Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2018, 12:40 PM

Default Plugin disabling in multi user setup

I doubt there is, and I tried a few things and searched this forum and the interwebs, but I was wondering the following:

Can you setup an OSX multi user system were certain plugins are only available/visible in certain users? So if I install a bunch of plugins in my user that would be on my iLok for instance, they're not seen in someone else's user so they don't get messages that the authorization is not available or asked if they want to move the plugins to the unused folder.

Would be a handy feature if it can't.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Plugin disabling in multi user setup

Since plugin folders are located in the system library folder, not user library folder, I don't think there is a way to automate this.

Here's what I would do:
On each user, create an alias of the Plugins folder and the Unused plugins folder and put them on the desktop. Color code the aax files according to who is going to use them, and instruct the users to manually move the files from one folder to the other before they launch PT. Should be workable, and not too much hassle. Set the folders to sort by color. IHTH.

Edit: Of course, you could create applescripts to automate this moving of aax files, but that's another cup of tea.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Plugin disabling in multi user setup

Create alias folders in the System plugins folder for each user that links to the actual folder located in each user's document folder. Drag the AAX plugins that belong to each user, to their alias'ed folder while logged in as each user.

Pro Tools should not be able to follow down the alias (sym-link) folder to a folder located in a private user account so will dead-end when scanning for plugins on those folders if not logged in as that user.

You just need to make sure you do this in the right order (or know how to change permissions on folders) so you don't create system accessible folders but create user owned folders in each user's document folder. Create the folder first in the user account/Documents and then place the alias in the System Plugins folder (will have to do this for each user as logged in as each user). You can also have duplicates (say two people have the MDW EQ plugin, you can copy the AAX to both user's plugin folders)