Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 05:16 AM

Default mixing boards

I use a digi002 right now and i really like the feel of a big mixing board when im mixing. I was just curious to see what peoples opinions are on what to do about using some sort of bix mixing board with protools and what the best way to go is. Ive thought about getting a used control 24 but i dont know if it would be worth it using a control 24 with a digi002. I dont know im just rambling now but anyways. Just curious.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: mixing boards

I use the Tascam Dm24. Works great with pro tools and has powerful automation as well. It has taken me a while to figure out how to use it but slowly but surely I can see the extent of its versatility.
I saw one for sale at the Guitar Center for 1599.00 without the meter bridge. The meter bridge is scarce and hard to find, and it's not cheap (mine cost $600) but worth every penny.
Check it out on the Tascam web site
Tascam.com
Good Luck
Old 09-02-2004, 06:18 PM

Im a little confused on how to hook up a digital mixer with protools. Are you using TDM or LE? Im running a digi002 and i dont understand how a digital mixer gets into protools. Sorry thanks for any replies.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:36 PM

i was also looking at the behringer Eurodesk MX9000 but i am still not sure how to incorporate the analog mixer into protools. I need some help haha if anyone wants to help me out they can instant message me on nattydread002. Thanks
Old 09-02-2004, 07:05 PM

A DM1000 would also work great. It has built in support for PT and will take control via USB.
San Diego, CA
Old 09-02-2004, 09:10 PM

The quality of new mixing consoles has gone to crap. The components of most units are hard wired and the IC's are from some no name Korean distributor. In a few posts I suggest checking out some older quality mixing consoles. The old tascam 520 and even the M3500 are great units especially when upgraded with better IC's and a better regulated power supply.

I don't want to start an argument when I say: try to make Behringer a last resort if you can. If you can afford an MX9000, you can at least scrape together enough to get a passable Mackie 24-8(Not the best unit either, but at least it's handmade). The Behringer units have different feeling controls from channel to channel(tight knobs, rough faders) and the statistics they give you on the website are not entirely accurate(Headroom most especially). Also, try messing with that EQ on the thing. Seriously-just TRY. The sweeps are too inaccurate to give you precise adjustment.

I guess it also has to do with what you're looking to do. If you're just going to record yourself and an occasional friend on bass or something(Figuratively), you'd be better off getting some nice pre's instead just because you'll never need 32 simultaneous inputs if you're mixing in your bedroom. I know so many "producers(HA!!!!!)" who have these Mackie giants in a small closet just to run an MPC and a triton through. A waste.

If you're doing a live band, Analog-8/16/24/32 bus console is the only realistic way to go. Check out eBay for a company called TAC. They make semi-pro consoles(Amek/Neve subsidiary) and I had one for years and it was BEAUTIFUL! Tac scorpion 32ch-16bus modular console. This is made by a company that actually wants to give you a GOOD product. Other manufacturers to keep an eye out for: MCI(R&B legend console'Philly International, etc.'), Sound Workshop(Made the soundtrack for Dirty Dancing), Speck(British Indie Console), Trident(Find a frame and build your own...), and my console, Hill. Hill is essentially a baby Trident or Harrison console made for 'modular' engineering(Live/Studio recording). The important thing about all of these consoles are that they spent no time on a conveyor belt, but in the hands of a professional(As opposed to some factory in Mexico because free trade is cheaper than quality...)
Old 09-04-2004, 03:47 AM

Im also using the Dm-24 with LE, and think it is a wonderfully flexible set up to have. As far as setting the Dm-24 with Pro Tools I have 16 channels sent to my Digi 001 (8 channels via ADAT lightpipe and 8 channels via the optional analog card) and this setup works flawlessy. The spdif channels are used to monitor the Pro tools stereo buss through the DM-24. You can also send all 16 channels back to the Tascam to mix digitally "outside of the box" if you so choose.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:53 PM

hey man i got a dm-24 today and i need some help setting everything up im kinda confused if you could get ahold of me somehow through this or another way. I have a instant message name at nattydread002 or you can email me at [email protected] thanks alot
Old 09-07-2004, 10:28 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the 01v96 from Yamaha? As a control surface it's superb, with it's remote layer and user defined keys. A tough road worthy mixer, it's proven to be. We used one on four different movies as a production board, one of them three months in Maine. Never a glitch. It sounds great. The studio manager software is very solid and works alongside protools well. A little bit of a learning curve, but it can do anything with all the slot options you have. I can put all 18 tracks of the 002 down at once and still have enough hardware left for 4 different monitor mixes with an 8ch optical/analog interface, like the alesis AI3 or better yet the unit behringer makes with 8 mic pre's.
Check it out.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:01 AM

To Orbro,
I have the same set up as you and need some help to get all 16 channels from PT's back to the tascam dm to mix digitally, can you walk me through your set up on how to do this. You mentioned the spdif ports used to monitor the PT 's stereo buss through Tascam, how is that set up also.
I would appreciate some help. Thanks