Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM

Default Another dead Mbox Pro 2...please help!

My system had been working fine for several years, even though I haven't used it that much. The trouble started when I updated my Mac OS. Now I have no lights on the Mbox 2 Pro and ProTools LE won't launch. Here's the timeline/info:

Mbox 2 pro, purchased 10/06
Connected via firewire
Mac mini, Intel duo, OSX
LE Version 7.1.3
Upgraded Mac OS to Snow Leopard and found 7.1.3 wouldn't run
Installed 8.0.4
Mbox lights not lit...not recognized by mac. Protools wouldn't run because mbox was not connected
Uninstalled/reinstalled 8.0.4
Disconnected/reconnected mbox, reboot
Installed drivers on XP box...connected Mbox
No lights
Chime when mbox connected but not connected message when Mbox pro 2 icon in control panel clicked.
Installed 7.1.3 on XP box
No luck
Installed firmware checker/update tool on XP box, received “device not connected” messages

I just can't believe that you can “break” an mbox by updating software. I understand this is due to a failed firmware update but this would be something I'd indicate in BIG LETTERS on the installation package and the firmware update should be handled carefully, rather than something after the fact that the user doesn't even know about.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Another dead Mbox Pro 2...please help!

it happens
I usually can get it back running the firmware updater on a Windows machine but I haven't had to do it for some time

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm working on it now. Have been for..........for a while.

Using a little Dell laptop I got the green power light into flashing mode and a satisfying thump out of my audio monitors. This was after a ton of messing around and my only success came after installing 8.0.4 on my Dell.

Disconnected the Mbox and connected it to the Mac and I have a flashing amber power light. Tried the "FireWireHelper" fix per the Avid knowledge base but my Mac doesn't even have the mentioned “Mbox 2 Pro” folder" in /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/FireWire/Firmware. In any case, I ran the fix app and no change. Installing 8.0.5 on the Mac in the hopes that something good will happen.

If that doesn't work, I'll connect to back to the PC and leave it overnight.

By the way, the PC doesn't recognize the Mbox when connected and LE 8.0.4 doesn't run, but at least I got lights!!! Maybe the wimpy mini-firewire connection is at fault (I use the AC adapter when connected to the PC).

Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 PM

UPPDATE:

I got the unit working (all green lights, audio) with the PC. Pulled the firewire connection and AC adapter from the Mbox 2 Pro and connected to the Mac. Powered up the Mac and I get a flashing amber light on the Mbox. Argh.

Tried a driver update but that didn't help. Tried the "firewirehelper" procedure again.

Another connection to the Mac and now I have a SOLID amber light (which I think means I'm OK, just powered by firewire, rather than AC and a message about the hardware not compatible with my system.

I'm going to uninstall 8.0.5 in the morning and install 8.0.4.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:02 PM

FINAL UPDATE:

I'm up and running. All the installs/uninstalls didn't help. Here's what I did:

1. Restored my Mac to the previous OS (Leopard). Full wipe and restore with discs.
2. Updated to Snow Leopard using Mac disc.
3. Turned off updating in the Mac
4. Installed 8.0.4 from disc
5. Restart
6. Ran ProTools, connected MBox when prompted (firewire)
7. Waited

Lights came on, unit works, ProTools runs.

Unfortunately, I'm getting high-pitched pink noise when I move the mouse around/mouse over dock icons. This is coming through the monitors with the Mbox monitor volume down and all inputs disconnected, even when ProTools isn't running.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 PM

Could that be a USB ground loop? I had one between my Yamaha MOX8 used as a USB audio i/f and my PC because it was plugged into an outlet about 10 feet away from where the PC was plugged in. Is your MBox Adapter plugged into a different outlet than your Mac? Firewire has a ground connection that goes all the way through to the end device (MBox Pro). or...Do you have a USB device powered from a different outlet than your Mac and plugged into your Mac?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 PM

I'll check. IIRC, I have a wireless mouse plugged into USB, all devices share the same ground on the supply side.

I didn't have this noise using the previous OS and LE 7.1.4. Strange.

Thanks for your input. A group loop would be logical. I even unplugged the monitor and could hear the noise when I wiggle the mouse over the dock area...no change.