Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 11-06-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Loading Sessions with Missing Plugins

Sometimes I just don't feel like sitting in the studio to do certain tasks on a session like editing/melodyne and such. So I grab my MBP, my iLok and my drive so I can sit in the living room and work comfortably. I've had a lot of bumps in the road trying to do this. In the studio my primary interface is an Apollo 8p so in the living room I start up Pro Tools holding down the S key so I can set the playback engine before loading the session.

My primary question to any of you doing something similar is...is there a way to globally tell Pro Tools not to attempt to load all the plugins it cannot find? Cancelling through 12 or 15 unfound plugins is tiresome. I do not want to use the "load Pro Tools with all plugins defeated" option because at least half of my plugins will load, just not the UAD plugs. When Pro Tools scans the plugins on loading it seems like there should be something like "option/return" command on the first prompt of an unfound plugin which would cancel all following unfound plugin prompt.

I'm really just trying to streamline this process so that moving between the studio and a more casual setting for light tasks is easy and quick. Of course I could use freeze track on everything except the track I need to edit before hand but that adds a step that interferes with convenience and spontaneity.

My other question regarding this scenario is...has anyone had success getting Pro Tools to output to Apple Airpods? I feel like I've made this work once before but can't seem to get the combination right now. My last attempt was assigning the output in the Pro Tools Aggregate to the airpods but no matter what I do Pro Tools hits me back with a the "unable to use current sample rate" prompt.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Loading Sessions with Missing Plugins

I'd create a new session with a stereo bounce of the instrumentation and the audio tracks of the vocals I want to work on.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:36 PM

I do exactly this but I have most stuff on all three computers just for this reason. All my systems are networked so I can check to see if the one I'm moving to has the relevant plugins from the system I am on, but mostly I know and I will create a second Session with the offending plugins disabled. Or if I am not sure and don't have the other system up to check it's actually pretty easy to disable ALL plugins and save that version before moving. Then I just enable what is on the laptop when I pull the session up on it.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:25 PM

Perhaps the only other option left that hasn't been suggested (although probably obvious) is to get an external UAD Satellite box for your laptop rig.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:00 PM

All the ideas above are good and would work but I need to keep it super simple in order to encourage me to work this way without some element of dread.

Optimally Pro Tools would simply allow me to cancel the "One or more plugins have been disabled" warning when loading with one button click. Seems pretty basic. Sort of the way that Apples finder tells you there are duplicates when copying files to another location and includes a box that you can select to apply your choice to all files.

For now I'm okay with clicking through every instance of missing UAD's plugs.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 PM

Track Freeze
Old 11-07-2018, 12:35 AM

When i do the "on the road" work I use Ableton Live 10 Suite as I do lots of Midi work with my shiny new MBP on airplanes and hotel rooms etc and I make a new plugin folder (dulicate and delete non installed plugins) where only the plugins that are available to me on the MBP are located and point to that folder when i start a session. Easy and hassle free

It involves a few shortcuts and setting up but only needs to be done once. Takes about 5 minutes or less when I did it.

This might be done in PT aswell but since I have all our plugins available for PT sessions on all our Macs I never tried. I take one of our UA Satellite boxes with me when I need to use PT on the road.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————