, and completed all of the optimizations. The M-Audio Firewire Control Panel works fine, and the PACE Interlok (iLok) USB dongle is properly installed and successfully synchronized with iLok.com.

The first time through I tried installing everything and only got about 15% through when it said to be "Installing Digidesign hardware drivers..." and hung. Then I selected to just install the app files and it appeared to get ~65% through but did the same thing.

x Application Files (Required for Pro Tools)
- DigiRack Plug-Ins
- Pro Tools Creative Collection

I've gone through and disabled everything that might get in the way, no antivirus, NIC, nothing, even as far as trying it in Safe mode, but it always does the exact same thing no matter what I do.

It appears that when it begins to install the hardware drivers that it launches a new setup.exe process, indistinguishable from the first in Task Manager. I end up having to end the process to continue. I simply guess at the one with the lowest memory being used at the time ~14,648K vs ~17,508K, which allows me to back out the install through the following dialogs:

---------------------------
Digidesign Audio Drivers
Digidesign Audio Drivers returned an error.Error: 1
OK

Exit Setup
Are you sure you want to cancel the setup?
Yes No

I installed PC Wizard 2008 to analyze my system as per a Digidesign support suggestion and have found nothing other than my system has an excellent Windows experience rating of 5.40

Any tips or pointers to help resolve and complete the Pro Tools 8 M-Powered installation wouold be greatly appreciated. -Thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 08:33 PM

Post Re: Pro Tools Not Installing!!!

I figured out my issue...

When I first attempted to install and it hung, I ended the original setup.exe task instead of the second drivers setup that launched. This prevented the installation from backing out cleanly, and left two registry entries for the MME Refresh Service. I'm not exactly sure how or why, but apparantly this was causing a conflict with the other drivers installation because after I deleted these two registry entries and rebooted, I was able to install Pro Tools 8 M-Powered.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:37 AM

I remember having similar issues. I was able to install with no problem after I restarted though too.
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Old 01-04-2009, 04:26 PM

I am not sure it would help, but couldn't hurt to try:
Copy the DVD to your hard drive.
I was having trouble installing PT8 from a dvd- then I copied it to an unused temp partition. It finally ran well- I did for an XP machine- but it's worth a try.
Good luck.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:19 PM

I'm having this problem now after purchasing a digi 003. I had an MBox 2 and I uninstalled pro tools and all the drivers for it and I've started reloading with my new PT 8 CD and the digi 003 is hooked up and the green link light is on. It gets to the "installing hardware drivers" part and it has been just sitting here for 20 minutes hung up.

Any help on this?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
I'm having this problem now after purchasing a digi 003. I had an MBox 2 and I uninstalled pro tools and all the drivers for it and I've started reloading with my new PT 8 CD and the digi 003 is hooked up and the green link light is on. It gets to the "installing hardware drivers" part and it has been just sitting here for 20 minutes hung up.

Any help on this?
Launch the installer with Run As Admin (right click the installer) if it hangs for longer than 30, do a manual restart. The try installing again and it should zip through.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio