Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-19-2002, 07:09 PM

Default expansion chasis

ok Ive read hours worth of posts on mbox and laptops and 1 thing confused me. A post from a couple of months back said its pointless to use a laptop because an expansion chasis will cost another $1000.

but now that mbox is out my question is can i go get a ibook ($1294) and mbox($400)and not have to worry about buying anything else. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thanks for helping the newbies out.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Default Re: expansion chasis

Yes. iBook + Mbox = All you need to get going.

Not to confuse things, but you may want to add an external hard drive at some point if you find you are not getting the track count that you need, but you may never need to add more than the iBook and the Mbox. I would highly recommend that you add more RAM than the 128 MB that the iBook may ship with. RAM is still relatively cheap, and an extra 128 MB, giving you 256 will make your whole system perform better, Pro Tools & other apps. You can either have the dealer include the extra RAM, or add it yourself for a lot less. It's not difficult at all, and folks here can help you with that.

The Magma expansion chassis [ www.magma.com ] adds PCI slots for PCI cards like the Digi 001 internal PCI card the connects to the breakout part of the Digi 001.

The Mbox is a single unit that connects to your USB port, so you don't need a PCI slot.

Take a look at the pictures in the Products section for a better idea of the individual components in each Pro Tools system.