Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2015, 12:11 PM

Default MIDI:Assign different sounds to drum pads?

This is my first time using midi and i'm having trouble figuring out how to assign different sounds to the drum pads while playing a different sound on the keys.

I am using the Akai mini mpkII, 25 keys with 8 Pads all velocity and i do have the midi editor downloaded.

I would also like to be able to use the drum pads to play different parts of a sample.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:44 AM

Default Re: MIDI:Assign different sounds to drum pads?

Let me get this straight:
You want to play a certain sound (say piano) on the keys and trigger a different sound from the pads? I think the only way you're going to be able to do this is to send the keyboard to one MIDI channel and the pads to another MIDI channel.

QAPLA!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Let me get this straight:
You want to play a certain sound (say piano) on the keys and trigger a different sound from the pads? I think the only way you're going to be able to do this is to send the keyboard to one MIDI channel and the pads to another MIDI channel.
I'm having a hard time looking for information on this, like a tutorial. How would i be able to send the keyboard to a separate channel and the pads to a different channel? Is it just that pro tools is rare?

(by the way the keyboard and the pads are on one midi controller together) just letting you know if you dont already know.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyDooDoo View Post
I'm having a hard time looking for information on this, like a tutorial. How would i be able to send the keyboard to a separate channel and the pads to a different channel? Is it just that pro tools is rare?

(by the way the keyboard and the pads are on one midi controller together) just letting you know if you dont already know.
You would have to look at the documentation for your keyboard to see if what I wrote is possible. This isn't just a PT thing but for any daw - if you want different sounds to be played by the same controller you need to be able to split the keyboard. Some keyboards allow for split zones across the keyboard where one group of notes plays one sound, another group another sound, etc.

I know the pads and keyboard are on one piece of equipment.

QAPLA!
Old 08-18-2015, 04:41 AM

I went to the Akai site and downloaded the manual for your keyboard. Reading that it says you should be able to edit what the pads do by using the mini editor you have downloaded. It also says that there's a user manual in the editor download package. So it's a case of you having to dig into the editor software and manual to figure out how to do what you want.

QAPLA!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I went to the Akai site and downloaded the manual for your keyboard. Reading that it says you should be able to edit what the pads do by using the mini editor you have downloaded. It also says that there's a user manual in the editor download package. So it's a case of you having to dig into the editor software and manual to figure out how to do what you want.
Thanks for the help and information.