Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2004, 03:34 AM

Default HELP!!?? Recording Vocals with Compressor

I have Pro Tools LE and an MBOX.......I have found when recording vocals the quality varies and also db varies depending on how loud u sing at different points in a track.
Can someone please explain how to setup the compressor for recording so the vocals are at a constant level through the track.......if there is an easier or better approach than using the compressor in audio suite please let me know........I have tried recording vocals and then using the compressor but I find it works ok while vocals occur but inbetween u get a rise in db causing fuzz which is annoying...please help!

can u set the mbox up to fix this problem while you record instead of making changes after recording the vocals?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: HELP!!?? Recording Vocals with Compressor

You must set the input volume to the level where your loudest parts wont clip. You will never have a completely linear sound patern with vocals like you do with bass and guitars. Personally I achieve quite good results with software compressors "after" the recording. But I don't even have an hardware compressor anyway!

I've seen some technicians recording smooth parts on a track and chorus or louder parts on another one, I personally don't like it as it break the natural feeling you have when you sing the whole song. I preffer doing my best to control my voice while I'm doing the performance, then in the mix I add the compressor and I use automations to adjust the volume curve and EQ's on the whole song. Maybe some more experienced users would have different answers but that's how it is for me...
Old 04-14-2004, 02:33 PM

I always track vocals with an outboard compressor (distressor in my case). Depending on the situation, I will use a very mild ratio 2:1, 4:1 and rather moderate attack and release, OR a 10:1 (british mode) fast attack/release to take the big peaks off. Just make sure if you are using the more aggressive approach not to clamp down too much, because you cant undo it I prefer the more aggressive approach as it smoothes out the majority of the really rough edges in one whack. When you mix you can just add more compression and ride the fader to get the right levels and feel

Old 04-14-2004, 09:23 PM

How do I record using the compressor in pro tools LE?
I know how to use it afterwards……but I would rather set it to compress as I record vocals

Old 04-14-2004, 09:50 PM

I wish production mixers and ADR mixers would use a compressor when recording dialogue or ADR.
My 2 DBs
Old 04-16-2004, 07:01 AM

You cannot track using a plugin to avoid converter clipping, as the plugin is after the conversion. You need an ouboard compressor, which is connected to the insert points of the M-box, after the mic pre but BEFORE the A-D converter.

Putting a plugin on a track when tracksing only monitors the digital signal through the plugin, it doesn't record the plugin. If you remove the plugin after recording you will hear the uncompressed signal.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:27 AM

Quote:
How do I record using the compressor in pro tools LE?
I know how to use it afterwards……but I would rather set it to compress as I record vocals

You can use a PT plugin compressor like an outboard if you setup your input like this:

* Create an AUX input.
* Set the input of the AUX channel to the hardware input that your mic signal is coming in (let's say Analog 1 for the sake of this example).
* Set the output of your AUX to one of PTs internal bus assignments (let's say BUS 1).
* Place your compressor as an insert on the AUX channel.
* Create an AUDIO track.
* Set the inout of the audio track to the output of the AUX (BUS 1 in our example).
* Record enable the AUDIO track.

You will now track with the compression, but be careful you cannot undo the compression when you're done so set it carefully - you can always add more later. If you're just trying to avoid overs, you could use a limiter instead.

HTH

Always err on the side of perfection.