Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 AM

Default C|24 Compatibility with ProTools 12

I have a C|24. using ProTools 12, and have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 as my interface. The C|24 works perfectly with ProTools in all aspects EXCEPT for the monitor section. I can't figure out to set up the board to pass signal to my studio monitors. I'm not sure if the C|24 is supposed to appear in the list of Playback Engines, but it does not currently appear.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Default Re: C|24 Compatibility with ProTools 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Man Jones View Post
I have a C|24. using ProTools 12, and have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 as my interface. The C|24 works perfectly with ProTools in all aspects EXCEPT for the monitor section. I can't figure out to set up the board to pass signal to my studio monitors. I'm not sure if the C|24 is supposed to appear in the list of Playback Engines, but it does not currently appear.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
C24 Monitor section is all analog. No digital Interface for Protools to see. You need a separate DA interface. Just take the OUT analog signal from your interface to the Ins of the C24 and the Outs of the C24 to your monitor.

PT Ultimate - Mac Studio M1 Max - Monterey - RME Fireface UFX II - 2x S1, 1x Dock with an iPad 7th gen - Genelec 8330 5.1 setup
Old 12-03-2015, 09:41 AM

And mind that, while the capabilities of the C24's monitoring section is quite pleasing, especially if you're working in 5.1, but the downside is it introduces a crazy amount of noise. If you're using nearfield monitors it'd drive me up the wall.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 12-03-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu101 View Post
C24 Monitor section is all analog. No digital Interface for Protools to see. You need a separate DA interface. Just take the OUT analog signal from your interface to the Ins of the C24 and the Outs of the C24 to your monitor.
Ah, gotcha. We have it working now. Thanks
Old 12-03-2015, 12:27 PM

One quick unrelated question: How do I get the talkback mic to work? Do I need to route something in ProTools to make it work?
Old 12-03-2015, 12:46 PM

to Cues? that would be internal routing/turning TB on on the Cue controls (or that how it's non with the ICONs)
for Slate? you would need to take the TB mic out to an input on you interface

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
to Cues? that would be internal routing/turning TB on on the Cue controls (or that how it's non with the ICONs)
for Slate? you would need to take the TB mic out to an input on you interface
I guess a better question would be how do I hear the talkback? I don't even know where that signal is supposed to be sent.

I'm trying to use the talkback mic so that it can be heard through an external headphone rack. Is there an output on the C24 that can be used for this purpose?
Old 12-03-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Man Jones View Post
I guess a better question would be how do I hear the talkback? I don't even know where that signal is supposed to be sent.

I'm trying to use the talkback mic so that it can be heard through an external headphone rack. Is there an output on the C24 that can be used for this purpose?
Page 23 of the manual:

"Pro Tools In (PT 1-6 + Cue 1-2)
Main Inputs Connect the outputs from your
Pro Tools system to the Main Inputs.
Cue Inputs Connect cue outputs from your
Pro Tools system (such as a Send-based cue mix
routed to audio interface outputs) to the Cue Inputs."
>
Most stereo setups use 1-2 to the DA for Mains and leave out 3-6 for the 5.1 future upgrade, and use 7-8 to the DA for your cue mix setup. You'll hear your talkback in that feed.

...addicted to gear
Old 12-05-2015, 01:41 PM

I gave up on all "normal" talkback setups in favor of an "automated" system. I have a boundary mic(Crown PCC160, but any would work) on my desktop, another on the ceiling in the tracking room and a 3rd on the ceiling of my drum room. They all come in(via preamps) to 3 AUX tracks. Each has the Digirack compressor plugin, followed by Sound Radix' Muteomatic plugin(its free). All mics are open when transport is stopped so all rooms can converse(AUX sends feeding the headphone mixes) and as soon as I hit PLAY(or RECORD), they all mute. If the Pro40 is all you have for IO, just grab a Behringer ADA8000 or ADA8200 and connect via lightpipe to the Pro40 for 8 more preamps(the ADA8200 probably sounds just as good as the Focusrite)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave