How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-23-2017, 07:10 AM

Default Re: The Waves Renaissance Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
And since we are talking about Waves I would just like to say....I checked how much to WUP my entire account and determined that WUP still sucks !
Still you usually do not have to WUP :) And still it is capped to $300 in any case.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 AM

Mine was $450 I believe

Then I have another account and I believe that's about the same.....

Thank God I don't need to update....yet
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Mine was $450 I believe

You need to select the checkbox saying "I will use plugins on one machine at a time" or something. Then it is capped to $300
Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Mine was $450 I believe

Andy above is right, but you don't feel you have to pay it to update.

Many devs offer you discounts, but they do charge an "upgrade fee" to go up the next version

My upgrade fee for RX is $400!! Right now SPL want about $70 or so from me to upgrade the Micros. I remember the Transient Designer and RockRack were over $50 each.

I'm pretty sure. Fabfilter charges like $100-150 for theirs. That's insane though. Just 2-3 of their plugins and you are effectively paying the WUP upgrade fee for all your Waves plugins. Maybe it's 20, maybe it's 50 plugins, it's different for everyone, but you'll get that upgrade for around $300 or so.

Now think about it for a second. What would happen if Waves were to drop their WUP model and make you pay $50-150 upgrade fee for every plugin!!! An update would cost in the thousands for many of us!!

To be honest, I'm glad they're just charging what they do with WUP... And you only need to pay it if there is an upgrade.

For extra value free plugins are added to bundles all the time, but only with WUP of course. So the thing I advise people is to wait until they see a major upgrade, like Version 10 or until they have added enough plugins to their bundle to justify the $300.

Until then just keep updating for free.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:07 AM

Umm... you're glad for paying Waves 300 a year but same time people are complaining about 99 a year PT support plan. I think there's a discrepancy, but maybe it's just you being a good Waves customer :)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
For extra value free plugins are added to bundles all the time, but only with WUP of course. So the thing I advise people is to wait until they see a major upgrade, like Version 10 or until they have added enough plugins to their bundle to justify the $300.
That's what bugs me. They once said their "gold" bundle is "everything" they make. Then they make more plugins and introduce "platinum" bundle which is now "everything" they make. Then there was "horizon" before they invented "mercury" which was supposed to be everything they make. Until there were "studio classics" which requires additonal license because of their licensing deal, and now there is "abbey road" stuff which also require additional license...

So myself being a Mercury + Studio Classics + Abbey Road customer this WUP isn't what it was supposed to be. Not to mention I bought that stuff TDM prices which were double compared to current offering. I still can't get over it when they back in the day promised to support "every major platform" and then not provide AAX-DSP versions of their plugins. They ate their words so I keep my wallet shut.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That's what bugs me. They once said their "gold" bundle is "everything" they make. Then they make more plugins and introduce "platinum" bundle which is now "everything" they make. Then there was "horizon" before they invented "mercury" which was supposed to be everything they make. Until there were "studio classics" which requires additonal license because of their licensing deal, and now there is "abbey road" stuff which also require additional license...

So myself being a Mercury + Studio Classics + Abbey Road customer this WUP isn't what it was supposed to be. Not to mention I bought that stuff TDM prices which were double compared to current offering. I still can't get over it when they back in the day promised to support "every major platform" and then not provide AAX-DSP versions of their plugins. They ate their words so I keep my wallet shut.
It's not an invalid point.

But you don't have to be paying that $300 a year, it's only a good idea to pay it when you are getting at least $300 of new plugins back out of it. You could go for years without ever having to pay for it.

And while they did change what their "everything" bundle was, you don't have to upgrade. If you do however, you wouldn't have to pay WUP on it initially. Again it could be few years before you need it. So in this case it's like my first statement, youre paying something extra and getting the plugins for it. It's a bit of a win really.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Renaissance Compressor is still one of the most used. And the fact that Waves chose that algorithm to their hardware boxes says a lot.
I use this a lot for sidechaining things, although the Fab Filter Pro MB has pretty much taken over for my kick and bass sidechaining since it allows me to target only certain frequencies. But I still use RComp as my main SC for ducking delays and reverbs to vocals.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Umm... you're glad for paying Waves 300 a year but same time people are complaining about 99 a year PT support plan. I think there's a discrepancy, but maybe it's just you being a good Waves customer :)
Hell yeah! These guys are funny. Lololol! Man I haven't updated my Waves since 2014. Don't see the need to at this point. I have the gold bundle and I don't think anything has even been added to it since I bought it. So I don't even know what I would be paying for other than to say I'm current. I've been using mostly UAD and Fabfilter stuff anyway, and recently some iZotope stuff.

EDIT: Actually just looked at my bundle. Looks like there was about 4 or 5 plugins added. Not sure I would ever use them though!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 03-29-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Haha! Would be totally valid if WUP was a subscription, which is not the case. So many people think it is and get pissed off about it. I believe I did not WUP anything since buying it. Just was no reason to do it so far.