Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Hear Technologies: Hooking up with 192?

Well, I am installing Hear Technologies 'Talkback' and 'Hearback' systems with my 192 interface.

My hope was to have the ADAT output via an interlink cable setup to feed the thing. But I seem to be unable to get it setup so that the Hearback system is fed with that and not the aux out of the Talkback system.

I have been all around this thing, and cannot seem to get the right output settings configured to comply with the input of the Hearback.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would like to be able to use all 8 of my outputs to feed this thing for monitoring, but I do need at least one stereo pair to feed the monitors.

If I sound frustrated, I am.

Anyone working with a similar setup?

Thanks.

-J
Old 10-16-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Hear Technologies: Hooking up with 192?

Im not sure if this will help. have you selected the correct digital output format in the hardware setup window?
HerronSFX Instagram
Old 10-16-2007, 11:49 AM

the correct one, all the wrong ones, every combination I can come up with.

I am afriad this will really take someone who has done it and made it work... I contacted HT about it and, well... not a ton of help.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:04 PM

Do you have "ADAT" or "Analog" selected on the front of the hearback amp? Set it to "ADAT". As a last resort, you could just use the analog inputs. We send out headphone cues through the "B" outputs on the the 192. So, when you set up a headphone send in PT, choose "B" 1-8.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 PM

It is set to adat.

I never get the clock light to go green and never see a signal hitting the thing.

'B' outputs?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Ok, well I went back through this and stopped making assumptions... like about being able to output a different sampling rate via the ADAT optical port than what the session itself is being recorded in...

Simply put, make sure the session is at 16/48 if you wish to use the ADAT out to feed the TB/HB system.

Works nicely, except for those of us who like to record at a bit more of an aggressive rate. So I guess I will have to deal with some other things...

Or maybe get something to convert the output after the 192 and before the TB/HB.

-J
Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 PM

any ideas on how to take the ADAT digilink and covert the rate from what the session is recorded in, into something consistent?

ie, taking the output of a session recorded at 96k and make it 48K without dropping the whole session down to that level?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM

[quote

Simply put, make sure the session is at 16/48 if you wish to use the ADAT out to feed the TB/HB system.

[/QUOTE]

Joe,

This doesn't make sense to me. You should be able to use the ADAT output in a 24 bit, 44.1/48/96K, whatever. Also, pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand why you would need the signal going to the hearback to be different than what is being recorded.

When I say the B outputs, I'm talking about the 8 analog outputs coming out of the back of the second 192 interface via the db 25. They will be coming out of 1-8 or 9-16 depending on where you seated your output card. That is of course, if you have the 8 analog output card in the back of your 192. After connecting the db25 cable from the outputs 1-8 or 9-16 on the back of the 192, into the inputs 1-8 on the hearback, you will assign each headphone send. Go to your sends in PT. You will see that you can send audio through the interface or buss. The interface will have A and B sends. Assuming you have your outputs set to default in your I/O, you can assign for example a guitar to send the signal to B 5 (output 5) and that signal will go through the hearback. You should also see lights danc'n on the 192 interface from the output you assigned.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:21 PM

I use hearback setup as 44.1 24 bit with a 192 . make sure front switch is in adat position and that the clock light is green. on my 192 i'm using the adat output which is beside the AES in/out.not the ones beside the bnc connecter on pc Go to setup.. i/o setup.. and select output configuration.should show all 16 outputs of 192 Make sure that under the 192 i/o setup that you have stereo paths assigned to digital as well as mono sub paths set for channels 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 ,also make sure they are checked i renamed mine HDPH 1-2 etc. go to setup hardwire and set ext. clock output to 44.1 or 48k.. On each channel in the mix window go to send on channel and select interface should be able to select any channel as a stereo or mono send on a track by track basis. I used the furman system before the hearback so instesd of not using it i use the 6 analog channels 2-8 of my 192 to send to the furman out of the furman headphone jack and into the hearback line in and i can have 14 different headphone feeds. in pro tools i use the 1st send of each track so as to be able to have them all open for metering and quick adjustment as well as telling your clients whats on each track at glance. Hope this helps i've been using this way for 2 years now. odeu87
Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM

just wondering if you got hearback up and running