Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-17-2017, 02:46 PM

Default Suggestion: Avid, create a UAD-like eco-system around the HDX platform.

Avid, I think it would be great if you would do more 1st party plugin development and have more competitive pricing via sales, and vouchers around your plugin products.

It would also be cool if you made updates to some of your legacy products like the old Bomb Factory plugs. Make MKIIs, charge a reasonable $99 upgrade fee or whatever. Create incentives to get 3rd parties to make AAX DSP exclusive plugins as well.

You already have HANDS DOWN THE BEST DSP PLATFORM (because it is the most beautifully and tightly integrated the DAW, and all plugins can run BOTH DSP and Native) and you have a legacy of making so many great plugins too; you just need to unify and keep things fresh - right now it's all so fragmented and much of it seems so outdated.

Do more new development. Create a really cool store that engages people. Make people feel listened to. Make people feel proud to be Avid customers again. Customer engagement, excitement, loyalty and profits will dramatically increase by doing just this, because guess what, AAX DSP is Pro Tools exclusive! Take advantage of that!

You already took the first huge step and made the price of entry to HDX very reasonable. Take the next step!

Last edited by jsvalmont; 03-18-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Suggestion: Avid, create a UAD-like eco-system around the HDX platform.

I think that ship has sailed. HDX is great for large I/O counts, low latency and the few DSP plugins that exist, I just can't see developers jumping on board at this stage given the power of native and the market penetration of HDX.

Wishful ideas that will never happen: Avid licenses the UAD platform and releases a SHARC card that connects to the HDX TDM buss.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Suggestion: Avid, create a UAD-like eco-system around the HDX platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
I think that ship has sailed. HDX is great for large I/O counts, low latency and the few DSP plugins that exist, I just can't see developers jumping on board at this stage given the power of native and the market penetration of HDX.

Wishful ideas that will never happen: Avid licenses the UAD platform and releases a SHARC card that connects to the HDX TDM buss.
I disagree. The market potential of HDX could be effectively in its infancy if Avid just plays their hand right. They have the new VENUE systems now, plus they just dropped the price of HDX by ~60%. Now is the time to capitalize on that potential and give more reason for customers to jump on board. You are right, developers aren't going to make AAX DSP exclusive plugins all by themselves, Avid would need to sign up developers for exclusivity agreements like what UAD does -or like Microsoft/Sony do for platform exclusive video games. These are generally the "system sellers" or "killer apps".
Old 03-18-2017, 12:08 AM

Nobody buys DSP system because of some killer plugin, but yes it would be great if Avid sold more HDX cards; not because of the card sales, but if there were more HDX cards sold, plugin vendors would have greater incentive in developing AAX-DSP and not quit after AAX-native is released. And having more AAX-DSP plugins would be great for S3L/S6L owners who would have more choices. That, my friend, is the ultimate goal.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 AM

A for profit public company like Avid, run by non pro audio people, can't stomach the R&D needed to develop plugins the way UA does. UA is run by Bill Putnam Jr, whose dad is one of the pioneers of the industry (for those that don't know the story already), and he understands what it takes to do things right regardless of profit. This is partly why their products are more expensive than some of their competitors. Of course they are in business to make money, it's not a charity, but I know firsthand that maximizing profits isn't at the top of the list.

Avid wants to be a software company it seems, evidenced by them getting DAD to make them a modified version of their box for them.

BTW, what you're asking for is what the TDM world was and what Avid hoped HDX would be.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 AM

If Avid wants to be a software company and their products are more expensive than others, then the only logical conclusion is that their product is superior...
Old 03-18-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Nobody buys DSP system because of some killer plugin, but yes it would be great if Avid sold more HDX cards; not because of the card sales, but if there were more HDX cards sold, plugin vendors would have greater incentive in developing AAX-DSP and not quit after AAX-native is released. And having more AAX-DSP plugins would be great for S3L/S6L owners who would have more choices. That, my friend, is the ultimate goal.
Maybe not because of one single plugin, but eventually there be enough that you want and you give in. Again just look at UAD.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
A for profit public company like Avid, run by non pro audio people, can't stomach the R&D needed to develop plugins the way UA does. UA is run by Bill Putnam Jr, whose dad is one of the pioneers of the industry (for those that don't know the story already), and he understands what it takes to do things right regardless of profit. This is partly why their products are more expensive than some of their competitors. Of course they are in business to make money, it's not a charity, but I know firsthand that maximizing profits isn't at the top of the list.

Avid wants to be a software company it seems, evidenced by them getting DAD to make them a modified version of their box for them.

BTW, what you're asking for is what the TDM world was and what Avid hoped HDX would be.
I doubt maximizing profits isn't at or near the top of the list for Universal Audio, there is likely just a difference of mentality of how to achieve profits than Avid. Steve Jobs had a mentality like that. I think Avid had some problems where short sighted execs saw the short term benefit of milking their cash cows while cutting budgets for R&D, which probably boosted profits for a quarter or two and gave that exec a bonus for their 'great work', but then that really has hurt over the longer term because technology at a technology company simply can't grow stagnant.

You are sort of right on the claim that I am asking for a TDM-like world for HDX - yes but not exactly. HDX is different than TDM, and actually better in both software integration and hardware implementation (and also better than UAD in this regard). AAX DSP plugins by design must always be Native compatible as well, thus they are more flexible and transportable than UAD. This also makes them more in line with the world of today where people want max flexibility. Want to work on your mix at Starbucks on your laptop? - well just let the plugins open in Native mode while you are working there (or even implement a 'option to freeze all tracks with HDX plugins if session is opened without HDX card attached' feature - something which UAD could never do because it doesn't have Native versions to freeze). In the TDM world there was also still never a UAD like unified store experience with personalized vouchers that immerse you in the platform and make customers feel valued. Avid, invest in your products and your customers and see your brand revitalized!

Last edited by jsvalmont; 03-18-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
I doubt maximizing profits isn't at the top of the list for Universal Audio, there is likely just a difference of mentality of how to achieve profits than Avid. I think Avid had some problems where short sighted execs saw the short term benefit of milking their cash cows while cutting budgets for R&D, which probably boosted profits for a quarter or two and gave that exec a bonus for their 'great work', but then that really has hurt over the longer term because technology at a technology company simply can't grow stagnant.

You are sort of right on the claim that I am asking for a TDM-like world for HDX - yes but not exactly. HDX is different than TDM, and actually better in both software integration and hardware implementation (and also better than UAD in this regard). AAX DSP plugins by design must always be Native compatible as well, thus they are more flexible and transportable than UAD. This also makes them more in line with the world of today where people want max flexibility. Want to work on your mix at Starbucks on your laptop? - well just let the plugins open in Native mode while you are working there (or even implement a 'option to freeze all tracks with HDX plugins if session is opened without HDX card attached' feature - something which UAD could never do because it doesn't have Native versions to freeze). In the TDM world there was also still never a UAD like unified store experience with personalized vouchers that immerse you in the platform and make customers feel valued. Avid, invest in your products and your customers and see your brand revitalized!
I'm going to ignore the UA comments since there's no point in continuing.

As for Avid, I'm afraid you're about 6 years too late.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I'm going to ignore the UA comments since there's no point in continuing.

As for Avid, I'm afraid you're about 6 years too late.
If that's true then the best bet would be they sell Pro Tools off to someone who actually cares. If only I had the money!

P.S. Great article! That's exactly the kind of passion that I love to see from someone at the top of a company!