Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Default Slate Digital And UAD Where Are You ???

Yep amazing, if my memory serves me well pro tools 11 was released on the 21 of June . It's now November 6 months on and UAD and Slate Digital are still messing around no AAX Support. Whoops I lied, Slate Digital has blessed us with one. How on earth can you run a business not supporting your clients base plugins? I used to use slate digital to start building my tracks via his SD Drum package but I couldn't wait any longer, I had to buy other products - Superior Drummer. I'm sure other people have had to do the same. Well I guess we will have to wait for pro tools 12. The funny thing is they knew Pro tools 11 and 64 bit was coming probably 6 months to a year before that. So I guess that's a year or more Slate Digital and UAD have not been working on AAX . What a grand job guys I hope you're proud of yourselves. I think in this day and age where businesses are so arrogant that they don't have to look at their customers' needs, wants and yes even their desires to have their products supported.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Slate Digital And UAD Where Are You ???

AAX - x64 LATENCY
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 PM

I see UAD is released more plugins today they have released several plug-ins in the last 3 or 4 months that brings them money releasing a free upgrade for AAX 64 users seems low on the list.
Just an observation of the facts they way it appears to me. Same with Slate new plug-ins and products are very much a priority rather than AAX 64 - FGX last up date was April 2012 - it's not even AU/VST 64 bit yet.
I've owned it for 3 years I totally would even mind paying for major upgrades.
But all the whines would gripe about it. Waves charges every year for upgrades and people don;t like it but they put up with it. Software development is expensive and people have to realize if you want fast timely updates you have to pay for it. After all building those updates are NOT free. I charge clients for mix changes.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
I see UAD is released more plugins today they have released several plug-ins in the last 3 or 4 months that brings them money releasing a free upgrade for AAX 64 users seems low on the list.

snip ....

snip ....

tSoftware development is expensive and people have to realize if you want fast timely updates you have to pay for it. After all building those updates are NOT free. I charge clients for mix changes.
I couldn't agree more here and as you said -> Would pay a reasonable amount for larger upgdates like the AAX2 porting like Waves system is set up. We don't realize the man hours it take to port over rtas 32 bit to AAX 64 bit. I read somewhere it can be a 6-12 month ordeal for smaller companies so c'mon guys!! Give us something as we are thinking about getting rid of our Apollo Quad and the Apollo 16 for HDX 2 if this drags out longer. Release the beta as Soundtoys did and let us "taste" or atleast "nibble" on the new format Like UA there are several new plugins we would have purchased on the spot from email blasts IF we had any faith in your ability to finnish the porting but we found alternatives and we keep finding great alternatives every week nowadays! Our Win -> Your loss ...

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2013, 04:16 AM

What can you say except.. they'll be ready when they're ready.

UA is notorious for having VERY small (almost all in house) BETAs. Slate does the opposite, their BETAs are huge.

Slate has released 2 plugs (the two that are in their "new" framework) and UA has shown ALL of their plugs running AAX 64 at AES.

UA has said just yesterday that end of year is the official word. Slate seems like they will release them as they get finished.

I personally would rather wait longer and have a more stable, FREE release than to "pay" for speed. And by that I mean, you can't really do it IMO. DO they hire new guys to speed up the process? Doesn't work that way I think, especially is UA's case where there are 2-3 guys that are the brains of the operation.

This is a unique time that we likely won't see again for a LONG time if ever. The transition into the 64 bit for PT, while late, was done VERY well IMO. Way better than anyone else. (no bridges, allowed us to co install, etc)

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:45 PM

As we've seen before and noted above, whether we're disappointed or not, they will release when they release.

I do agree with Drew that the rollout of PT11 has been awesome. It's been more stable for me than PT10 due to the complexity and size (self imposed?) of my sessions. I'm delighted to be running non-crashing 6GB sessions, and delighted to be on Mavericks.

I would, however, love to see a "Pay to be a part of the Beta" program. Of course, it would be rebranded as an Exclusive Opportunity to Participate in a VIP Sneak Peak, but that would allow the quality to stay high (release schedule impact), keep the majority of those who like the free programs happy (Keep Customer Base) yet allow a bit of a cash influx to coordinate the bug reports (hopefully provide guidance to a faster, more stable release without affecting the dev teams) into something that the core dev team can more easily navigate. I'm sure I'll never see it - but I'd gladly pay to be a part of that in order to keep my session setups consistent and release ready (they take up the greatest amount of time to get consistent for me).

Anyways - I do wish that UAD would release ASAP. I'm on UAD hunger strike until they release AAX 64. As for Slate, I with they were a more mature dev shop such that they could have reliable status on their progress. They've pushed me to the brink of considering Waves NLS to replace VCC ... but so far, I'm holding pat - moving on without them. I predict we'll get VCC as a module part of their VMR (Virtual Mix Rack announced product).

It would also be prudent for Avid to provide a HIT SQUAD to assist getting high impact plugs into AAX 64 (and AAX-DSP) format ASAP. I love BlueCat Audio, but if I were Avid, I'd be concerned that people like me just stay VST based because of the wonderful flexibility PatchWorks imparts to its users. Something that even post AAX 64, I've been exposed to and Avid have no answer to as PT11 stands (and I wish they'd address via User Selectable Insert Presets).
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM

I talked to UA two days ago, and agree that it's best to wait for a STABLE release than be subjected to a release that "almost" works. In the meantime, though, I'm wrapping UA (and Lexicon and Nomad factory) 64-bit VSTs into PT11 with the Blue Cat Audio PATCHWORK. That's the reason I called UA in the first place, and their official stand is "don't use our stuff with a wrapper." (Funny...when I first bought these, they were ONLY VST and you had to use the Fxpansion VST-RTAS wrapper.)
Anyway, if you just GOTTA use PT11 and have your UA plugs, try Patchwork. It works just fine for me.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 PM

"Apollo Quad and the Apollo 16 for HDX 2"

Then sell that (HDX) since others AAX64 are not yet finished or DSP based....
Not a sound decision in my opinion as there are UA workarounds (Blue-Cat)
Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM

I don't believe that we should pay to test plugins which typically crash (i.e. betas) because we're the one's opening ourselves up to risk for the ultimate benefit of the manufacturer, but there's merit to expanding the beta team, but that's not all gravy because it's tougher (especially for smaller companies) to control and interpret the feedback.

In these cases, it's been explained to me that jumping from 32 bit to 64 isn't as simple as most believe. It's not a matter of doubling relevant maths, it's often a tedious and involved process.

I'm not making excuses for anyone who's late to the party (plenty of other companies were ready at PT11's launch, or soon after) but it's important to understand that this isn't a simple task.

That said, without question some company's resources continue to remain in marketing or other aspects which have nothing to do with AAX development, and they probably deserve some criticism for that. I won't point fingers.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 PM

In the case of Slate, there is only one thing I find disappointing. The people who most need PT 11 are those working with virtual instruments. I understand that they are rolling out their products a few at a time. I just wish SSD had been among the first.

Then again, perhaps that was the most difficult to port to AAX 64, so they went with others first.

Either way, all should be good by year's end.