Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2003, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Sampletank and LE

So does that mean I pass?
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-15-2003, 09:16 AM

I'm having the same problems as QMCQMUSIC, and I didn't see that he solved his problem. I have carefully followed the instructions:

* Start a session in Pro Tools.
* Create a new blank Stereo AUX channel (LE) or Stereo Audio Channel(Mix & HD).
* Load Sampletank as an insert on the aux/audio channel.
* Once the Sampletank interface comes up click on the Root button. Now go to the main Mac hard drive, then IK Multimedia then open it.
* Now click ONCE on Sampletank Instruments then click Choose.
* Now load a sound by double clicking on the name of the sound in the ST interface.
* Now make a new midi track, then go to the output of the Midi track and output it to the sound or sampletank channel that comes up.

Also, my aux fader is up. Like QMCQMUSIC, I'm getting a MIDI signal in Sampletank, therefore a Sampletank instrument has been selected and the MIDI track is set up correctly. The only "minor" problem is that there is no audio in the aux track. IK Media support has replied with standard instructions, not troubleshooting help.

Any further suggestions?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:47 AM

here's where you're losing me:

Quote:

* Once the Sampletank interface comes up click on the Root button. Now go to the main Mac hard drive, then IK Multimedia then open it.
* Now click ONCE on Sampletank Instruments then click Choose.
* Now load a sound by double clicking on the name of the sound in the ST interface.
* Now make a new midi track, then go to the output of the Midi track and output it to the sound or sampletank channel that comes up.
i don't click on the "root" button for ST, i just nagivate through the directories and pick the sound i want. here's my process as best i can recall (i'm not at my setup)

*first, i open a midi channel, an aux input and an audio channel.

*on the aux input, i select ST as an input (not an insert, i.e., i'm using the top round button boxes, not the diamond boxes in the middle of the strip). i pick an instrument i want to use from the directory in ST (no root button, no going back to the mac hard drive), and i send it's signal out to a bus (usually bus 1/2).

*i go to the midi channel to select its output, and in that box are a number of options, including the name of the ST instrument i clicked on in the aux channel. i click on that ST instrument in the midi channel's output and record enable the midi channel.

*i go to the audio track and set its input to the aux track's bus out (e.g., bus 1/2) and record enable that track.

you already said you ensure the fader is up.

this works for me. very difficult to communicate just in text -- i think there's a good visual of this in the little printed handbook you get with your PTLE system.

Quote:

Also, my aux fader is up. Like QMCQMUSIC, I'm getting a MIDI signal in Sampletank, therefore a Sampletank instrument has been selected and the MIDI track is set up correctly. The only "minor" problem is that there is no audio in the aux track. IK Media support has replied with standard instructions, not troubleshooting help.

Any further suggestions?

in the above description, i mentioned sending the aux out through a bus and into another audio track and record-enabling both the midi and audio tracks. are you doing that?

sorry if this is old ground for you...this ticked me off for weeks until i finally had it working 2 sessions in a row (i'm a neophyte...). you're probably more advanced at this than i am, so my apologies in advance if this seems really juvenile...

steve
Old 10-15-2003, 10:28 AM

Steve,

Thanks very much for your reply. I will look at your steps again this evening, but I don't think you're doing anything that I'm not doing. We know that SampleTank is added as a plug-in on the first insert (the round button boxes at the top of the fader strip). We know that an instrument has been successfully loaded because it shows up as an output option in the MIDI track. We know that the SampleTank instrument has been selected as output of the MIDI track because I'm getting a MIDI signal in SampleTank, channel 1. In my case the Aux track with SampleTank has its output going to the main fader output (1&2), rather than being bussed to an audio track, but that's not relevant to the problem of getting no audio signal in the Aux track. SampleTank should be transforming the MIDI it receives into an audio signal in the track it's installed on, but it's not.

Anyone else have a suggestion?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:12 PM

By the way.... Is "Low Latency Monitoring" enabled???
Old 10-16-2003, 09:21 AM

OK guys, figured it out. Maybe this will help someone else.

I had everything set up correctly, except I was using a MIDI and aux track only. Once I bussed from the aux track to an audio track it started playing. I'm a bit mystified why this should make a difference, as a signal going to an aux track with its output set to the main fader can normally be heard. But as long as it works I'm not going to question it.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:44 AM

Quote:
OK guys, figured it out. Maybe this will help someone else.

I had everything set up correctly, except I was using a MIDI and aux track only. Once I bussed from the aux track to an audio track it started playing. I'm a bit mystified why this should make a difference, as a signal going to an aux track with its output set to the main fader can normally be heard. But as long as it works I'm not going to question it.
well last night, i noticed that you didn't mention using an audio track when you said you were doing basically exactly what i described. so i clandestinely went to my setup to try what you were doing (just the midi & aux tracks). oddly enough, it worked for me! so i'm glad you have a working solution using midi, aux & audio tracks (that's how i've been doing it all along), but you must still have some sort of problem because the setup you describe that doesn't work for you worked for me.

hmfff?

steve

Old 10-16-2003, 10:25 AM

DUDE... once again: You are in LOW LATENCY MONITORING mode... !!!!!! That's why sampletanks got bypassed....