Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2015, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 5.1 export channel order

For anyone still being annoyed by this, there's a free solution now: MChannelMatrix by Melda Production. Easily swap your layout around until it matches the CAF channel-order (SMPTE).
Old 07-27-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vision View Post
When working in Pro Tools, the tracks support Dolby order (LCRLsRsLFE). When doing a bounce to disk or exported as files command, you end up with discrete files, as Pro Tools doesn't support poly wave files in tracks or on export. Given the naming convention used by Pro Tools (.L, .R, etc) you should be able to just go to the audio files folder (or where ever you exported to) and pick the individual files, and then load into say, an AC-3 encoder program. Drenkrom is correct, if however, you need a poly wave in a specific format (SMPTE for example), then that is program for you.
Since PT10, it does support polywavs, import, natively and export.

However, when you export an interleaved 5.1 WAV, it has the channel ident flags, but not all software can read them properly. Windows media player and Nero can, QuickTime and Premiere Pro do not, resulting in channels being laid and played out in the wrong order.

QuickTime expects the layout to be LRCLfLsRs. So if it does a tail end fold down to stereo, the placement will be wrong on that as well.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 PM

Does anyone know of a utility that will rearrange the order of the tracks of an already exported file, in case we need to deliver files in the Film format, or the DTS format?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:49 AM

I believe Wave Agent does this...!?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno Peeters View Post
I believe Wave Agent does this...!?

That's what I was hoping since it is free, but I couldn't figure out how to do it without spitting out a bunch of mono files, renaming, and then importing again.

Is there a way to go from poly file to poly file with the tracks re arranged?
Old 11-10-2015, 03:06 AM

I created a plug-in that will
I created a simple plug-in that converts "Film" to Smpte layout. Easy to bounce.
Let me know if it helps

http://www.cocellproductions.com/Fiss/Fiss.php
Old 06-08-2016, 03:23 AM

I wonder about that it seems to be different in my setup: Using PT HD10.3.10 on OSX. Routing in PT is straight forward and default ("Film"), meaning L-C-R-Ls-Rs-LFE. When I bounce to a interleaved WAV, and then open this 5.1 WAV with every multichannel tool I have, it opens it in the ITU/SMPTE channel order of L-R-C-LFE-Ls-Rs (FCP7, Cubase6, SoundStudio4, DolbyMediaDecoder). With this I assume that PT bounces interlaved 5.1 WAV actually in the ITU order, although PT internal and physical output is in "Film" order.
(It's different when I bounce to a interleaved AIF: When doing so, the channel order is actually PT/Film style.)

Did I overlook something?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqb View Post
I wonder about that it seems to be different in my setup: Using PT HD10.3.10 on OSX. Routing in PT is straight forward and default ("Film"), meaning L-C-R-Ls-Rs-LFE. When I bounce to a interleaved WAV, and then open this 5.1 WAV with every multichannel tool I have, it opens it in the ITU/SMPTE channel order of L-R-C-LFE-Ls-Rs (FCP7, Cubase6, SoundStudio4, DolbyMediaDecoder). With this I assume that PT bounces interlaved 5.1 WAV actually in the ITU order, although PT internal and physical output is in "Film" order.
(It's different when I bounce to a interleaved AIF: When doing so, the channel order is actually PT/Film style.)

Did I overlook something?
The tracks are internally labelled and other software will pick this up and put the channel layout in the order it wants.