Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 PM

Default Pro Tools 2020.5 not launching

Hello - running a Mac Pro Mac OS 10.13.6. Just downloaded and re-installed 2020.5 again after trashing Pro Tools preference folder. Running into the same issue every single time. Launch gets through splash pane and begins loading plugins. It crashed every time it reached Native Instrument's "Massive" plugin. Is there some way for me to bypass this one plugin? If not, is there a way to open Pro Tools without scanning plugins? Thanks!
Old 07-11-2020, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.5 not launching

Are your plugins up to date? Compatible with 2020.5 and the macOS version?

I would have looked at the plugin first, checked its version and try a clean reinstall of the plugin if it's a supported version. All before messing at all with Pro Tools.

Pete Gate's PT Prefs, besides being the best way to trash prefs will also list all versions of plugins installed (that feature got added back recently).

For any misbehaving plugins you can move the corresponding .aaxplugin file out of the plugin folder ('/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins') put it anywhere else like 'Plug-Ins (Unused)'. Then trash prefs with PT Prefs. If you see strangeness, try removing the previous plugin that loaded before the one that looks like it caused problems, trash prefs. Still stuck move all .aaxplugin files out of the folder, trash prefs and try that. (Pro Tools will auto magically put back it's base plugins).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-11-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Are your plugins up to date? Compatible with 2020.5 and the macOS version?
Yes - all plugins are up-to-date. Also run Digital Performer and Logic - no problems at all. I just update Pro Tools from 2020.3 to 2020.5 and this is what happened. And like I said, it crashes each and every time when it reaches NI's Massive plugin. I will try removing it and re-starting to see if that helps. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:34 PM

All Darryl said and also if you have a older Mac Pro (pre 2013) cheesegrater you cant run Massive X as it needs to be run on a compatible Mac Pro i.e trashcan and or the new 2019 Mac Pro’s so so match f you are using the new updated Massive from NI you have to remove it from the folder Darryl posted.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-12-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
All Darryl said and also if you have a older Mac Pro (pre 2013) cheesegrater you cant run Massive X as it needs to be run on a compatible Mac Pro i.e trashcan and or the new 2019 Mac Pro’s so so match f you are using the new updated Massive from NI you have to remove it from the folder Darryl posted.
OP doesn't specifically state in his profile but it does look like he's running a 2012 cheesegrater so like you say he's out of luck running Massive X if that's indeed what he has. He just says he has Massive but not which version. And he'll also have a problem getting it to run in DP and Logic - doesn't matter which plugin format because of the cpu needed. I'd be willing to bet if he forces DP to do a rescan of his plugins the scanner will barf and put up an error alert.

QAPLA!
Old 07-12-2020, 11:38 AM

Hi Darryl,

How do you trash PT Prefs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Then trash prefs with PT Prefs. If you see strangeness, try removing the previous plugin that loaded before the one that looks like it caused problems, trash prefs. Still stuck move all .aaxplugin files out of the folder, trash prefs and try that. (Pro Tools will auto magically put back it's base plugins).
Old 07-12-2020, 11:48 AM

Follow the instructions under "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.

Or easier use Pete Gates' PT Prefs utility. http://petegates.com/pg-pt-prefs.html

Anybody using Pro Tools should be familiar with all the optimization and troubleshooting stuff under "Help us help you", so give that a read at some point.

Are you running Massive X... Christopher and Jack have much more specific points there.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:39 PM

Hi all - I did what Darryl suggested and ... YES! Pro Tools finally got past Massive - I removed Massive from the plug-ins folder - that was the first culprit. The next problem was SampleTank 3 so I removed that from the plug-in folder. The next issue (which I am currently working on) are some of my Izotope plug-ins. First the launch stalled on IZRX7Declipper. I re-launched and it stalled on IZRX7Deplosive. Since it got a little further along without me removing anything, I decided to launch PT yet again. This time it crashed on IZRX7Humremoval. I'm now on my 9th or 10th re-launch today. I do have a huge number of plug-ins. Another issue has now reared up - hanging on WaveShell2-AAX 11.0, specifically 11.052 Prefs. I'm gonna keep going until I get this application open.

This seems to me to be a fix that Avid should list. When I did a search for help, nothing from Avid came up. And I searched at least 10 different ways using as many possible terms I could think of. I thought that it was Massive that was my ONLY issue - it stopped there each and every time which is why I mentioned it. However, to be clear, there were very few (if any) fixes from Avid returned by my search. Avid should have easy and clear answers to issues like this.

Anyway, my sincere thanks to Darryl for jumping in here to help!
Old 07-12-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
OP doesn't specifically state in his profile but it does look like he's running a 2012 cheesegrater
Yes - OP is using a Mid 2012 Mac Pro
Old 07-12-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosindabow View Post
Hi all - I did what Darryl suggested and ... YES! Pro Tools finally got past Massive - I removed Massive from the plug-ins folder - that was the first culprit. The next problem was SampleTank 3 so I removed that from the plug-in folder. The next issue (which I am currently working on) are some of my Izotope plug-ins. First the launch stalled on IZRX7Declipper. I re-launched and it stalled on IZRX7Deplosive. Since it got a little further along without me removing anything, I decided to launch PT yet again. This time it crashed on IZRX7Humremoval. I'm now on my 9th or 10th re-launch today. I do have a huge number of plug-ins. Another issue has now reared up - hanging on WaveShell2-AAX 11.0, specifically 11.052 Prefs. I'm gonna keep going until I get this application open.

This seems to me to be a fix that Avid should list. When I did a search for help, nothing from Avid came up. And I searched at least 10 different ways using as many possible terms I could think of. I thought that it was Massive that was my ONLY issue - it stopped there each and every time which is why I mentioned it. However, to be clear, there were very few (if any) fixes from Avid returned by my search. Avid should have easy and clear answers to issues like this.

Anyway, my sincere thanks to Darryl for jumping in here to help!
When you start removing plugins remove a whole developer at a time, not just one at a time. Actually you should remove ALL plugins to the unused plugin folder as the Avid ones will reinstall on restart. Then move one developer's plugins back as a group, etc. Repeat as necessary.

Question: How did you get High Sierra on your computer? Was it as an in-situ where you installed over the top of an existing OSX install? That's not a good thing even though it's the Apple Way. Do a clean install of High Sierra and then reinstall everything from scratch. Do NOT use Migration Assassin.

QAPLA!