Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 AM

Default Wireless ProTools solution similar to Mackie DL1608?

I'm a singer-songwriter with Digi003 Rack and ProTools v.8.0.4 on an iMac. I had been considering getting a much-more-portable MacBook Pro to make it more practical to run ProTools live. But lately I'm tempted to buy the new Mackie DL1608 and an iPad instead (about a $1500-$1830 investment), because I've always wanted a wireless mixing solution. Is there a product within the same budget that will allow me to run my current version of ProTools wirelessly? Thanks...
Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Wireless ProTools solution similar to Mackie DL1608?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbass View Post
I'm a singer-songwriter with Digi003 Rack and ProTools v.8.0.4 on an iMac. I had been considering getting a much-more-portable MacBook Pro to make it more practical to run ProTools live. But lately I'm tempted to buy the new Mackie DL1608 and an iPad instead (about a $1500-$1830 investment), because I've always wanted a wireless mixing solution. Is there a product within the same budget that will allow me to run my current version of ProTools wirelessly? Thanks...
Well you could add an iPad into the mix of a laptop+003, and use either a control surface app or a screenshare app. Other tablets have similar capabilities as well.

The DL1608 is rather intriguing, though. It would be interesting to use for a live mix, but it doesn't look like it can record all tracks individually. But... Multiple iPads, 16 pres, DSP... I'm almost tempted now myself.

Damn, if this thing had a FW connection to plug into a DAW, it would be perfect.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM

iPad w the v control app to control pro tools.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbass View Post
I'm not sure exactly what youa re after but V-Control and AC-7/AC-7 Pro apps for the iPad let them work as very nice control srufaces for Pro Tools.

If I was using a live mixer I'd still like physical sliders (and would definitely not like *having* to use the iPad to do things). The competing PreSonus StudioLive mixers are nice, are Firewire interfaces and have nice iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad remote control solutions. the PreSonus can't operate as a Control surface for Pro Tools, I'm not sure whether the DL1608 can operate as a (HUI) surface either (but why woudl you its just an iPad interface so you might as well run V-Control or AC-7, oops except your using the iPad to drive the Mackie mixer.... ).

Darryl
Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 AM

Using Pro Tools live can be dangerous. Most acts that do that, have a dedicated operator that does nothing else, and they have a backup system in place. You might want to look into something like Ableton Live. One thing to be aware of with the Mackie rig is, for playback from the iPad, it must be in the dock. With my band, we have some sequences on an iPod that the drummer rolls(mono sequence on one side and click/count on the other).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Using Pro Tools live can be dangerous. Most acts that do that, have a dedicated operator that does nothing else, and they have a backup system in place. You might want to look into something like Ableton Live. One thing to be aware of with the Mackie rig is, for playback from the iPad, it must be in the dock. With my band, we have some sequences on an iPod that the drummer rolls(mono sequence on one side and click/count on the other).
I certainly was not meaning to suggest live use, I am not sure exactly what the OPs use exactly was. I was more considering these things as a live mixer that also gives you a handy recording interface.

I kind of want the small PreSonus for a handy mixer for just messing/jamming around,

Darryl