Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2017, 12:48 AM

Default ProTools frustration. Any ideas ? Focusrite gear.

Not generally related to PT, but it is problematic.
Had my humble studio set up for recording and writing.
PT 12.2, UR 22, ISA one pre, HS5 monitors, Neuman TLM 102.
Set up and ran flawlessly for 12 mths.
Then i upgraded (or thought i had) to a Scarlett 18i20, Octapre MKii Dynamic.
Loaded software (Mix control) synced the 18i20 + Octapre.
Now I'm having nothing but issues, PT won't load without error message, won't find playback engine, has to be reset all the time sometimes won't work at all and constantly freezes.
WTF, Why ?
16gb Ram Windows 7 64, Intel i5 processor 3.2gHz.
Frustrated to the max, work to be done ..........
Old 01-02-2017, 02:23 AM

Default Re: ProTools frustration. Any ideas ? Focusrite gear.

Sounds like the issue is with the Focusrite and not PT. I had some issues when I switched to a Focusrite 8i6. I found the tech assistance at Focusrite very helpful. You might want to contact them.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:12 AM

I have contacted Focusrite for assistance concerning many problems I've had since the purchase. Though it was not related to this question, it was due to pops n clicks which I think I've resolved , though not fully. I have found their support slow and generic, without any real problem solving, topped off by the fact they are 12 hours behind, communication has been frustrating at best.
Still feel this is a PT issue.

Last edited by Lenedge; 01-02-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:03 PM

Have you tried the basics such as holding down the 'N' key while PT loads, selecting the Focusrite from the Playback Engine, then going into the I/O setup and defaulting the Input, Output and Bus?

Also, make sure that Windows is not trying to use the Focusrite as a sound device. This almost always leads to problems.

Trash the preferences? Use the Sweetwater Guide for instructions.

Lastly, does the Focusrite work with any other audio programs? If you don't have any others, maybe try to use it as a Windows sound device (just for testing) and see if the audio is clean. If not, there may be a driver issue where you will need to uninstall the drivers, clean your system (Focusrite would be the best source for this) and reinstall the drivers.

System Details
Old 01-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Seem like this Focusrite driver issue won't let go anytime soon ..

Been screwing with members setups for a year or more now and still doesn't work so I would also say it isn't a PT / Avid issue and rather a Focusrite issue compiled with Apple so ... stay on the Focusrite team. They usually solves most issues pretty quickly,

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-03-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenedge View Post
Not generally related to PT, but it is problematic.
Had my humble studio set up for recording and writing.
PT 12.2, UR 22, ISA one pre, HS5 monitors, Neuman TLM 102.
Set up and ran flawlessly for 12 mths.
Then i upgraded (or thought i had) to a Scarlett 18i20, Octapre MKii Dynamic.
Loaded software (Mix control) synced the 18i20 + Octapre.
Now I'm having nothing but issues, PT won't load without error message, won't find playback engine, has to be reset all the time sometimes won't work at all and constantly freezes.
WTF, Why ?
16gb Ram Windows 7 64, Intel i5 processor 3.2gHz.
Frustrated to the max, work to be done ..........
If you have Mix Control, it seems your 18i20 is the 1st Gen. Have you tried beta drivers/Mix control from http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/scarlett_mixcontrol/ ?

Before Ive got 1820 2nd Gen, I worked without problems with 18i8 1st Gen especially with betas but, unlike yours, my PC rig uses Win 10 Pro.

Do you use ADAT or word clock sync with Octopre? In most occasions, poor quality cables can give you lots of troubles so checking them is one of the options to solve issues..

If you have 18i20 2nd Gen, don't even try to install idiotic Pro Tools First drivers unders any circumstances.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8